Another Ding-Dang PKD

I've been finding myself working weekends the past few weeks, so I haven't had much time to put towards the build. Buuuuuut, today I sat down with my dremel, hand files, and various grits of sandpaper to get the "rear mounting leaf ledge" taken care of. I knew it wouldn't survive the mill, so I had to do it the hard way. Again - just make that cut first! Lol, anyway... pics (crappy, blurry ones).

TyI9FNz.jpg

J1FuvDp.jpg

Sf4UtEa.jpg

Cool! Probably gonna tackle the barrel and end-plug next

God bless all you brave S.O.B's who've come before me, taking milling machines to all these beautiful Steyrs. ;)

Where'd you get the side cover you're mocking up with in that last pic? Those seem like nearly impossible pieces to re-create without access to laser scanners and CNC milling machines, etc. Is it a Coyle or a Tomen or something? Will you actually be using that one on this build?

That side cover is from a Tomenosuke kit. I've been using this project to learn a bunch of new stuff, so the end goal is to have everything on it made by me... unless I just can't get it to work. The side covers are definitely gonna be a pain in the butt.

The milling work is really simple, but that doesn't mean it's not really easy to mess up all the same. I've had a couple moments of panic already that I've thankfully managed to wiggle my way out of, but it always feels like the next "oh ******" moment is right around the corner x_x

All that said, it's been a ton of fun so far!

God bless all you brave S.O.B's who've come before me, taking milling machines to all these beautiful Steyrs. ;)

Where'd you get the side cover you're mocking up with in that last pic? Those seem like nearly impossible pieces to re-create without access to laser scanners and CNC milling machines, etc. Is it a Coyle or a Tomen or something? Will you actually be using that one on this build?

Beautiful work indeed! Congratulations to you on having the presence of mind to properly repair the receiver... I probably would have broke down and sulked for weeks before figuring out a way to salvage the thing. Will be closely following this build- firing replicas are always fascinating.

Thanks guys! Barring any giant catastrophe's I'm hoping to pick up some real momentum on it this spring. If I can do right by it and I like the parts I'm making, I'll probably do a batch for the forums. Lot of work before I get to that part, though!

Teeeny weeny bit o' progress today. I started to fit the mag housing. I hogged out a bunch with my dremel, and then for the final fit I wrapped a steel Tomen-upgrade barrel I had with 220 grit sand paper and just ran it back and forth until I hit what looked like a decent depth to me.

V2p9M60.jpg

iTMVEWa.jpg

Still gotta mod the actual magazine :wacko

M0Q8Sp7.jpg

Parting thought:

QihVwZL.jpg

Steady as she goes!

Took another step forward. Decided to get that old barrel out of there. You have to be careful when removing barrels, because you don't want to twist the frame of the revolver and ruin everything. The best way to do this is with a wrench that fits the frame of your firearm perfectly. I don't have one of those...

So I went to the hardware store.

1jgLezd.jpg

And got close enough.

4XdHIJ3.jpg

HfJPH4N.jpg

Hey it worked! Unfortunately, I forgot to make a sleeve for the barrel, so my vise kinda chewed up the outside. Looks like it has fish scales now. Doesn't really matter because I'm not using that part for anything but reference when I make my new barrel, but it still hurts inside :oops:

And then I got rid of the trigger guard making this super dangerous until there's a new one in there.

4sJzKtv.jpg

This will not have the hammer or cylinder re-installed until there's a trigger guard on there again. Safety, always!

Probably gonna tackle that and the barrel next. I think the trigger guard will actually be a nice warm up to bending the bolt handle. Nice to be making little bits of progress (even if it's just clearing the way for bigger tasks ahead)

Your trick worked well: no bending of the gun. :)

Yeah, I was happy with the result! Shame about the barrel, but since it's getting a new one I can just kind of shrug it off. I think If I was doing it again I'd fit the inserts a little better, but really as long as you've got a firm hold on that front edge of the frame where the metal is thick, you're ok. You don't want to do what a lot of people do which is grab the grip of the gun and use that as the lever handle. You do that, and you have a very good chance of corkscrewing your frame x_x

Holy crap! You're just going for it, huh? Have you done anything like this before? Or are you learning as you go?

Holy crap! You're just going for it, huh? Have you done anything like this before? Or are you learning as you go?

This is my first big gunsmithing project, although I grew up around firearms. This whole build is a list of firsts, though. I cut into my Steyr as my first milling project too :wacko

I've just been taking things super slow, doing a lot of research, looking at a ton of reference (seriously, I look at Karl's photos almost every night for like an hour), consulting people more experienced than me, and saying a couple hail mary's before each step.

It's not a light undertaking in the slightest, but it's been rewarding so far. (PS I'm shipping your post out today, too many late work nights last week to make it to the USPS. Sorry!)

It's not a light undertaking in the slightest, but it's been rewarding so far. (PS I'm shipping your post out today, too many late work nights last week to make it to the USPS. Sorry!)

Well, I'm super grateful for this particular thread. Seeing someone do as much of this themselves as you are is going to be invaluable when I dare to do the same (spent plenty of time around guns and machines myself, but this will be the first project combining the two skill sets) I'm looking for that same "I did all (or most) of this myself" satisfaction. Thanks to you I already know which part of the Steyr to mill first... and that receiver grip for removing the barrel is just pure genius.

No sweat on the post, you're clearly a busy man!

Last edited:
Victor it was great to meet you at the prop party this weekend. I'm loving this project. By far one of my favorite movie weapons. I'll be watching your build closely.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back