Finally, a gold mirror paint!

Galane

Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect now comes in GOLD! Product number 286477

Like the silver Mirror Effect the paint is made for back side painting of glass smooth surfaces such as glass (duh), Lexan, urethane castings and other solvent resistant plastics but NOT styrene.

I've tried it on a urethane casting, doesn't seem to be quite as mirror-y as the silver but it does produce a solid and smooth coating without the typical speckled 'metallic' finish.

They are just utilizing what's already known about metallic paints - that if you paint on the inside of a transparent surface, you will get a nice and clean finish when you look at it from the outside. Nothing new here. It certainly wouldn't work for an outside application and it just looks like a normal gold paint - no mirror effect at all, as the reflection bit is caused by the object that was painted, such as the glass.

I'm calling BS;)

There really is no such thing as gold paint, there is paint that looks like dull brass or dull gold, but it hardly looks like real gold. There are metalisized liquid systems that use chemicals to give a gold chrome finish and they are impressive, but they're not really paint in the true sense.

I've have never seen a true gold finish come out of a paint can you can buy.......I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

If you spray ordinary metallic paint onto glass and look at it through the glass, you will not get a reflection like a mirror, you get a dull colored surface that does not reflect an image. With the silver Mirror Effect from Rust-Oleum you do. Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome will also make a mirror, and it's solvent doesn't attack styrene.

I haven't tried the Rust-Oleum gold Mirror Effect on a piece of glass yet to see if it makes a mirror reflection.

Has any one tried those pigment powders. I've seen some that are used in nail salons. From what they show they might be a option and come in gold.
Anyone give those a try ?.

If you want to gold chrome anything you need to watch Gordon Tarpley's video's on youtube. I assume he's a member here, as there are a few RPF themed videos, but don't know his username. He painted his C-3PO with Alclad 2 chrome paint and then tinted it gold.

This is his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/gordontarpley

Definitely worth a watch.

What I'm seeing of the product posted above is nowhere near a gold mirror paint.

Yep. The only way to achieve a chrome-like finish is to use Alclad. Any other product does not satisfy a modeler's needs. I too find the title of the thread misleading. No offense, but a "gold mirror paint" should be able to make a gold mirror finish on ANY surface, such as an armour piece of a C-3PO suit (like a "real" silver chrome paint should give a shiny chrome effect on a T-1000 bust). So it seems that we may have to wait a bit longer till a "real" gold mirror paint is available. :)

In this case its not a paint. Its a metallic powder you burnish and buff on over a base coat, then seal with a top coat.
Kind of like a silver leaf powder. There is one specifically for gold see the link. https://dailycharme.com/products/mirror-gold-rose-gold-powder-set
I suspect that if its metal pigment, you may be able to buff it to a shine. Looking on the internet I've seen the silver used to create gold just by changing the base to a
camel colour, or give it a blue hue by using a navy base. I think I might get a tin and play around with it.

T.M.G: Thanks for the link to Gord's Channel. Very informative. Who would have thought food colouring was compatible with Alclad II chrome.

These paints are made specifically for use on the BACK SIDE of clear, gloss surface things. The Spaz-Stix paint is intended for Lexan RC car bodies but also works on glass, styrene and other materials. The Rust-Oleum paints are intended for glass but also work on other materials, except for styrene.

If you want to gold chrome anything you need to watch Gordon Tarpley's video's on youtube. I assume he's a member here, as there are a few RPF themed videos, but don't know his username...
@XRobots is whom you seek ;)

These paints are made specifically for use on the BACK SIDE of clear, gloss surface things. The Spaz-Stix paint is intended for Lexan RC car bodies but also works on glass, styrene and other materials. The Rust-Oleum paints are intended for glass but also work on other materials, except for styrene.

I haven´t tried it myself yet, but IIRC people got the best results by prepping a surface with a base coat of gloss black, to provide a glass like surface. In addition to the gloss black I think a gloss clear coat was applied on top and then buffed to a high sheen and THEN even the standard metallic paints got them good results. I think it was mostly 3PO-builders who did so as an alternative to vac metallizing.

@XRobots is whom you seek ;)
I haven´t tried it myself yet, but IIRC people got the best results by prepping a surface with a base coat of gloss black, to provide a glass like surface. In addition to the gloss black I think a gloss clear coat was applied on top and then buffed to a high sheen and THEN even the standard metallic paints got them good results. I think it was mostly 3PO-builders who did so as an alternative to vac metallizing.

You're describing a process for painting the FRONT side of an object. These paints go on the BACK side of CLEAR things. You LOOK THROUGH the item to see the shiny surface.

You're describing a process for painting the FRONT side of an object. These paints go on the BACK side of CLEAR things. You LOOK THROUGH the item to see the shiny surface.

Ah, I got you! And here I thought you were talking about an alternative to vac metallizing.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back