Deagostini Millennium Falcon with Cloud City Landing Pad

kokkari

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well since this is a kit and everyone has seen the builds, no need to go into detail regarding the build of the Falcon. I did a lot of customization like others, but tried to stay fairly true to the original prop (minus the interior). I'm still waiting for Deagostini to send out my last month shippment and then we will see how long it takes them to come through on the missing parts.

I will definitely show off my Falcon, but am going to start with my base as it something to show work in the meantime. I decided to do a cloud city landing pad as my display definitely had to be Empire and work with the space I have available.
bespin-bio-3_c2fefecc.jpeg

I realize the films pad was huge and designed for the 5ft model with the combination of matte paintings, so it had to be sized down for the 32incher. I purchased a 36" round from my local hardware store. the size looked just about right, but it was too big for my space, so I trimmed it down to 32" with my jigsaw.

20170109_185434.jpg

I used a 45 degree router bit to bevel the edge then decided to scribe the panel lines directly into the wood. I added a portion of the catwalk and reinforced it with wood glue and a bracket underneath.
20170112_150148.jpg

So now the hard part. The upside down cone feature. This is a work in progress, but I've started with some heavy duty styrofoam ribs. The idea is to fill the open voids with something, maybe more styrofoam or expandable gap filler. Then provide a hard sand-able surface such as bondo or some type of plastic sheet. Any ideas or feadback are more than welcome, if someone has any better ideas as to how to achieve the cone.
20170119_175123.jpg

Update: Supply list for landing pad
1) 36 x23/32 inch Round Plywood (cut down to 32 inches for table top)
2) 24 x 23/32 inch Round Plywood (for base support)
3) 3inch x 2ft ABS Pipe (inner support)
4) 4inch x 2ft ABS Pipe (outer support)
5) 2-ABS toilet flange 3" inside hub 4" outside (connects table top and bottom to ABS pipes
6) Sponge Window Seal 1/4"H x 1/2"W X 10' L (for LED light mounting on table top)
7) 1" W Hard styrofoam sheets (cut 18" long side of triangle ribs) appx. 6 pieces
8) White 12vLED strip lighting (for table top all blacked out except every 5th one)
9) Red 12v LED strip lighting (every other one blocked out)
10) 1- .20mm styrene sheet (curved pieces cut to encase foam widow seal strip lighting mount)
11) Bondo large can
12) 6" Crown Molding for the catwalk (pick your style)

20170403_101952.jpg
20170403_120443.jpg
20170403_104032.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Deagostini Millennium Falcon with Cloud City Landing Pad Base

Solid foam cone and fiberglass it?

Looking forward to steali.... err, watching your ideas with this! ;) Hehe!
This pretty much how I imagine mine being displayed in the end as well.

Mike, you could use various types of foam. I would use white foam. Carve it to shape with a home made foam cutter (google how to make one for like $10). Once it is shaped to your liking, fiberglass it using epoxy resin and glass cloth. Sand, fill imperfections, prime and paint.

Here is some progress. I added more ribs to better create a curve then filled the remaining slits with more styrofoam. I applied a hard cover using Bondo last night. I think the fumes took 15 years off my life, even with a mask. We see how it turns out after sanding it. More to come.

20170125_212546.jpg

So I'm trying to figure out what color the cone part of the landing pad is. I realize that most of it is matte paintings during sunset. Anyone have any insight?
2017-01-30 20.30.09.jpg928061_798768706843821_1344036210_n.jpgbespin-bio-3_c2fefecc.jpegFalconLandsAtPlatform327-TESB.pngFalconPlatform327.png

So here is cloud city during the day.
CC.jpg
Then there is this shot of look from the bottom. It almost looks like a burnt orange color.
CC2.jpg

that last one isnt the bottom of the landing platform, that's the exit point for the trash chute that Luke falls down, at the very base of the city. The Falcon flies under there to retreive him and it's nowhere near the landing platform at the top of the City.

Thanks, I do realize that, but was constructively thinking out loud and thought since cloud city has a consistent color scehme, would it be out of the realm of possibility that the color of the bottom of the landing pad could be the same as where Luke falls out?

It could, but as it's above the top surface I think it would be more in line with the surrounding cityscape color scheme of grays and beige's..

cheers

Seems to me that you pretty much show that it is the same color as the side walls on the platform in the first photo you posted, just like most everything else on the upper surface of Cloud City, an off-white.

attachment.php

I think you guys are right. It's just so hard to tell when they are a series of matte paintings and no two look the same.

So I went with bondo to cover the styrofoam and it seems to have worked out well. The cone is now as hard as a rock. Still have more sanding to do.

20170130_161343.jpg

I created a rough bevel with my dremel so the outer PVC support will fit around the cone more smoothly.
20170131_120845.jpg
I am using a toilet gasket to attach the top to the base. It conveniently screws to the base and the inner and outer PVC pipes fit perfectly inside and outside to make a nice solid and sturdy base. I used a second thicker pipe for 2 reasons: to make it sturdier and because it is more proportional to the movie version.
20170131_121835.jpg20170131_121812.jpg20170131_121955.jpg

Getting there!

20170131_122117.jpg

I love the idea of this, and the way you're tackling it is impressive!

the only thing is, i can't quite grasp the scale....i know how big the 32 inch Falcon is...but we need at least a Coke can shot! :)

Rich

Outstanding work kokkari, as always...
You were the inspiration for me purchasing the awesome Galactic Resin X-Wing

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back