K-2so build

Arms and Hands finished...hands are probably the most awkward, time consuming part of any build, except maybe the head. This proved to be the case with K2's long spindley fingers

I 3D printed the palm bit and filled it with resin, like the foot, so I could screw the fingers into it

IMAG1599.jpg

The arms were pretty straight forward really...just printed tubes with the Alu bearing joints and shims

IMAG1595.jpg

I was gonna mill the fingers on my milling machine but it was just too difficult to get them uniform, so I printed the main fluted digit and tapped in some 6/8mm linear bearings for knuckles

IMAG1597.jpg

Tempted to have him giving the finger, but I'll probably pose it another way

Just the final assembly to do now and get the lights all working

This build is just the coolest thing ever!

I'm still confused on how these parts are printed? Is it as simple as having the K2 files and investing in a 3D printer?

I know printers are getting more affordable, but I'm afraid it takes an engineering degree to run one properly?

This seems like such a huge, daunting build?!

God darn you're fast!!!
You're blasting through this build faster then I can catch up with your posts .. it's ridiculous!!!

Keep up the work .. :thumbsup

This build is just the coolest thing ever!

I'm still confused on how these parts are printed? Is it as simple as having the K2 files and investing in a 3D printer?

I know printers are getting more affordable, but I'm afraid it takes an engineering degree to run one properly?

This seems like such a huge, daunting build?!

Thanks! There is a lot of post production work but it is a relatively simple process, if you take it in stages; yes, get the STL files or use your own, slice them up so they will fit on the bed of your printer, spend around 3 weeks/6 rolls of filament, printing everything, stick all the parts back together, cover all the parts with polyester resin inside and out to strengthen, coat everything with filler/bondo etc, sand all parts and repeat and repeat until you're satisfied with the finish, paint and weather.

If you want to make him stand up you'll need to create an armature which could be PVC pipe. Because my K2 has quite a bit of metal on it I had to use a metal skeleton as previously posted. Then maybe some lighting for the eyes and backplate and you're done

3D Printers are an essential part of the prop making process in my opinion,.,you will have to do some tweaking and fiddling about occasionally but nothing else comes close, at a hobby level, when it comes to creating and prototyping shapes. Get a good one, not a kit, unless u know what you're doing, and u should be sweet

Last edited:
OK final update...K-2SO protocol sentinal droid, is done! He has taken me just over a month to build from scratch, using 6 rolls of PLA and 3 cans of stove paint, and a load of left over bits and pieces. By far the most enjoyable and difficult part of the job was creating the skeleton to make him stand independently...he is not the most natural of bipedal droids.

Anyhow pix...

IMAG1603.jpg IMAG1607.jpg

He is relatively easy to transport. Only 2 halves to carry plus the arms/hands and he just slots on top

IMAG1633.jpg IMAG1629.jpg IMAG1624.jpg IMAG1630.jpg IMAG1632.jpg

Thanks to the Star Wars design team for yet another great character for us to build
And thanks for watching and all the comments

What already?!?
Fastest build I've ever seen on the RPF in years!!! Amazing what you did here my friend! Huge kudos to you for using technology and talent in the most gratifying way!!!

Still can't believe this .. one month!! Sheesh!!

:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back