Weird question but best place/brand of milliput?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This was recommended to me for small detail work on prop pieces and custom figures and whatnot, and I've never used it before in my life.

Google has a lot of variables of who makes it, and where to buy it from.

I'm kinda hoping someone else here knows a bit about it and can point me towards the best stuff, or at least the stuff to avoid.

I'm just looking to do some small detail work on a few WIP things. Nothing huge.

Any advice is welcome!

Chris

Milliput is a brand of "epoxy putty" or "epoxy clay". There are three grades of Milliput. The finest grade is more expensive and both parts are the same colour: white. I also think that it might be less durable than the others but I have never had any issues myself. The differences are not great.

I have tried a couple cheap plumbing/house-repair stuff from a hardware stores but those have been pretty bad: smelly and crumbly.
Art supply stores and stores for model builders should have the good brands.

I used milliput for a while and it did the job fine. I found it had a weird issue if it sat for a while. One of the halves would skin over. I would have to peel this off and I would lose a good amount of material. I used Aves Apoxy sculpt instead and not only do I find it has a finer texture and doesn't mind being stored longer, I feel it is a bit more workable. You can wet tools with water and really get fine detail in easily. YMMV

I've used milliput before, generally used superfine white, finding the standard grey/green not quite as nice to work with and sometimes a little crumbly.

Milliput is nice because you can work it a lot with water to smooth it out, and delay drying, although from what Gixxerfool is saying, the same applies for Apoxy sculpt, which I think is a more popular choice now - I see it mentioned a lot on prop blogs.

I seem to remember reading something a while back where people where complaining they'd reacted to Apoxie Sculpt and had some issues with skin irriation, but I guess the thing there is just to wear gloves, unless you find they interfere with your process.

Having googled quickly, people have also complained of similar issues with milliput, so I guess it's just what works for you - but worth bearing in mind.

Green stuff/Kneadtite is also used a lot by the Games Workshop crowd for fine detail work on miniatures, and you can pick that up pretty cheap, and in small amounts, so that might be worth a look too.

I used to use milliput but now i use apoxie sculpt, standard milliput comes in two sticks the darker stick of the 2 goes off on the surface if it gets exposed to air. It forms a crispy shell which is not good.

Never had this issue with the apoxie sculpt. It stays workable longer than milliput.
I wont ever buy milliput again.

I use Migic Sculpt which is essentially the same as Apoxy sculpt and works the same way. Stores well as I've had the same containers for a couple of years. It just happens to be what I can get locally. The stuff is really great and very strong, holds details and can be sanded and tooled well.

Cool! Thanks for the help guys and gals!

I started a search on google for milliput but there were a ton of different types, brands, places to get it, etc, so I thought I'd check with the people that actually ~use~ it to figure out what works best :)

Now that I have some ideas, I can narrow down that search considerably!

Thanks again :)
Chris

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back