Deagostini Millennium Falcon with Cloud City Landing Pad

Re: Deagostini Millennium Falcon with Cloud City Landing Pad Base

Loving this project, can't wait to see more!!

That's exactly what i was talking about, sensational! Will you be having little figures too?

Rich

The thought has occurred to me. I know there is a bunch of figures to scale on Shapeways. I'll have to see if any work for my setup.

I decided to go with the colors of the matte paintings in all the sunset shots. I first tried painted it in more of a light tan or light brown and guessed what it would look like during daylight, and it just didn't look right.

I've ordered a dimmer switch because the LEDs are just too bright for the setup. Looks OK in these photos in the garage, but as soon as I put my Falcon is on top inside the house, it looked like an inferno!

20170216_083815.jpg20170216_083803.jpg

I guess I would say consider how you are going to light the model when it is on display. If you paint the platform warm, then your falcon will look odd unless it is also painted as if at sunset. That sounds like a difficult thing to do well. So maybe painting the pad and Falcon in neutral tones and then lighting the display with warm sources may prove more successful.

Great work so far!

Thanks, you are correct.The problem is the landing pad only exists in a sunset world. I did try painting it with neutral tones. It just looked weird and wrong because the shots of the landing pad as we know it only exist in a world by sunset. Plus there wasn't enough contrast between the falcon and the pad when it was more neutral so I'm happy with the darker/warmer tones.

So the landing pad is finished for now. I will add some final touches and weathering later on. The dimmer switch to bring down the LED strips worked beautifully!
20170218_154720.jpg

I decided to fill the void at the end of the catwalk with a laser engraved plate that I've designed. It will look like this. The photos make the void look bigger than it actually is because of the focal length. It almost looks as big as the ship in the photo below, but it's not. It comes out to 4x8 inches.
20170218_154836.jpg4x8 Falcon Plaque.jpg

So now it's on to the Falcon. I really wanted to stay as true as possible to the 32" Falcon, but there were just some options that are irresistible that I could not help myself. I had to have see through engine vents and landing gear flaps for starters. Parts from Tony's Shapeways shop.
20170224_143854.jpg20170224_145547.jpg

I had to fix the rear gear legs. It was done pretty easily by just turning around the leg on one side when I was putting it together. I added the Shapeways part from Tony's @FZ6 shop. I will have to scratch the connecting piece between the gear feet.
20170212_085606.jpg

To make it more accurate I purchased a new nose cone that I've yet to find a flaw with and a new radar dish from Tony also. The included dish was not correct. The curvature wasn't pronounced enough and the Saturn V cone is way too small on the included dish.

20170224_143943.jpg20170224_143716.jpg

So the landing pad is finished for now. I will add some final touches and weathering later on. The dimmer switch to bring down the LED strips worked beautifully!
View attachment 709817

I decided to fill the void at the end of the catwalk with a laser engraved plate that I've designed. It will look like this. The photos make the void look bigger than it actually is because of the focal length. It almost looks as big as the ship in the photo below, but it's not. It comes out to 4x8 inches.
View attachment 709816View attachment 709818

A gorgeous landing pad Mike!!!

Very nice!!

I also fixed the pipe in the access bay next to the cockpit to be strait like it should be. I'm not sure where Deagostini got the idea it was crimped. Then added the missing pipes on one of the rear access bays that I believe was Darkview who recently pointed out.
20170224_143745.jpg20170224_143917.jpg

I'm not waiting for Deagostini to produce their missing parts. I've been attacking it on my own. A big thanks to dtssyst and all that have spearheaded the identification of many of these parts. As I installed these tubes (below) I've realized much of the sidewall detail including the transmission parts sit a little to low.

20170224_144023.jpg

Modded these sidewall parts next to the docking rings to be the correct length. They were too long and in my opinion took away from the armor plate overhang look. This was an error on the MR Falcon also.

20170224_145340.jpg

Overall, I'm really impressed on how well this model went together and how everything fit pretty much spot on. Maybe I'm used to doing resin kits. LOL Can't wait to start painting!

Last edited:

So now it's on to the Falcon. I really wanted to stay as true as possible to the 32" Falcon, but there were just some options that are irresistible that I could not help myself. I had to have see through engine vents and landing gear flaps for starters. Parts from Tony's Shapeways shop.
View attachment 709821View attachment 709820

I had to fix the rear gear legs. It was done pretty easily by just turning around the leg on one side when I was putting it together. I added the Shapeways part from Tony's @FZ6 shop. I will have to scratch the connecting piece between the gear feet.
View attachment 709824

To make it more accurate I purchased a new nose cone that I've yet to find a flaw with and a new radar dish from Tony also. The included dish was not correct. The curvature wasn't pronounced enough and the Saturn V cone is way too small on the included dish.

Many thanks Mike!

Glad to contribute to this beauty!!!

If you are kind enough, I will use some of your shots! It's possible? ;)

Many thanks Mike!

Glad to contribute to this beauty!!!

If you are kind enough, I will use some of your shots! It's possible? ;)
Of course it's OK!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I can't wait to start painting. It's my favorite part about modeling. Hopefully I've had enough practice on all my Falcons over the years to get this one right.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back