The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

out standing work seth. like I've told you, this is a great tool for all of us. well organized and extremely detailed. this is a great go to for all first timers in the saber community! thank you for taking all the time, research and effort putting together such a great read.

i know i will be suppling this to all the new timers looking for help!!

outstanding work my friend! 2 (y)thumbsup

This is really great! I haven't built a saber in at least 10 years, and I yet am still finding it really fun just for pleasure reading.

That being said – is there an error in the second paragraph of the page with you first start to discuss the Skywalker hero lightsaber in ESB? I could be misreading it but it seems to contradict itself. Sorry I can't seem to cut and paste the exact language from the PDF – but the second sentence says that the ESB Production seemed to have acquired their flashes from a "supply that was made later than the original." But then the very next sentence states that "these versions pre-date the ones used in ANH". So it seems to say that the flashes used in ESB were made later then those used in ANH – but it also seems to go on to say that the ones used in ESB were made first. Am I just misunderstanding what is written here?

In any event – great job and thanks again!

M

Fantastic...thanks so much for this. Just starting to read it now. Thankyou!

Just noticed on page 7 that Roger Christian is identified as Production Designer on ANH. He was a set decorator and prop maker. John Barry was the Production Designer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow guys-- thanks for the praise. Again-- I just collected the lore and made it look pretty. All the real work has been done here on the RPF over many years. All of this info is already here on the site-- I just wanted it to be easier to find.:)

This is really great! I haven't built a saber in at least 10 years, and I yet am still finding it really fun just for pleasure reading.
That being said – is there an error in the second paragraph of the page with you first start to discuss the Skywalker hero lightsaber in ESB? I could be misreading it but it seems to contradict itself. Sorry I can't seem to cut and paste the exact language from the PDF – but the second sentence says that the ESB Production seemed to have acquired their flashes from a "supply that was made later than the original." But then the very next sentence states that "these versions pre-date the ones used in ANH". So it seems to say that the flashes used in ESB were made later then those used in ANH – but it also seems to go on to say that the ones used in ESB were made first. Am I just misunderstanding what is written here?

I'll try and make that more clear-- what I meant was the brand of Graflex itself (The Folmer) predates the Patent Number brand.

ESB used Graflexes made in the 30s and early 40s versus ANH which used one from the late 40s to 50s. Not that the props themselves pre-dated ANH, but that the source parts used in ESB were older than the ones in ANH.

THAT said, we never see the endcap clearly in ANH, and depending on when the odd promo pic of Luke in black on page 48 was taken, it's possible ANh used a folmer after all given the shape of the glass eye.

Between all the stunt versions, back up parts, and TFA, one would assume they likely have some patented Graflexes in the mix somewhere since they seem to be more common.

Fantastic...thanks so much for this. Just starting to read it now. Thankyou!
Just noticed on page 7 that Roger Christian is identified as Production Designer on ANH. He was a set decorator and prop maker. John Barry was the Production Designer.

Ah! Great-- thank you!

One nitpick on the Luke ROTJ V3 . the Graflex clamp has 3 holes drilled or punched. Other visible holes are tears in the foil tape. The run thread for Spirit of OB1's V3 post 54 has details. Awesome Book.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267595&page=3
Don Mac

Thanks for the link. This is what @PoopaPapaPalps was pointing out as well. I think I get it-- I just didn't describe it very well. In an effort ot be precise I was more confusing. I may just have to be more general "IT HAS HOLES!"

Last edited:

In any event – great job and thanks again!

M

haha-- never mind. sorry-- I just wrote LATER instead of EARLIER because I am an idiot. :)

-I'd take the real world parts bit and integrate it with the description/details of each of the sabers.
-You use terms we're all familiar with (beer tab (lot of people today don't know what a real beer tab is :), gear, shroud, etc) but in terms of an actual book, a photo or drawing point out those pieces would be a good addition as well.
-Don't be afraid to use lots of text. You're trying to give the history, usage, parts, etc. It can be a lot of info. Use it. You don't have to infringe on the photos. Look at the companion book to Mysteries of Myth or whatever the prop tour was called in the 90's. Great photos, but pages of text explaining things as well.
-I noticed, too, it include 4-6 with the TFA graflex and a shot of what probably would have been luke's TFA as well. Why leave out the prequels? Stick with what was used on screen. They have a bit less history as they're most machined, but still. Lots of cool stuff could be done with those as well.

I put comments first (which you asked for) because they tend to not be read as much if they're second :) I think you've done a very good job but I think this is something you could take all the way to publication!

-I'd take the real world parts bit and integrate it with the description/details of each of the sabers.

I was trying to stick to a saber a page, and it got really hard to do that when I tried it this way. I think that my intent is to just show the differences of the props, and get people started on the basic info. There is a version of this that could be a detailed build manual, but I feel like that info is out there in several places.

-You use terms we're all familiar with (beer tab (lot of people today don't know what a real beer tab is :), gear, shroud, etc) but in terms of an actual book, a photo or drawing point out those pieces would be a good addition as well.

Don't be afraid to use lots of text. You're trying to give the history, usage, parts, etc. It can be a lot of info. Use it. You don't have to infringe on the photos. Look at the companion book to Mysteries of Myth or whatever the prop tour was called in the 90's. Great photos, but pages of text explaining things as well.

I went back and forth on this. I don't disagree with you, but I ultimately decided that I didn't need to compete with Lucasfilm about covering props for a general audience. Like I said, this is directly for people who would find themselves here or at wannawanga looking to convert a Graflex or get in on a project run or something similar. Educating general audiences adds an entirely new layer that I'm not sure I want to really take on.

-I noticed, too, it include 4-6 with the TFA graflex and a shot of what probably would have been luke's TFA as well. Why leave out the prequels? Stick with what was used on screen. They have a bit less history as they're most machined, but still. Lots of cool stuff could be done with those as well.

Like I said in the intro, the PT sabers don't really have a complicated story or lineage that needs explaining. Nor are they reworkings of real world parts. It's a pretty simple story-- they were designed by the production artists and build by the prop department from scratch. If I was documenting every saber out there, I'd totally include them-- but that's also a different type of project.

I included the TFA sabers only because they had roots to the OT props-- just like I mentioned the ROTS sabers inspired by the OT versions.

I put comments first (which you asked for) because they tend to not be read as much if they're second :) I think you've done a very good job but I think this is something you could take all the way to publication!

Thank you! I'm totally not blowing your comments off, I just think you picture something a lot bigger than I want to tackle!

Last edited:
It goes like this...

From what I gather, that is correct, yes.

I said " foil tape surrounds the clamp; a round hole is present below the oval slot and to the left of the square hole below it through the tape and clamp; a second hole, just in the tape, lies on the other side...

Roy's post answered this.

What do you make of the pic on the V3/share stunt page in the bottom right. I included it cause it was rigged with blade for dueling, and the color looks Yuma-ish... but I'm just now seeing a very black booster section.

That is one of ANH shared stunts. If we're going on the idea that the V2 never had its clamp removed, then it would most likely be the V3/Shared Stunt. I believe that pic is from an old ESB BTS video so it lines up with the idea that both the V2 and Shared Stunt looked alike up until a certain point in the making of RotJ. However, that shouldn't be taken as "the V3 turned into what it looks like now", though it may have lead to it. I'm under the impression that what it looks like now is a result of touch ups and redressing after production had finished on RotJ for archival or promotional reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back