My R. J. Macready build (The Thing-1982)

PieSix

So as it seems half the cast of the film is going to be at Monster Mania, I felt it to be high time to seize this golden opportunity and do a Macready costume, complete with flamethrower, which I will attempt to chronicle in this thread.

I have done a bit of research on this costume but still have many gaps in my info, so anyone who has info, please feel free to chime in. My basic build is going to be:

Jacket-
G1 style brown leather flight jacket with ribbed cuffs and waist, non-detachable fur collar, off-white fur lining, non-belted back and snap closure front pockets. The original jacket was made by Schott of New York, but those are very hard to find these days and expensive when you do. Fortunately the G1 is a pretty standard pattern and other makers have identical configurations for much cheaper.

Flight suit-
Appears to be a standard US military set of sage green flight coveralls.

Blue hoodie-
Pullover type (no front zipper-you can see in several closeups that the hood base crosses over itself...a feature exclusive to the pullover type) in Carolina blue or a similar shade.

Gray T-shirt-
In some shots it looks heathered, in some not. I will probably opt for standard type.

Longjohn top-
Non-waffle type with round crew neck, off white.

Boots-
Appear to be a military type combat boot or possibly a logger boot. In some shots they look black, in others a dark brown. If anyone can clarify, please do so.

"Sombrero"-
Not truly a sombrero but a tall wide brimmed cowboy hat that has been reshaped. The crown is approximately 6" tall with 4 indentations at the top, similar to a Drill Instructor hat. The brim is around 5-6" wide, turned up severely at the front and back, with a lesser curl up on each side. The hatband is a wide strip of leather with a leather braid around the center and long leather ties that run through the brim to tie at the neck. Several companies offer a repro of this hat but they are between $400-$800. I plan on making my own from a blank.

Gun belt-
Brown leather with cartridge loops sewn in. The buckle is single tine, rectangular with clipped corners. Appears to be brass. Holster is also brown leather, cowboy type with a strap across the lower half.

Cold weather gloves-
Black ski gloves with a chevron pattern on the backs of the hands, short gauntlet style.

Flamethrower-
Vietnam era M2A1-7 flamethrower. I plan on building this out of PVC pipe and plumbing parts for the most part.

Aside from this list are various doo-dads like shop goggles, dynamite sticks in WWII Thompson 5 cel mag pouches, etc. which I guess will be addressed as I progress. Hopefully some pics to come soon.

Quick update, here is th G1 I will be using. Not a Schott but it has all the features. The leather is a bit shiny. Kurt Russel's jacket had a very matte look to it in every scene, indoors and outside, so I will be rubbing the entire jacket down with alcohol to dull down the finish. IMG_1029.JPG

Great find on the jacket.

I still have my Schott which I bought in 1977!

Don't forget the vintage Vuarnets he wore which you can still find on E-bay

IMG_1033.JPGThis morning I had a bash with the rubbing alcohol to see what it would do to the shine on the jacket and was pretty impressed. One pass dulled it down substantially. I only did half of the jacket so you can see the difference. Hopefully additional applications will dull it down even more, as the screen worn jacked had an extremely matte appearance. Alcohol is a good first attempt at doing this because it dries fast and is much less harsh on the leather than using acetone (which is more of a nuclear option for deglazing).
IMG_1016.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

Last edited:
Great find on the jacket.

I still have my Schott which I bought in 1977!

Don't forget the vintage Vuarnets he wore which you can still find on E-bay

The Vuarnet Skylinx 027

They only rarely pop on evilBay anymore, and when they do they are usually between $250-$350. Too rich for my blood. May try to find a knockoff style. The Rothco 10380 is fairly close.

Last edited:
Just a mil-spec Flightsuit nothing fancy

Some thought it was a Winter Flightsuit but it is not, I was issued both when I was in the service

IMG_1039.JPGLeather jacket refinished with rubbing alcohol and acetone to get that dull finish. My blue hoodie and flight suit came today! The flight suit is even a vintage 1980s. The hoodie is very blue, it is the right overall color but I think I need to tone it down a bit

Last edited:
Update:
Started working on the hat. Picked up a blank and began the long difficult task of stretching and reshaping it. Fortunately I have a hat block I made for a different project a few years ago that I was able to repurpose for this task. I need to raise the crown to at least 5 inches and stretch out the brim to the same or more.
IMG_1046.JPGIMG_1045.JPGIMG_1042.JPGIMG_1044.JPG

Oh, and began the flamethrower build... EVA foam with a PVC frame and internal supports. The end caps on the pressure tank may need redone, I'm not in love with the shape.
IMG_1048.JPG

It takes a lot of time and patience to turn a piece of straight sch40 pipe into a curve like this with a heat gun, but it is doable.
IMG_1056.JPG

That looks like a great start for the hat!
It looks like the blank is not going to work. I cannot stretch either the crown nor the brim sufficiently to get the needed size (6in crown, 6-7in brim). It just looks ridiculous. I am going to plan B, which is using a 36" square piece of hatters felt and blocking it myself. A hat from scratch.

Very cool build :thumbsup Don't often see much from this film.

If you're near TX, the Texas Frightmare Weekend is celebrating 35 years of The Thing with a cast reunion.

It looks like the blank is not going to work. I cannot stretch either the crown nor the brim sufficiently to get the needed size (6in crown, 6-7in brim). It just looks ridiculous. I am going to plan B, which is using a 36" square piece of hatters felt and blocking it myself. A hat from scratch.

Sorry it wasn't working out. But at least you have the skills and know-how to make one from scratch...must people would be stuck modding something from a Halloween store, like me.

Sorry it wasn't working out. But at least you have the skills and know-how to make one from scratch...must people would be stuck modding something from a Halloween store, like me.

I will document the process step by step and post it here if the plan works, hopefully it will be useful to others who want to attempt something similar.

Main body of the flamethrower 90% finished with 1st coat of sealer on the foam. The rest I should finish tonight, then a 2nd coat of sealer and it should be ready for paint day tomorrow!IMG_1063.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back