Misunderstood movie endings

Agent Smith is actually the chosen one, not Neo and of course he never leaves the pod of goo as he's always plugged in, like everyone else.

Not a fan of any movie that messes with time as it's too easy and contrived to make any nonsense up and justify it with 'time travel' or 'alternate time line/dimension' explanation, lazy film making....plus my little brain can't handle it.

any harry potter fans? i worked with a guy who was a huge fan. he always told me people miss understood the ending and harry potter ends up not being the chosen one, but neville longbottom was the real one

any truth behind this?

I guess it was made out in the books that Neville could have been the one. But he wasn't the one in the end. My wife loves the potter stuff and I tear it a new A hole since I find so many things wrong with it. Mainly how dumbledorf is really the villain of the wizard word. Plus I think Harry's dad was a thief I real life on how he gain his wealth. Since he did have the cloak of death. I have a ton of others, but it's for a different topic.

I feel like a lot of people misunderstand Fight Club. Some film critics and fans alike seem to think Fight Club endorses nihilism when it's actually a hilarious lampooning of nihilism when taken to excess. And the underlying joke is that everything basically happens as a consequence of "Jack" not being brave enough to ask Marla out on a date - which gives rise to his Tyler Durden alter ego. It's also a joke-parable about the evolution of masculine endeavor and how it leads to fascism... ... and all because he didn't have the "balls" to ask her out. That's what makes the film so brilliantly funny.

If you listen to the commentary track someone even comments that the movie is about "what happens when a bunch of frat boys read too much Nietzsche."

Last edited:
any harry potter fans? i worked with a guy who was a huge fan. he always told me people miss understood the ending and harry potter ends up not being the chosen one, but neville longbottom was the real one

any truth behind this?

If you go to pottermore.com you can find a lot of info on this type of stuff. I think the accepted canon is that BOTH kids fulfilled the aspects of the prophecy but Potter ended up being "the one".

Agent Smith is actually the chosen one, not Neo and of course he never leaves the pod of goo as he's always plugged in, like everyone else.

Not a fan of any movie that messes with time as it's too easy and contrived to make any nonsense up and justify it with 'time travel' or 'alternate time line/dimension' explanation, lazy film making....plus my little brain can't handle it.

the matrix still blows my mind... i always though neo was just another version of the chosen one, but because of a random outcome (him breaking smith free) now it introduced a whole new outcome the machines never saw coming..

i have constantly looked on youtube of matrix explained videos and never had any luck. i didnt think agents were humans plugged in, i thought they were coded programs?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it was made out in the books that Neville could have been the one. But he wasn't the one in the end. My wife loves the potter stuff and I tear it a new A hole since I find so many things wrong with it. Mainly how dumbledorf is really the villain of the wizard word. Plus I think Harry's dad was a thief I real life on how he gain his wealth. Since he did have the cloak of death. I have a ton of others, but it's for a different topic.

If you go to pottermore.com you can find a lot of info on this type of stuff. I think the accepted canon is that BOTH kids fulfilled the aspects of the prophecy but Potter ended up being "the one".

thanks guys, im not a huge potter fan. i enjoyed the films but dont follow is like my sister does. i never heard of evil dumbledorf theory im going to have to look that up. i also agree that harrys dad came off as a total jerk in the films to me... plus snape is my favorite.. so i was rooting for him

In the matrtix if the chosen one downloads into the matrtix main port thingy it resets the matrix. that did not happen when neo pluged in he had to trick Smith into downloading into it . as soon as smith downdloads himself into neo thus through neo then it reset .
Plus smith calls the Oracle mother in the first movie and later we find out she created the one .

I'll have to contradict this. Smith is not the One. The trick is the main computer system is hooked correctly into Neo at the end so when Smith takes over, the system has a direct line to him and can delete him.

Er Smith is a program not a human. I've never read anything saying otherwise.

Im shocked that you think you do. Even the creators don't because it's BS.

Sounds like someone that didn't understand the ending. ;)

This is a great interview... a guy interviewing Damon gives him crap for the terrible ending, but didn't understand it at all.

No they weren't dead the entire time.

And I get this a lot... it's kind of crazy that so many people didn't get what was happening. They spell it out at the end.

Longer interview here... and really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to
contradict this. Smith is not the One. The trick is the main computer system is hooked correctly into Neo at the end so when Smith takes over, the system has a direct line to him and can delete him.

That could totally be what happened.
And it would be as better movie too.

except it is explained that the reason the "one" is so dangerous is if he/she/it is downloaded into the source or main computer or whatever then it will reeset the matrix and it furter is explained that the Oracle created the one and the reset glitch.
Thats why she was the only one who could identify him and Remerber the end the dude coming to the Orical like well you finally did it.

Which would mean the "one" is a program logically. It is also said the "one" can change the matrix to his will. Neo bent the rules but never just completly changed anything . Smith on the other hand changed people into the matrix into him plus completly changed his surroundings in the last fight. He even ask Neo "do you like wehat I've done with the place" and a quick look around looks like a video game fighting background , no shops or doors just big generic buildings . the first hint is Smith calling the Oracle mom .

So if neo is the one he would have reset the matrix immediately including Smith's programming but he wasn't so he couldn't and he didn't. Smith did.

Neo just realized more than anyone the matrix is in your head so you can control your actions as long as it does not go outside of the structure of the matrix . which anyone in the matrix could do if they believed enough . meaning everyone in the matrix fights up to what they think there ability is .
Neo was told he was god like so he became that.
I would say this is my opinion but they flat out explain it in the movie . the problem is they explained EVERYTHING and it was so complicated and you only get pieces here and there and not in the right order .

Besides what did the Oracle tell neo when he asked if he was the " one" in the first movie ?

See it took multiple paragraph to just scratch the surface of explanations .

Last edited:
the Oracle created the one and the reset glitch.

They said the oracle created a glitch in the system that produces the one not that she created them directly.

Neo resetting would only occur if he went through the correct door when he was talking to the architect. It was never said he could do it any where, anytime.

I'm not sure this thread can survive a Matrix discussion derail battle but I do appreciate you put some thought into your ideas. There is A LOT of older discussion on the movies if you look online.

They said the oracle created a glitch in the system that pro duces the one not that she created them directly.

Neo resetting would only occur if he went through the correct door when he was talking to the architect. It was never said he could do it any where, anytime.

I'm not sure this thread can survive a Matrix discussion derail battle but I do appreciate you put some thought into your ideas. There is A LOT of older discussion on the movies if you look online.
LOL yeah friggin matrix !
but I never said he could reset the matrix anytime anywhere ? Not sure where you got that from my jibber jabber ramblings ?

No intrest in a battle . like I said earlier that's what I got out of these movies and I like to think that most movie's fall into the subjective category at least somewhat.

George miller taught me that. LOL .

Like my sternest belief that Highlander is a documentary !!!!! Hrummpf .

Oh I heard his and it makes sense although not a movie ending it does change perspective a bit. We all assume it takes place in the past but.......
Aladdin must take place in the distant future .
The genie (Robin Williams) says he has been trapped in the lamp over 10,000 years.
Yet he does impressions of modern day people as well as objects . so he must have been out and about to see Rodney Dangerfield and the like then put back in the lamp .
Plus according to what we supposedly know there would not have even been lamp's 10,000 years before the time period it seems Aladdin is set in.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back