Ideas for Dwarven treasure

Sharken Beard

Hello everyone, I keep striking out here with my Google searches. What I would like to do, is decorate my Hobbit/LOTR props, with background items. In this case, the Dwarven gold treasures from the misty mountain. Items that were not necessarily on screen but fit the general universe. I looked for the noble and weta coins, but they only come in sets of 5 and to add a large amount is more then I want to spend on this.

Any one have any good ideas for golden treasure that Bilbo may have obtained, and where I may find it? Thanks!

You could make some yourself:

A little sculpey clay to create a master coin to use, then mold and cast it. Use a cheap urethane to cast with and paint everything gold. You could make tons of them, or just a few to put them into the top of a chest or similar container.

Here's a quick tutorial - the RPF is a great place to learn and you'll see a lot of members who encourage the "maker movement." Like you, I like to collect props and display them but often struggle to afford great displays. I find when I make some display accessories, I feel like I'm following a similar process to the original prop builder.
http://www.polymerclayweb.com/tutorials/other/piratecoin.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A trick I have used for those non-coin items is to hit the local bijou store and flea markets and buy whatever junky jewellery in sale. You want the brass-bits. Polish them up and give them a coat of lacquer to keep them from tarnishing.

Thanks guys! CC, I'm debating attempting to make my own coins, I wanted them metal, but it's not a deal breaker, thank you for that guide!

Flyer, that's exactly what I did, I didn't think about the lacquer though, thank you for that!

If you want metal but still want to follow a relatively easy process like cckaiser2 suggested, you can make your original piece in the same way, but mould it with a heat resistant silicone and cast in pewter. It would still need painting, but would feel like metal.

Was that cup seen in the film? You say the gems are the wrong colors...how so?

There is a rather large photo of one in the Weta Hobbit Chronicles book.
25258694665_50bcb0c3a6_b.jpg

Yeah that's now on my list of items to purchase and modify, as always, thanks for the input everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Figured I should show the display bay so far...
20170125_171944.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that's an old photo, I've since filled the gold pot with metal gold coins, and added a UC Sting and scabbard.

Last edited:
Was that cup seen in the film? You say the gems are the wrong colors...how so?

Its not a prominent item and only part of Smaug's hoard. It may only have been seen as Bilbo is running through the treasure for a split second.

Just saw a review of the game and they said this was the cup that bilbo stole from smaug to show the dwarf. Guess they never did show that scene in the movie. Its in the books.

I received the Yathzee game/cup yesterday, what color are the stones supposed to be and in what order?

And I noticed the game cup does not have the dwarf text along the sides and around the bottom, would anyone know what it is?

Re your question about the gems... the large stones around the top of the cup are alternating faceted green emeralds and red rubies. The two bands of small gems around the cup are faceted clear diamonds, and the small gems around the the base of the stem are faceted sapphires. I purchased all of the glass gems for my reworked goblet on Etsy.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back