Jack Sparrow - another budget build

omel

Sr Member
Hi Guys, the office had a Pirate theme for our Christmas party so i decided to do Cap'n Jack, this was cobbled from stuff around the house except for the pleather that i got cheap. haha. this was done in a few weekends so apologies if nowhere near being accurate...but will improve on this for the 2017 POTC.

here is what i ended up with:

IMG_20161228_114216_zps9wpye9bl.jpg

some shots from the party

IMG_20161223_180758_zpsbncxh8gh.jpg

IMG_20161228_114244_zpsd0ampsd3.jpg

IMG_20161228_114043_zpsviqqr4rt.jpg

IMG_20161223_172400_zpsafyfxekp.jpg

IMG_20161223_134836_zpsunezysjb.jpg

20161223025050_zpsahmlvutl.jpg

here is the wig, dreads made from socks wrapped in brown yarn, hehe and an assortment of hair extensions and beads and trinkets..

IMG_20161221_062845_zpswcuqygra.jpg

IMG_20161221_062902_zpsr3jupvcw.jpg

IMG_20161221_062917_zpsxhtxbcyr.jpg

with the tricorn, pattern found on the internet and traced unto leatherette, weathered with shoe polish..

IMG_20161221_063042_zps5bdnbrr6.jpg

IMG_20161221_063026_zpstw0rlaye.jpg

will update some more wip pics of the parts i made.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Thanks! here are some pics of the individual items i made, sorry but photos were taken once they were already done ( not much of WIP photos)

IMG_20161204_111101_zpsgamh8kxr.jpg

IMG_20161204_111047_zpsi4chessc.jpg

Pepakura compass, will make a better one with better materials

IMG_20161204_111139_zpsqxbo0rpt.jpg

IMG_20161204_111028_zpsn3ywk5vm.jpg

IMG_20161203_073334_zpsbqrsykhi.jpg

IMG_20161203_073308_zpstlafgp4m.jpg

buckles made from cardboard template, backed with wire coathangers and covered with clay epoxy then painted with nail polish and markers, baldric buckle is static, the baldric belt made from a couple of old belts made to look wider by glueing pleather on both sides..,..oh...and the chicken foot is made from twist wire wrapped in duct tape and covered in epoxy clay. hehe

IMG_20161204_110906_zpsu5ffyrwu.jpg

IMG_20161204_110805_zpsulmdsyjw.jpg

Rings made out of assorted bits of fashion jewelry and plastic...

IMG_20161203_073555_zps4rgvkutk.jpg

IMG_20161203_073449_zpsqzjcliup.jpg

flintlock barrel from fax paper tube, grip from toilet paper tube,an old pen and cardboard, covered with epoxy clay, sword blade from layered cardboard wrapped in aluminum tape, hilt from vinyl foam and cardboard and curtain rod end.

Last edited:
Re: Quick and Dirty Jack Sparrow - another budget build

10/10 for a budget build mate! The whole thing looks fantastic, I wish my first couple of attempts looked that good.

Thanks Mate!

The waistcoat was made from an old office "Barong" with the sleeves cut off and fashioned into coat pockets, the rear was trimmed and sewn to the front to acheived the proper length, plastic gold buttons from one of the wife's old dress was attached and faux button holes made from lace, the poets shirt was likewise from an old shirt with sleeves replaced with fabricated "Loose" sleeves from another shirt with similar material, the Sash was made from a couple of old kitchen towels with a close enough pattern,which were cut then sewn to make it longer. pants are old brown/gray slacks. the boots are old shoes wrapped in pleather and boot cover made from same material, all the soft parts were soaked in a mixture of Coffee, Tea and Coke to give it an "Aged" and dirty look. being a pack rat has its advantages because almost all the materials used for this build were scrounged from the storage room...harharhar.

That is one FANTASTIC budget build! Bravo to you!! Can't get over what a good job you did with what you had on hand.

Kind regards,
Indy

WOW, a compliment from you is really really appreciated. thanks thanks, your Cap'n Jack is really superb! hope to improve mine even just a bit as great as yours for the upcoming DMTNT. yo ho ho!

Hi Guys! just saw the new trailer for DMTNT and am quite stoked to improve on my ragtag build;

Here's some pics i grabbed from office mates!

IMG_8511_zpssvwxufom.jpg

_MG_8653_zpsvdpocyd9.jpg

IMG_8554_zpssysuf3da.jpg

IMG_8508_zpshgd4kaqd.jpg

Once bitten mate there is no turning back now.......

- - - Updated - - -

....Or...."it be too late to alter course....!"

Once bitten mate there is no turning back now.......

- - - Updated - - -

....Or...."it be too late to alter course....!"

arhhh...ye be right matey! among the costumes i've made so far, Capn Jack is the most fun to wear...its comfortable, non restricting and you can goof around....

Hi all,

Here is my take on Jack's new belt, its another budget speed build ( couple of hours for two nights. hehe) so apologies for innacuracies..

printed a nice snakeskin pattern, glued it to appropriate length ( width is under 4 inches)

covered in PVA glue, allowed to dry and the dotted individual scales with more glue to create texture..glued to 2mm craft foam, and sprayed with clear /gloss acrylic epoxy paint..

printed buckle to correct size and glued to hard board ( 3 layers) , details are epoxy clay/waterstop,

the finished belt along side the two initial ones, buckle was spray painted gold/bronze then weathered with black shoe polish.

Last edited:
Can you please give more detail on how you made the dreadlocks/wig? I'm working on mine right now and I'm having a hell of a time trying to make the dreadlocks.

Hey mate, basically the dreads are socks, some old pieces of cloth, and rope, braided or stretched out then wrapped in brown/black yarn, then wrapped further by fake hair. I made a skull cap from duct tape, upon which I hot glued the dreads around the edges then attached a couple of fake hair extensions.
For the sock dread, take any old thick pair of socks, tie a piece of yarn at one end and tie it to something so you can pull on the sock to stretch it out, then proceed to wrap yarn roughly but taut till you reach the other end of the sock, repeat with different color of yarn and or fake hair until you like how it turns out. Really quick, easy and cheap way of doing it. :) someday I may upgrade the dreads following YouTube tutorials using synthetic hair, ...Ahrrr..

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back