WIP: 45 Long slide from Terminator

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I found a dart gun in a store and decided I wanted to try and make this gun. It won't be 100% accurate, but I'll do what I can. Some of the things I'm trying to do...keep the functioning slide, keep the working trigger and make a working laser sight.

I had to buy three of the pistol to make the barrel extension. I had an older toy .45 that I tried making into this version, but I had only one, so I had to try and sculpt the extension...which didn't turn out very well. Hopefully this one will turn out better!

Attachments

• .45-1.jpg
    .45-1.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 472
  • .45-2.jpg
    .45-2.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 511
Hey, that's a good idea! Should be a fun build.

Boggles my mind that a decent 1911 long slide airsoft gun isn't available. Or that, with all the replicas they like to do with airsoft, someone hasn't done a Terminator GBB replica.

Looking cool. The extension looks great.

Boggles my mind that a decent 1911 long slide airsoft gun isn't available. Or that, with all the replicas they like to do with airsoft, someone hasn't done a Terminator GBB replica.

I thought the original was an AMT Hardballer... or am I simply gun illiterate and it's in fact one and the same!?

Looking cool. The extension looks great.

I thought the original was an AMT Hardballer... or am I simply gun illiterate and it's in fact one and the same!?

The AMT Hardballer is a 1911. AMT is the company, Hardballer was the model. The one they used in the movie had an obnoxiously long slide and barrel, but otherwise, just a 1911 :)

Yeah, I looked for an airsoft version, and I *think* one was made a long time ago...but you know what that means, rarer than hens teeth.

And I've hit a snag! At some point, the slide mechanism has become partially jammed. I can pull it back, but it doesn't snap forward. It does move, but it takes a long time to move back to the forward position. I can't really take this apart to find out the problem, if I take it apart, it will probably shatter into a dozen pieces. I have two .45 bodies that I cut the orange tip off of, so I could cut the extension off the present one and re-glue it back onto one of the others, but there would go the work I've started on the seams.

Also: I found a laser pointer at a local dollar store, but I don't know if I can trust that. Last time I bought a laser pointer on the cheap, it would momentarily stop working if you so much as looked at it wrong.

Yeah, there was a static non blowback AMT longslide produced 15 years ago I believe. Impossible to find those. I was just talking about finding any longslide 1911, not neccesarily an AMT replica. You just don't see them.

Hit ebay or amazon look up "airsoft laser sight" or some variation of that and you'll find pages and pages of decent lasers for $20 or under. You don't want a laser pointer. You need soemthing with a switch on it, or something that can take a wired pressure pad that can fit inside the tube you'll need to make.

Well, I'm getting no where fast with this. The slide keeps getting stuck and I end up breaking some part off trying to get it free. I'm on my third attempt, if this doesn't work, I don't know what I will do.

But I hope this will move forward as I purchased a laser pointer at a pet store a few days ago that I hope I can re-wire for my use. Can anyone tell me if these are particulary "sensitive" in regards to how they are constructed? I have two, both are "bullet" shaped. One is old and was bought for $1, the other is the newer one I just bought, looks almost exactly the same except maybe a better quality metal and cost $4. I tried taking the $1 version apart, taping the batteries together and making some loose connections to see if I could get it to light up...that didn't work.

I'm worried about trying to take the newer one apart and possibly ruining it. I don't want to buy a ton of these just to keep ruining them trying to take them apart.

Last edited:
Dude look on "armoured heaven" in Oz. Their website has long slide Toys really cheap.

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude look on "armoured heaven" in Oz. Their website has long slide Toys really cheap.

Well, I missed this, but I'm not entirely sold on the accuracy.
I managed to get some work done on the laser pointer. I was able to hook up a push switch to wires and then to the pc board for the pointer, but now I wonder how I'll fit it into the tube. As it is, there's just enough room for the main body of the laser pointer to fit. I'd have to unhook the wires, feed the pointer into the tube, then somehow re-attach the wires, I just don't think that's possible.

The slide mechanism started working again, but only AFTER I broke off the orange barrel extension. So....I re-attached it and added some Bondo around the join. I hope to get it sanded down this weekend. While the orange part was broken off, I was able to add some BB's and fishing weights here and there, so it's starting to get a nice heft.

laser.jpglaser2.jpg

I just have to add this here. I saw this line in the IMFDB entry about the laser used on the original gun.."In 1984, laser sights were rare, and required a high level of power. This helium neon laser needed 10,000 volts to turn on, and a further 1,000 volts to maintain its brightness."

And it probably cost thousands of dollars I would suspect. And now you can buy them for a dollar at dozens of stores and they need what, eight or nine volts to operate?
Amazing.

I can, and that's what I plan on doing. I just didn't want to have to remove the button in order to thread the wires through said cut.

I found a dart gun in a store and decided I wanted to try and make this gun. It won't be 100% accurate, but I'll do what I can. Some of the things I'm trying to do...keep the functioning slide, keep the working trigger and make a working laser sight.

I had to buy three of the pistol to make the barrel extension. I had an older toy .45 that I tried making into this version, but I had only one, so I had to try and sculpt the extension...which didn't turn out very well. Hopefully this one will turn out better!

Why did you need to buy 3? It looks like just an additional toy pistol would work to my eye -- however my eye is not yet trained with this particular project. ;)

Would love to learn more.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back