Don Post Classic Action Storm Trooper Helmet vs. Hasbro Black Series Storm Trooper

PHArchivist

Master Member
Just sold my classic DP Classic Action on eBay for $40...

Now I'm sort of regretting it, as when looking at both helmets, the DP actually seems more reminiscent of the original classic Storm Trooper from the movie I fell in love with almost 40 years ago. :cry

So...

I'm not an ST expert. After all these years, I'm not even totally clear on the ANH vs. ROTJ differences.

So which of these helmets is most accurate, and which films do each represent respectively?
Is the Hasbro an ROTJ helmet, or a R1 helmet? How well received is the DP CA helmet?
Was it laughingly inaccurate or fairly well representative of the ANH helmet?

Help me out here, guys...

Re: Don Post Classic Action Storm Trooper Helmet vs. Hasbro Black Series Storm Troope

From what I recall, the CA was pretty inaccurate, the new Hasbro R1 helmet is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of accuracy and proper look.

Re: Don Post Classic Action Storm Trooper Helmet vs. Hasbro Black Series Storm Troope

The Don Post is a mirrored RotJ style helmet.

The Hasbro is a Rogue One stye helmet.

If you want the OT, but like symmetrical you should check out DynamicMenace's version. No licensed helmet has created a symmetrical helmet that retains all sides of the helmet and averages them out. If you are looking for accurate OT style helmets, then RS Props for ANH and Sskunky for RotJ.

There are 3 ANH helmets that have been made available so far, if I remember correctly:
TE originally produced the Brian R (unknown screen helmet) and Dave M (Set For Stun) helmets - have no clue who owns the rights to those pieces now.
RS Props produce the third option from an authentic suit they own (unsure whether the helmet has been identified).

Additionally, eFX plans to release an ANH hero helmet.

DP Helmet - not even close to ANH more a ROTJ helmet

EFX/MR - probably closer to ANH, but not as close as the Black Series

Black Series - Surprising close to ANH and more so R1

You've really opened a can of worms, because everyone's OP is subjective;)......like a hundred monkeys bashing on typewriters for a year will turn out War and Peace...not even close:lol

I'm still sitting on my half modified DP Classic Action helmet. For some unknown reason, Don Post Studios took a mold of one half of a ROTJ bucket (which was a smaller helmet than the ANH and subsequently derived/modified ESB buckets), and then mirrored the helmet to create the other half. This gives the helmet a smaller and more narrow overall appearance. DP then used the mold for the stormtrooper statue (with blacked out eyes, not lenses), the DP Deluxe fiberglass version, and the slush mold DP Classic Action. Really irritating are the small vocoder mic tips and the bug eyed bubble lenses, and the painted neck trim and brown trim.

I've had the DP Vader CA and TIE pilot buckets as well, and for my 2 cents those were better, more faithful helmets to the originals than the CA Stormtrooper. Heck, the Scout Trooper basic edition DP helmet, although not in the CA line, was really good for what it was and still better than the CA Stormie.

Note: When corresponding with Matthew Post about the DP prototype fiberglass Naboo fighter helmet (which I briefly owned, and was basically the same as the vinyl version that was sold), I got some info that only a few dozen fiberglass versions of the Scout Trooper were produced. Up until now, I think the best licensed, commercially released/ available Scout Trooper is the Altmann's version. Still waiting to see the EFX.

Jez's site has some great photos.

Also, again just my opinion: even with its flaws, the Hasbro black series Rogue One Stormrooper is a great helmet, better and more accurate to its source than the CA Stormtrooper.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back