Misunderstood movie endings

It's not a movie, but I'm always shocked at how many people didn't understand the ending of LOST.

Yup. 2001...a beautiful movie, no doubt, but just, well, weird. Yeah, I've read the explenations but none the less, still weird.
But the one that has set in my mind as the weirdest was the Hugh Jackman flick, The Fountain. By God, I will never get those two hours back!

The Tim Burton Planet of the Apes. Hey People, to get there he flew through a rift in space-time. Escaping he flew again through the rift but instead of sending to his home dimension, he crashes on an alternate one...oh and he's screwed.

What they said about Lost in Translation is completely wrong.
That interpretation may be "based in the original script" but it's no longer true.
It's recently been revealed what he actually whispers to her at the end. (Spoiler tags in case you want to keep it a mystery.)
"I have to be leaving ... but I won't let that come between us, OK?"

And I thought I saw a documentary or interview with Paul Verhoven where he said the ending was meant to be ambiguous. I'll have to look it up again.

Here's what I got out of these movies .
Inception
The top was his wife's totem item not his .
He even says you keep your item secret .
His was his wedding ring I believe as it appears and disappears from his finger depending on if he is in reality or not .

In the matrtix if the chosen one downloads into the matrtix main port thingy it resets the matrix. that did not happen when neo pluged in he had to trick Smith into downloading into it . as soon as smith downdloads himself into neo thus through neo then it reset .
Plus smith calls the Oracle mother in the first movie and later we find out she created the one .

So obviously neo was not the one he was just an aberration that was powerful enough to fight smith long enough to trick him into downloading himself into the matrix .

Lost there dead at the end .(not the whole time!!!)
Time does not exist in the dimension of the dead so they can all arrive at the same time even though they died at different times.

In total recall the sales guy doctor whatever even remarks blue sky on mars before they plug him in which is how the movie ends.
I mean you think he really had that big ass metal sphere tracker crammed up his nose ?LOL

Last edited:
Im shocked that you think you do. Even the creators don't because it's BS.

It may not have been the ending that you wanted, but that alone doesn't make it "BS"

It really isn't that hard to figure out....just--apparently--to like.

- - - Updated - - -

Let the Right One In. I used to find the final scene romantic. Now I find it ominous and sad.

I'd thought the exact same.

After the first watching, I thought: "How sweet! They end up together!"

Then reality set in, and I realised that eventually he would become just like the previous "help mate" she had.

Indeed... Ominous and Sad. Tragically Beautiful, too.

It may not have been the ending that you wanted, but that alone doesn't make it "BS"

It really isn't that hard to figure out....just--apparently--to like.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd thought the exact same.

After the first watching, I thought: "How sweet! They end up together!"

Then reality set in, and I realised that eventually he would become just like the previous "help mate" she had.

Indeed... Ominous and Sad. Tragically Beautiful, too.

I wasn't sure if I had just grown cynical in my old age, but apparently the idea that Eli is just manipulating Oskar is a pretty popular theory. Doesn't diminish my love for the movie at all though. I just feel like it's a great work of art that is pleasantly open to different readings.

I actually don't think 2001 is that hard to understand because it is meant to be NOT understood. Wait for it...

Whatever the next leap forward is for humans, our current primitive minds can't understand it. The same way primitive man could't understand tool construction. So Stanley Kubrik used a bunch of hallucinogenic images to blow our minds. The fetus at the end represents our next progression; children of the stars.

As an 80's teenager, I used to search for hidden meaning in music videos. Later I found out almost all of them were just random stream of consciousness images. "Ok, now let's have a horse run through the scene....ok, good, good, ok, now turn the camera on its side...have the singer bite an apple...anyone else? Ideas?"

As an 80's teenager, I used to search for hidden meaning in music videos. Later I found out almost all of them were just random stream of consciousness images. "Ok, now let's have a horse run through the scene....ok, good, good, ok, now turn the camera on its side...have the singer bite an apple...anyone else? Ideas?"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tim Burton Planet of the Apes. Hey People, to get there he flew through a rift in space-time. Escaping he flew again through the rift but instead of sending to his home dimension, he crashes on an alternate one...oh and he's screwed.

No, he ended up in the future of the new timeline he ended up in during the first act. Come on, it's as easy to understand as the ending of Back to the Future. XD

any harry potter fans? i worked with a guy who was a huge fan. he always told me people miss understood the ending and harry potter ends up not being the chosen one, but neville longbottom was the real one

any truth behind this?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back