ANH DL-44: Current go-to kit?

TheRealLinzer

Hey everybody,
I'm new here so I hope this thread is in the right place :)

For my next project I want to tackle the ANH DL-44.
I want to build a fairly accurate copy of the hero blaster. I want to use a MGC as the base gun and if I'm lucky enough to find one a real Hensoldt Dialyt 3.

I'm looking for your help and advice for all the extra parts I need. I've found the kits from Dark Energy Creations and Todd's custom props but I'm unsure which one to decide for in terms of screen accuracy, build quality etc. (when they'll be making new runs).

I found that many users here combined parts of the kits but it seems to be very hard for me to find a comparison of the two. I'm very very keen on the face that the Todd's is a steel kit but I'm unsure about the bull barrel since it is threaded. As I understand DEC made an ultra-accurate steel kit a few years back?

I'm sure both kits are awesome but I'd really appreciate if some of you would be so kind to share their experience with the kits :)

Many thanks in advance

I have been looking for the same. I just received Doopy Doos ESB resin blaster for paint practice in the meantime. I have some parts from Todd's for the ANH blaster and they are excellent. Researching it can be confusing as there are strange variations and in the end I want to build an Idealized version. I would like to know who is more accurate, but it seems to be debated endlessly between DE and Todd's, seems to be personal preference.

I have the DEC kit on my personal one i cannot say a single bad thing about it. I have held the Todds blaster as well. Both are quite amazing. I really doubt you could go wrong with either. In my opinion maybe just buy whichever is Available/Affordable when your ready.

Ok thanks a lot - this brings me a bit closer to my favourite prop :) I'm thinking about getting the complete gun from Todd's with the goal of changing the base gun and the scope if I find original ones.
Does anyone have experience with using Todd's threaded bull barrel on a mgc? At the moment I can't imagine how to drill the thread on the mauser so the rotation of the barrel is right once it's completely screwed in?

I built the TFA DL-44 using a DEC kit and cannot say enough good things about it. RIght out of the box I had to clean up perhaps 3-4 casting seams with a file, and it was ready for paint/assembly! Almost zero finishing work required.. I actually slapped it together in about two hours, paint cured overnight and it was on display.

The attention to detail is just amazing with DEC products.; and heavy! Got some heft to 'er.

There are also a few threads of newcomers asking this very question and the subsequent discussions within the past few months. Try using the search function within the Star Wars costumes & Props thread! Welcome aboard!

Oh no, definately not 1:1. Other than the generic shape they have not much in common. But considering the cheap price the Denix is still a nice base for a budget build.

Size and weight? The denix and the MGC are very similar. There are some subtle differences but the size of the denix, the weight and the basic functionality is pretty much identical. What's different?

I'm not talking about details that the MGC has over the denix (safety, trigger, sight function, base plate, grip screws). But the over size and weight of both are the pretty much the exact same. And with a solid modified denix ur more than well on ur way [emoji1303]

It depends how great a difference needs to be for you, to consider it different. ;)

Each detail is different, same with the most dimensions. Single details/dimensions might be minor to you, but all together make a big difference.

I think uv'e misunderstood what I was saying is all [emoji482]

I was myself surprised when I had them both in hand to just how similar they were to each other.

I think uv'e misunderstood what I was saying is all [emoji482]

I was myself surprised when I had them both in hand to just how similar they were to each other.

Maybe no misunderstanding, just a different point of view. Well, after i had my first MGC to compare it with my Denix builds, i immediatly knew i had to redo all of them with MGCs, due to the differences i saw..

It´s a question of personal preferences.

Lets be clear here. I never said I prefer or would choose a Denix over an mgc. I was simply stating that they are similar and pretty much 1:1 in size and weight. The MGC is far superior to the Denix in the details. But not everyone can afford an origin MGC. And for ur first blaster build (as a LOT of mistakes can happen) ur probably best to start out with a Denix and work out all ur kinks here first. Unless if ur a baller and can easy jump into an mgc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lets be clear here. I never said I prefer or would choose a Denix over an mgc. I was simply stating that they are similar and pretty much 1:1 in size and weight. The MGC is far superior to the Denix in the details. But not everyone can afford an origin MGC. And for ur first blaster build (as a LOT of mistakes can happen) ur probably best to start out with a Denix and work out all ur kinks here first. Unless if ur a baller and can easy jump into an mgc.

I agree to most, just not the "similar and 1:1" part.

These 2 are as much different to each other as each of them to a real one.

Wow thank you so much for all the information :)
Even though I read all trough the "ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found" I still have one question left: Todd's is making a threaded bull barrel whereas DEC is making a sleeve version. From the pics on their websites I can't really tell how the bull barrel, booster and flash hider are connected to each other for both kits? As far as I understand the Todd's bull barrel is screwed into the threaded mauser barrel; the flash hider mount is sleeved on the bull barrel and fixed by a screw - same for the flash hider? For the DEC kit the bull barrel is sleeved on the mauser and fixed by a screw? It seems like the flash hider mount and the bull barrel are one piece and the flash hider is sleeved on and is again fixed by a screw?
I'm asking all this because I'd like to know if the Todd's Flash hider/FH mount is compatible with the DEC bull barrel/ a self manufactured sleeve bull barrel - I really want to avoid drilling and thread cutting a mauser :)

Again many thanks in advance :D

Wow thank you so much for all the information :)
Even though I read all trough the "ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found" I still have one question left: Todd's is making a threaded bull barrel whereas DEC is making a sleeve version. From the pics on their websites I can't really tell how the bull barrel, booster and flash hider are connected to each other for both kits? As far as I understand the Todd's bull barrel is screwed into the threaded mauser barrel; the flash hider mount is sleeved on the bull barrel and fixed by a screw - same for the flash hider? For the DEC kit the bull barrel is sleeved on the mauser and fixed by a screw? It seems like the flash hider mount and the bull barrel are one piece and the flash hider is sleeved on and is again fixed by a screw?
I'm asking all this because I'd like to know if the Todd's Flash hider/FH mount is compatible with the DEC bull barrel/ a self manufactured sleeve bull barrel - I really want to avoid drilling and thread cutting a mauser :)

Again many thanks in advance :D

The quick answer is yes. Todds flash hider works perfectly with DEC bull barrel. [emoji106]

The DEC bull barrel is nice and much easier to attach obviously as it just slides on. But it was built for an MGC so it doesn't line up perfectly. It's fits but as I mentioned earlier just a little awkward. I actually built my bull barrel very similar to DEC but used a denix when I reverse engineered it. Again it's synthetic but it lines up with the denix and fits nice and snug. It will also fit both Todd's and DEC flash hider just fine.

I built a replica prop based on a Denix and a Live Fire using both DEC and Todds Costumes parts. Both are top notch stuff! Both are very screen accurate. Todds is offering a complete Denix base replica currently where DEC is sold out. Todds uses the plastic Avon cylinders which is screen accurate and DEC uses a cast pewter grill which would be better as a real idealized build. DEC uses an aluminum scope without engraving where Todds uses a steel engraved and better scope replica. What are your questions and goals?

I can vouch for Todd's parts, I'm using the scope mount and flash hider/grill on my build, which are excellent! The mount needed a little cleanup due to it's "machine finish" but it wasn't too hard, and it's really heavy and nice. The center thumbscrew is a little off as well, but not too bad.

I like my Denix but clearly an MGC is MUCH better looking. However, given that they're next to impossible to find and 10-15x the cost, I'll probably keep using them for future builds. There's a definite opening here for a good looking metal C-96 replica!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back