Bandai Y-Wing - Finished!

Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Base color question

I know this was originally a Y-Wing question but I thought I might try to squeeze in a related Snow Speeder question. What is the general consensus as it relates to paint color here? Do modelers tend to use a white shade and weather that down or is more of a light gray shade the general preference? If grey is often chosen, is something along the lines of Tamiya grey primer too dark or would that fit the bill? Thanks!

I know this was originally a Y-Wing question but I thought I might try to squeeze in a related Snow Speeder question. What is the general consensus as it relates to paint color here? Do modelers tend to use a white shade and weather that down or is more of a light gray shade the general preference? If grey is often chosen, is something along the lines of Tamiya grey primer too dark or would that fit the bill? Thanks!
I started with the same off-white on my snowspeeder as mentioned earlier
e2064f304f47a3604d9a5caf276feb37.jpg

This will just get a lighter weathering job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sculpting a galaxy. Huge book on the star wars model workshop and every model produced - actual original photos from the day - great book.

Dang, I sold my set with the little speeder and death star panel models and book. I looked through it when I first got it and forgot what was in it I guess.

Again with the Snowspeeder I went with the AS-20 and then dirtied it up using a combination of dry brushing and thinned paints. This method requires a lot of work to replicate the original methodologies. As I mentioned previously I've now chosen the quicker oil paint (black) rub method on all my later Bandai builds.

Also just for interest I've added a picture of my Y Wing painted with the base Tamiya AS-20, sitting next to some Millennium Falcon parts. Left part is raw straight from the packet (untouched) and the right piece has had the black oil rub applied, which really brings out the detail. You can also see how white the AS-20 is, even though it's an off-white.

display%20snowspeeder%20mod%20clean_zpshasowacx.jpg

D2F9020B-CBAD-4F31-83A3-4ABCB0CB9FB9_zpsgllte38m.jpg

I decanted mine to use through my airbrush.

SB

I'm going to decant some AS-20 for my Falcon. How bad did you find the fumes? Is this something I can do inside with a window open and a mask on? The weather isn't great for working outside right now!

I'm going to decant some AS-20 for my Falcon. How bad did you find the fumes? Is this something I can do inside with a window open and a mask on? The weather isn't great for working outside right now!

AS-20 is a lacquer, so the fumes are pretty bad. I think you should be fine if you've got the window open and a mask on. Maybe put a fan in the window just in case? I'm not sure if you've decanted anything before, but just make sure not to overfill your jar, as the propellant needs some space to bubble/boil off. I left mine in the room with the jar lid off for about 4 hours before I capped it. So far so good.

SB

AS-20 is a lacquer, so the fumes are pretty bad. I think you should be fine if you've got the window open and a mask on. Maybe put a fan in the window just in case? I'm not sure if you've decanted anything before, but just make sure not to overfill your jar, as the propellant needs some space to bubble/boil off. I left mine in the room with the jar lid off for about 4 hours before I capped it. So far so good.

SB

Thanks for the tips! :)

I also have to agree with Scarecrow Joe - Post #2, The Bandai base model colours are spot on.

I also have to agree with Scarecrow Joe - Post #2, The Bandai base model colours are spot on.

Ive seen ton of threads here where people spend a lot of time deciding on the correct hue only to find out that when finally applying the paint they just realized there is almost no distinction between the color sprayed and the plastic color. Its an exercise on futility IMO.

Both my Snowspeeder and AT-ST were left with their own plastic color. To get rid of the shiny toy like look I sanded the surface with a very fine sandpaper to achieve a matte, used look, weathered and painted details as I saw necessary and finished with a matte clear coat to seal the whole deal.

29896279686_a4a7eef83c_z.jpg
IMG_1898 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

29303572474_a43245dea5_z.jpg
IMG_1874 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

27641668410_4d528e2b9b_z.jpg
IMG_0748 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

27307062663_54c2f14313_z.jpg
IMG_0750 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Getting close to done on the cockpit. Not happy with the canopy color. The filming model was a brighter blue but I will correct that on the next one I build. The third pic is the real deal.
IMG_5777.JPGIMG_5776.JPGIMG_5765.JPGIMG_5778.JPG

Nice!

Definitely instantly recognizable as Gold Leader

I kind of like the greyer canopy, they didn't come off nearly as blue in the films

Personally I find Tamiya TS-32 Haze Grey to be a great out of the can match for the canopy color on Y-wings
http://i.imgur.com/n6f5P4Y.jpg

I had always assumed the bluish grey canopies on X and Y wings was the same bluish grey as the TIEs.

I had always assumed the bluish grey canopies on X and Y wings was the same bluish grey as the TIEs.

Hence the Tamiya TS-32 Haze Grey :)

It is supposedly the closest out of the can match to the tie colors apart from the original out of production pactra paint they used

Coming along nicely!

Thank you sir. Im used to working on a much larger scale so this is a leaning experience. I seem to have a heavy hand on the weathering for this scale although in bright white light it looks better. Ive got 2 more ordered and some different paints.

Quick question for anyone that knows. Besides Gold Leader, what was the other Y Wing left in the trench at the end of the run?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back