BTTF2 Home Greeting Idea

inkeye

So I had this idea and it will take me some time to complete. I may need some help from the forum for ideas.

Remember in BTTF2 when Marty comes home and his house greets him. I'm thinking this could be done with an Amazon Echo/Dot or a Google Home.

I found this thread about getting Alexa to do push notifications.
https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/40799/workaround-for-push-notifications.html

If there was a way to trigger the sound file that sounds like the electronic voice in the movie, it could be customized. It almost sounds like a Speak and Say toy voice in the movie.

Any ideas on how to get that electronic voice?

Some info below on one way to get this to work.

Last edited:
Re: BBTF2 Home Greeting Idea

I’ve tried setting up an IFTTT action based on location. So when I come home, the IFTTT creates a text file on Dropbox. Then Hazel (a file organizing app) triggers an Applescript. The Applescript then plays a sound file I created. It only seems to partially work.

I think I have something figured out but it is a bit extensive. But it is a start. I'll try to put together my steps soon.

I'm sure there may be a few ways to accomplish this but I'll try to explain how I was able to work it out.

The first part is to create a sound file. On a Mac.
say -v Fred “Welcome home NAME ——— lord of the manor ——– king of the castle” -o greetings.m4r

You'll then want to convert that into a Wav file. Import this into iTunes and create a playlist called "Greetings"

More later. I'll need to upload some screenshot to share.

There are probably multiple ways to accomplish this but I’ll show you a Mac based way to create the voice greeting. My goal is to eventually work into the thumbprint lock but that requires skills beyond what I can do at the moment.

This method uses Find My Friend’s geofencing rather than a fingerprint.

Ingredients:

• Terminal to create the greeting

• A WAV file with your greeting
  • An iPhone
  • Find My Friends App
  • An email account not associated with your Apple ID
  • iTunes
  • Apple Mail
  • Applescript
  • Automator

Step 1: Create a sound file with Terminal
say -v Fred “Welcome home NAME ——— lord of the manor ——– king of the castle” -o greetings.m4r

You can change this to say whatever you want it to say.

You can convert the file into a WAV file for free at
http://www.zamzar.com/convert/m4r-to-wav/

If you have software to do it then that will work just as well.

Step 2: Download the Find My Friends app on your iPhone.

• Click on “Me” at the bottom of the app.
  • Click on “Notify My Friends” which is below the map in the app.
  • Set the destination to your Home.
  • Click “Add Notification”
  • Type in the email address you will use.
  • Check “When I Arrive”
  • Click “Done”

Step 3: Create an Automator App/Workflow
I’m new to using Automator but I saved this as a Workflow and as an app.

This workflow/app opens up an iTunes playlist with just the one sound file in it. I tried pulling the song but then it went into shuffle mode with other songs.

• Get Specified iTunes Items
  • “Greetings”
  • Play iTunes Playlist

I saved the Automator app as “Greetings.” This file can be saved anywhere but I choose to store with the Applescript. The file path is in the next step.

(will insert a screenshot later)

Step 4: Create an Applescript title it “Run Automator” or “Run Greetings”
The script just opens up the Automator file to play the Greeting. I put a delay on it so it would play by the time I entered the house. The delay is in seconds. So you can estimate how much time it takes you to enter your house/apt. and adjust the timing.

Here is the code:

delay 30

tell application "greetings"
activate
end tell

Store the Applescript in USERNAME/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.mail/runautomator.scpt

You will need the file there to access for Mail. I would save the Automator file here as well. Applescript will have you choose which file to use. Might as well store them together.

Step 5: Open Mail and create a mail rule. I also call this “Greetings”

• Description: Greetings
  • If “ANY”
  • From Contains “Find My Friends”
  • Subject Contains “YOUR NAME”

Perform the Following Actions:

• Delete Message +
  • Run Applescript (Run Greetings)

Click OK.

Step 6: Test It
You can test it out by opening up Find My Friends.

• Follow the steps in Step 2 but choose “Right Now”
  • Send it to the same email address
  • Click Done.

Note: I do feel this is somewhat convoluted to make it happen but I feel the RPF community has the skills to do it. I’m hoping I can figure out how to make the fingerprint version happen. This is one step closer.

If anyone has a similar method for another OS then please share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest forgetting an OS based format, and go directly with recordable sound modules.
They have them in line-in input, as well as mp3 download input.
Rewiring them to accept a Dc adapter instead of 3 button batteries is nothing big for someone into soldering, and well as rewiring the 'Play" switch to be triggered by a relay or other means.

In the movie, the greetings are delivered via the same thumbprint panels next to the doors,

With the availability of electronic locks, you can add in a RFID 'key-card' reader, which should have a number of selectable outputs, one of which can be tied to the trigger of the sound module. If the RFID reader can discriminate between different cards, you can have it set up to play a different greeting for each person with a keycard/fob.
And given *this* version of 2015 we're in, RFID tech has come a lot further, is more readily available, and is cheaper than biometrics (thumbprint).

I get my sound recorders from ebay vendor bigdawgsgreetings

Regards,
ElectroDFW
aka McFlyDallas

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back