Machine sewing a patch to velco, tips and tricks welcome.

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am going to try to machine sew a 3.5" Velcro circle to a 3.5" BSG patch for my BDU uniform. My plan was to staple the patch and the Velcro together, use clear or color matching all purpose thread, use a walking foot, a #18 or leather wedge needle in my machine, set it to the widest stitch, and go slow (maybe even hand crank the wheel instead of using the electric foot peddle.)

I have a singer 4423. It's a tough little machine. I have #18 needles (sharp) and wedge tip leather needles, among all the standard sharp and ball point . I've sewn patches to my kids girl scout vest using a #16 needle and standard heavy duty Coats and Clarke thread.

Anyone have a better method or any tips or tricks? Even things to avoid?

32246658701_6540753653_o.jpg
31524437644_777ff88aeb_o.jpg

I have sewn patches to Velcro multiple times and the best tip I can give is to sew it to the fuzzy side of Velcro, easy to sew on. I do this just with a regular needle and color matching thread I make sure to use lots of pins so the patch doesn't move on the Velcro. Easy peasy.

Let me make sure I understand, the velcro has two pieces: the hook and the loop. The loop is usually the softer "fuzzier" piece and the hook is often stiff and "plastic-y." I have always sewn the loop side to the garment and the hook side to the patch. Is that opposite of what you do, MB Trooper?

You may want to try stitching the patch to a larger piece of velcro and then trim the excess off after you sew. That way you don't have to be super precise. That's what I'd do.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back