Movie & Film Jacket Web Sites

PHArchivist

Master Member
I don't frequest this forum much, so I apologize if this has been a topic of discussion in the past.

But there are a decent number of web sites / companies offering a plethora of film-subject jackets (mostly leather) for reasonable cost.

Examples:

http://www.moviesjacket.com/

http://www.buymoviejackets.com/product-category/movie-jackets

http://www.filmjackets.com/current/

https://www.fanjackets.com/product-category/shop/film-jackets/

http://www.famousmoviejackets.com/

The overlap of subject matter is nearly 100% across the board with these sites. Makes you wonder if they all have the same source. The only jackets I'm "expert" enough (yeah; right...!) to assess are the T2 jackets and the IJ jackets, and both of those subjects on any of these sites are - uh - "lacking"...

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Experiences?

Most of those sell trash.

Filmjackets.com WAS a great board untill the owner, Rick, ended up disapearing after owing people quite a few jackets.

The site still is a pretty good source of info and vendor reviews.

I bought 2 of Ricks jackets that he had IN STOCK and he shipped the next day, they were very high quality leather and I still have them.

Really a shame what happned there

Received a T2 jacket last night from F&H (on Amazon). Fast delivery and pretty good jacket. Quality of the leather was better than I expected it to be.

I had to change my Filmjackets email, and have been waiting months for my account to be reactivated, I think. I've been unable to log on in all that time, which is a shame as the community was great, and I'm also waiting on information about two jackets I've had on order for a while. I just wish I could log back in.

I had to change my Filmjackets email, and have been waiting months for my account to be reactivated, I think. I've been unable to log on in all that time, which is a shame as the community was great, and I'm also waiting on information about two jackets I've had on order for a while. I just wish I could log back in.

Rick has been pretty much AWOL over the last year. He occasionally pops up and activates people but then disappears for months on end, so chances of getting reactivated are slim.

It seems multiple people are waiting on jackets four and five years after ordering (!) No information is forthcoming to them, and they are regularly on the forum. The situation is terrible.

Most come from Pakistan via Canada or the UK.

Sad to hear about movie jackets.com. It was the RPF of film jackets.....lots of info.

Ricks were coming from Pakistan for a while.

Its a shame so much info will be lost when the site goes down

Most come from Pakistan via Canada or the UK.

Sad to hear about movie jackets.com. It was the RPF of film jackets.....lots of info.

There's nothing wrong with jackets from Pakistan, as long as you request the highest quality leathers and have a maker who cares about the details. Most of these companies are out for the quick buck and don't really get into the hard-core details like us RPFers do. Sometimes you'll find a diamond in the rough, but most of the times... steer clear of these types of companies. In the least, they are notorious for stealing images from other makers (us included), so you never really know what you're going to get.

I was pretty happy with the F&H T2 jacket, but had to order two more (a Large and a Medium) to ensure I get the correct size. Will return the unused jackets.

The initial XL had a pretty good quality leather (not "purse leather" or "couch leather", lke the T2 pants I have). I'm hoping the L and the M are also decent leather. Should be...

Filmjackets is a joke. I've tried numerous times just to join their forum with multiple screen names and emails, on hopes that their admin would join me. No such luck. I missed out on some jackets I'd been looking for because the admin there is worthless.

The board is reference only, as has been posted here you can not join, the owner as well as the Admins have abandoned it.

You probably lucked out anyway as their are quite a few members there out money with nothing to show for it

Filmjackets is a joke. I've tried numerous times just to join their forum with multiple screen names and emails, on hopes that their admin would join me. No such luck. I missed out on some jackets I'd been looking for because the admin there is worthless.

The board is reference only, as has been posted here you can not join, the owner as well as the Admins have abandoned it.

You probably lucked out anyway as their are quite a few members there out money with nothing to show for it

I wouldnt have bought from Rick the dick, there were other FS threads that seemed to be legit.

One of my jacket manufacturers (who made my Finn Star Wars jackets) is actually one of the same guys who made jackets for Rick. He has the same story, that a couple years ago Rick just stopped communicating at all.

I've been waiting for a couple weeks to be added to FilmJackets.com, I guess I know now that's a tiny wait time compared to some and that it might never happen.

I was pretty happy with the F&H T2 jacket, but had to order two more (a Large and a Medium) to ensure I get the correct size. Will return the unused jackets.

The initial XL had a pretty good quality leather (not "purse leather" or "couch leather", lke the T2 pants I have). I'm hoping the L and the M are also decent leather. Should be...

The Medium I used was an excellent quality of leather.

IMG_6947.JPG

By the way - is leather garment production simply not that expensive? Cows aren't rare, so leather is not like a precious metal...

But look at this jacket. Nearly full length with much intricate detail, for a suprisingly low cost. What's up here?

http://sky-seller.com/captain-james-flint-black-sails-long-leather-coat

The most basic types of cowhide are pretty cheap in areas that have a lot of tanneries. It's the labor that's usually expensive, and that's lower in some places for the usual reasons; they don't pay the workers as much.

Saw some Jean Paul Gaultier leather jackets on line rangine from $1,000 to $5,000... $5,000...!

Yeah - I know who JPG is and I know all about paying for a name. There is NO WAY there is any where near that much of a quality difference.

Don't get me wrong. I know the under-$200 film jackets (coming from Pakistan or wherever) host a whole slew of valid reasons why they're cheap. But aside from a name, I can't see any reason why even a high-end, well-produced leather jacket should command more than $500; maybe $1,000 max.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back