McQuarrie X-Wing

t2sides

Master Member
Finished up the Gorgeous Frank Cerney McQ Xwing! What a wonderful Studio Scale kit, and builds up so nice. I tried to replicate the panels as closely as possible to the original artwork, and took my own liberties on the wing coloring. The artwork from the rear seemed to indicate the intent was to have some panels on the wings. Very subtle, simple weathering. The long guns are just loosely mounted in the sockets, so they aren't quite perfect at this point. It's a wonderful display though, thanks to Frank for making this thing come to life!
-Sean
m1.jpgm2.jpgm3.jpgm4.jpgm5.jpgm6.jpgm7.jpgm8.jpgm9.jpgm10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And a few more from iphone

Attachments

• mi3.jpg
    mi3.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 341
  • mi2.jpg
    mi2.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 375
  • mi1.jpg
    mi1.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 338
Very cool! My favorite of this subject so far.

One of my favorite parts of doing the McQuarrie x is that you have to draw on it to get it to look like the artwork. A special challenge. What did you use to accent the panel lines? Pencil or pen? What color?

Much appreciated folks!! :)
I used Sakura Pigma 005 and 02 archival ink pens. They can be a bit messy and take time to dry (thus some of the rough lines). I didn't want it to look too 'cartoony', but wanted it to look as much like McQuarrie's artwork as possible. I could've been more patient and made the finishes a bit better, but it's always fun to just get a build done and move on to the next project, and enjoy a quick build like this.
A few more shots:

Attachments

• m22.jpg
    m22.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 223
  • m20.jpg
    m20.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 269
  • m21.jpg
    m21.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 263
I love this! Great work! I can't wait to break into mine.

I'm going to try time lapse photography to do a full build video on mine. I'm on the fence as to making it look like the actual painting like you did or giving it an ILM feel. I'm lready leaning toward ILM SINCE YOU CLEARLY NAILED the painting on this!

Very nice Sean!!!
I know first hand how good this kit makes up into a finished display.

L

Much appreciated folks!! :)
I used Sakura Pigma 005 and 02 archival ink pens. They can be a bit messy and take time to dry (thus some of the rough lines). I didn't want it to look too 'cartoony', but wanted it to look as much like McQuarrie's artwork as possible. I could've been more patient and made the finishes a bit better, but it's always fun to just get a build done and move on to the next project, and enjoy a quick build like this.
A few more shots:

Amazing Job as always Sean!

Note for newbies: The kit was made by Richard Long. He did an incredible job on the masters. I own the rights to the kit/masters and have made it available off and on.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back