SE-14r blaster paint/build process!

ecl

Sr Member
I decided to pick up on of morganthirteen's incredible castings of the SE-14r blaster to display with my RS trooper helmet. Below is the painting progress!

The casting was flawless out of the box, and also had primer already on it! That just simply made my job that much easier :D The scope is a standard 4x20 easily found on ebay for cheap.

KRwv9uN.jpg

Base paint was simply Black semi gloss Krylon, with a light spray of matte black Krylon to tone down the semi gloss a tiny bit. It was then left to dry for about a day.

azaUZm1.jpg

For the aging process, I use a combination of artist acrylics and matte medium, which I apply via brush as well as cotton balls (which I use a ton of, but really anything can be used). The matte medium can provide translucency, and can be layered thin, and can also be lightly sanded into (steel wool works well) before it dries completely, for a more diverse surface texture. It's also quite tough when fully dried.

When using cotton balls, mix on the palette first, then dab a cotton ball into the mixture, then lightly, or firmly, depending on the desired effect, to the surface.

8yaXbBX.jpg

I also use artists pastels to create a more aged "dusting" over the surface, as well as creating the illusion of light corrosion on the surface, and along the edges of the sculpt. Applied using cotton balls. I will then use a light misting of matte clear coat to fix it to the surface, although it stays surprisingly well on the surface on its own.

eVBFRAu.jpg

Below are the results so far. I still have to work on aging the scope!

BxO2z8x.jpg

ald6Hh6.jpg

valJjM3.jpg

K28eJF9.jpg

sH40HFZ.jpg

uTeRe7j.jpg

3Y3KT1H.jpg

Last edited:
Re: SE-14C blaster paint/build process!

His SE-14 blaster is awesome. It's a shame they are so expensive. I bought one from him a few years ago and it was one third the price
he's charging now. I wish I did not have to sell it. I really want one again.

He's offering two versions (vintage and Rogue One), I just emailed him recently. And yes, they are both beautiful and pricey! I'm on the fence about this one.

Nice paint work on this, looking great!

*pushes up nerd glasses* ACTually, with the single 4x20 scope, and making it the Stormtrooper version, that's an SE-14r. The SE-14C was the double-scoped version Dr. Evazan had in the Mos Eisley Cantina. So I think retitling the thread may be in order. :angel

That said, your weathering techniques are absolutely mindblowing. This has always been one of my favorite under-represented blasters and you've knocked it out of the park.

--Jonah

Thank you for the kind words, Unfated. However, the pricing for these kits has actually remained fairly consistent since I first began offering them about 17 years ago. My first version was $120.00. (Shipped in the US). The current (and final) version has been $140.00 (also shipped) for the last few years. A twenty dollar increase over a decade and a half seems quite reasonable given the much higher increase in materials and shipping costs over the same period of time.

- - - Updated - - -

And ECL, your paint job is fantastic!

Yeah that is, IMO, a good price. I've been meaning to get one, but something else always ends up first on the list.

*pushes up nerd glasses* ACTually, with the single 4x20 scope, and making it the Stormtrooper version, that's an SE-14r. The SE-14C was the double-scoped version Dr. Evazan had in the Mos Eisley Cantina. So I think retitling the thread may be in order. :angel

That said, your weathering techniques are absolutely mindblowing. This has always been one of my favorite under-represented blasters and you've knocked it out of the park.

--Jonah

Thanks for the info! Good to know, as I'm just getting into the Star Wars blasters.

Update:

I've done a bit more work on the blaster today, but will finish it all up including the scope by the weekend. Will update with final photos then! Thanks for all the comments :D

As for the pricing for the casting, I think it was completely reasonable...in fact, I really haven't seen many quality castings of any type of prop for much less than this. One of the cleanest castings I've seen lately.

Thank you for the kind words, Unfated. However, the pricing for these kits has actually remained fairly consistent since I first began offering them about 17 years ago. My first version was $120.00. (Shipped in the US). The current (and final) version has been $140.00 (also shipped) for the last few years. A twenty dollar increase over a decade and a half seems quite reasonable given the much higher increase in materials and shipping costs over the same period of time.

- - - Updated - - -

And ECL, your paint job is fantastic!

I'm sorry if there was some confusion. I was under the understating you sell your blasters through http://www.kropserkel.com. I was quoted over $300
from that site. $140 is indeed a reasonable price. I apologize if I was wrong.

No apologies necessary- those are not kits, but finished, painted build ups complete with scopes. I've known Scott and Brenda for years and do indeed offer finished blasters through their website for customers who don't have the time or the skills to do their own builds.

Finished it up last night! I ended up brushing on a thin layer of black enamel paint with a brush on some of it to create a subtle texture, and also worked some more surface aging into it with the pastels. The enamel paint dries to the touch quickly, but is still just slightly wet enough to catch the pastels, and once it dries completely, the pastels seem to become embedded in it, which creates a nice weathering effect. The enamel also buffs up slightly to a satin finish with the cotton balls. I've noticed a lot of the enamel model paints are also very tough when fully dry.

Pk3dX2W.jpg

m9b7k0Y.jpg

hDgfLnv.jpg

23Og1QG.jpg

O9M61t5.jpg

r6Nfswb.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back