Cold War -era movie fan thread

"By Dawn's Early Light" with a surprisingly excellent cast and "World War III" (Warner Bros.) with President Rock Hudson. The latter is… well, worth watching once if you can rent it or get it stupid crazy cheap. [emoji6]

Wanna throw a +1 on "Fail Safe." Realistic, great cast & the darker cousin to "Doctor Strangelove"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twilights Last Gleaming, although not specifically about spy's it's period and has all the nuke hype. The Russians are Coming for a laugh. Strategic Air Command

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap, you're right dascoyne: Testament is a highly under rated movie. The cast was fantastic and the story very real, very human for sure. Try to rent it or find it on YouTube.

IMG_2047.JPG

Come on man, can't leave this one out. It's got Ralphie in it :D

About a Soviet tank crew in the failed invasion of Afghanistan

http://i.imgur.com/lvgUiPG.jpg

Is this the one the dude gets separated from his crew and ends up helping the Afghan fighters???? I been looking for that forever.

OK anyone remember a movie , it was Roy Scheider or maybe Tommy Lee Jones ? Pretty sure it was Roy though.
It takes place on what I guess is the border of east and west Germany
But out in the back country the hero walks through the forest in winter across the border to some little village or cabin I cant really remember I think it was revenge or to save a girl or both . lol

Sound familiar to anyone ?
Been looking for it for ever but can't find anything on IMDb under either actor .

Remember the Expert's.
John travolta and Arye Gross .
Classic .

Last edited:
Is this the one the dude gets separated from his crew and ends up helping the Afghan fighters???? I been looking for that forever.

OK anyone remember a movie , it was Roy Scheider or maybe Tommy Lee Jones ? Pretty sure it was Roy though.
It takes place on what I guess is the border of east and west Germany
But out in the back country the hero walks through the forest in winter across the border to some little village or cabin I cant really remember I think it was revenge or to save a girl or both . lol

Sound familiar to anyone ?
Been looking for it for ever but can't find anything on IMDb under either actor .

"The Beast of War" is often shortened to just "TheBeast" if your looking for it. Great Sound track by Mark Isham.
What will really screw with your head is watching that film andrealizing it was made by the same director as "Water World"Kevin Reynolds.

The movie your thinking of with Roy Scheider was called "the Fourth War" 1990 Directed by John Frankenheimer.

If want to go way back in the cold war archives "The Mousethat Roared" 1959 with Peter Sellers.
and "Ice Station Zebra" 1968.

Technically the original "The Thing from Another World"1951 was a cold war film.
The plot could be taken as an allegoryabout the fears of communist subversion and take over from within.

That's one thing about 50s scifi, so much of it had allegories in it. There's a great documentary bonus in the Forbidden Planet special edition narrated by Mark Hamill that covers that. Ice Station Zebra was one that always caught my eye, which is why it was on my xmas list, as it is the perfect mix of action and spy film. There's a great documentary on youtube called Able-Archer that tells about how close to getting nuked we were in 1983 thanks to the russians mistaking military exercises for being real.

"The Beast of War" is often shortened to just "TheBeast" if your
looking for it. Great Sound track by Mark Isham.
What will really screw with your head is watching that film andrealizing it was made by the same director as "Water World"Kevin Reynolds.

The movie your thinking of with Roy Scheider was called "the Fourth War" 1990 Directed by John Frankenheimer.

If want to go way back in the cold war archives "The Mousethat Roared" 1959 with Peter Sellers.
and "Ice Station Zebra" 1968.

Technically the original "The Thing from Another World"1951 was a cold war film.
The plot could be taken as an allegoryabout the fears of communist subversion and take over from within.

great thank you !!
Been trying to find both those for ever.
The mouse that roared was good
Got to check out Ice station zebra though .

Thanks again !!!

Ice Station Zebra is a great movie in that it still has the old school interlude at the halfway point for folks to go use the bathroom and get more food real quick lol.

Iron Eagle.

Just the original. IMO, the sequels were all crap hoping to ride on the popular coattails of the first, and failed miserably.

Jason Gedrick was Iron Eagle. After that the films morphed into the Chappy Sinclair Show. :darnkids

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back