Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 7/25/17

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/23/17

Great job for a great character.
I love Death Dealer, unfortunately a little known character.
I made this set 1 year ago, based on the version of Dark Kingdom

10408741_1650371798580800_8091824615314982520_n.jpg11224407_1650371808580799_5909735354403466406_n.jpg

Great job for a great character.
I love Death Dealer, unfortunately a little known character.
I made this set 1 year ago, based on the version of Dark Kingdom

Thanks! Yeah there are just so many versions of the character it was hard for me to decide on which version to depict.

Frazetta Death Dealer Helmet - I had a couple of questions about smoothing out monster clay. After I have gone in with a small loop tool I use mineral spirits and a stiff brush to smooth everything down. For this helmet I am going to make a junk mold so that I can have a resin cast to further refine / sand and remold for the final product.

SB5t8Pph.jpg

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/24/17

This is one of the best interpretations of the helmet I have seen yet. I have seen the original paintings and own all his Death Dealer Master Collection replicas. The texture of the original paintings offers no hints to the helmet's design. I have looked through batches of his Death Dealer sketches, and there are tons of different designs he did for the helmet. A LOT of them he did left handed. He strongly suggested he never intended for it to be seen. He painted over any details he had on the originals. Most of the sculptures I have I also find disappointing. Can't wait to see it finished.

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/24/17

Frazetta Death Dealer Helmet - Drawing heavily off of all of Frank's Death Dealer paintings I decide to go with the circular details on the front and back of the helmet but also implementing the ornamental crown details from Frank's first DD painting. The rivets are acrylic half spheres and the concave circlets are large grommet tops.

TjzO03sh.jpg

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/25/17

Have you thought about hanging some light chainmail of the main helm in front of the mouthplate? I saw some early sketches that had that. They were older ones, looser and livlier before he had the stroke, so I would guess before he did the sketches for Danzig's comic or the statues. I always thought it would explain the vague detail he kept for effect in the paintings.

Have you thought about hanging some light chainmail of the main helm in front of the mouthplate? I saw some early sketches that had that. They were older ones, looser and livlier before he had the stroke, so I would guess before he did the sketches for Danzig's comic or the statues. I always thought it would explain the vague detail he kept for effect in the paintings.

Ive seen other artists depict it with the chainmail and I had thought about cutting the mouth out and trying that on a custom version. But I haven't ever seen Frank sketch it that way.

If you come across images of these sketches please feel free to forward them on to me.

Ive seen other artists depict it with the chainmail and I had thought about cutting the mouth out and trying that on a custom version. But I haven't ever seen Frank sketch it that way.

If you come across images of these sketches please feel free to forward them on to me.
I will look through some of my older books, but I saw them over 2 decades ago in person, I was a kid and it was before the new Museum. There were stacks of sketches and books with plastic sleeves full of stuff so nothing solid that I remember. It's sad that the family is selling off stuff, it might be impossible to see all the works together soon. If you have the chance to get one of the Master's Collection paintings, definitely do so. They aren't as nice as the originals, but I stare at them just as long. lol.

Looks fantastic, can't wait to see the finished helmet :)
I really like the face design you went with, it's what Frank designed himself for the face of the helmet for Bowen so it's totally the way to go.

Frazetta Death Dealer Helmet - The horns were made by creating a wire armature and wrapping it with aluminum foil. Supersculpy was roughly built up and hardened to give me a solid base to work on. The final details and striation were achieved with Monster Clay. I kept it symmetrical so I can use one mold for both horns

bFCQx8Ph.jpg

Re: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer SKS Props - Updated 1/26/17

Frank Frazetta Death Dealer Helmet - I completely forgot to show sculpting details on the back of the helmet. So here is a before and after shot showing how the plate was built up. Acrylic half spheres used for rivets.

v5OrDvgh.jpg

17sadivh.jpg

CTW6Ix0h.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back