Another Ding-Dang PKD

veektohr

Sr Member
I've had this on the back-burner for a bit, but finally decided to jump in and start getting my hands dirty. I built a PFC version of Deckard's gun last year out of a CAW MULE Charter Arms replica and some Tomenosuke bits. Turned out pretty cool! But the thirst remained for a live-fire.

So I got these:

iz3daBJ.jpg

And started thinking about what my build would look like. I want the whole thing to be blued. With grips from smoked acrylic. This was an early design I toyed with.

zjdF6mK.gif

I think in the end I will go for a more traditional shape & checkering pattern, but I love the smoked acrylic as an alternative to the amber.

But then I stalled out! Milling into the Steyr was just so intimidating... until today!

y86dQiG.jpg

kunab7g.jpg

lAR7wg7.jpg

iHk9oLY.jpg

Not bad for a few hours work! I still need to mill out the clearance for the cylinder, but for a total noob when it comes to this kind of stuff I think I did alright.

I used carbide end-mills, and took shallow cuts. Honestly, I was expecting total abject disaster because that's usually how these things go for me, so I'm calling this a victory for now :)

I'll be out of town all next week, but hopefully when I come back I'll finish this up and then try to build some momentum back up on this project!

Man you are really teasing me to get the bulldog!!

Awesome work so far bro!!

Did you do build thread for the other one you finished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was mindin' my own business just finishing up the cuts on this receiver when disaster struck.

smb1XVO.jpg

It. Just. Cracked. Tore in slow motion, like paper. If I had some advice to give past self, I would say "hey dummy, make these cuts before you hog out the receiver and turn this thing into a little delicate, yet INTEGRAL, leaf." Then I'd slap myself. Then I'd say "Hey, but if you ignore me and screw it up anyway here's some silver-solder."

6d6JRMy.jpg

TUA54nV.jpg

Phew! This build was going so smooth, I was should have known I'd have a catastrophe to deal with sooner than later.

Anyhow, here it is layed out with some spare Tomen parts.

Yo0fkC8.jpg

4Jn2Uky.jpg

Bummer is that the flux and heat from the silver-solder hurt the bluing, so I'm gonna have to strip it and re-blue the whole thing. One hurdle at a time, though...

Oh and that sick feeling that follows that will bring a grown man to the brink of tears! And sometimes over [emoji22][emoji23]

Good job sorting it tho, it's looking amazing already!

Oh and that sick feeling that follows that will bring a grown man to the brink of tears! And sometimes over [emoji22][emoji23]

Good job sorting it tho, it's looking amazing already!

All manner of curse words were used. Thanks for the kind words! This build is pushing me into uncharted territory pretty much every step of the way. Learning a ton, though.

Victor, bummer on the tearing action, but the rest of the milling turned out great!
I should send my receiver to you to have you do it for me.

Victor, bummer on the tearing action, but the rest of the milling turned out great!
I should send my receiver to you to have you do it for me.

Big ol' bummer! I'm pretty sure I've got it licked, though. The sheer strength on the stuff I used ought to hold up to the force of the .44's recoil, and if it doesn't I'll just reinforce it with something.

I actually scored a second receiver for a criminally low sum a while back (found a rifle with a broken stock, guy just wanted it gone), so I'll eventually make a go at that with everything I've learned from this one. I'm pretty sure I have a good order of operations for the cuts now, but I'm gonna have to do at least one more before I'd want to risk somebody else's!

You'd be first in line if I do, of course :)

Thanks! The bolt is stainless, so it's going to be a pain in the butt to deal with. Might be easier just to make a new one out of aluminum that will already fit and add a fake a extractor on there. It's only going to travel an inch anyway. Using the original bolt is an attractive option, though, because it's already built to connect to the end cap and bolt handle. All I'd really have to do is grind it into that pie shape...

I love the Rick Ross's ejector design better than the regular one. Good call:cool

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back