Prop/Replica Theater Room

Zcoberly

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally after years of collecting and planning, I am building my prop replica theater room!

First, the tear down. This room was originally a Tampa Bay Buccaneers themed room...time for that to go.

Here are a few of the before pictures, I had already emptied the room...mostly.

20161228_160242.jpg20161228_160314.jpg

And here are the beginnings of the tear down. The room had a drop ceiling with the tiles painted black, I hated them, so they are gone! And with that decision I gained a few inches in the height of the room.
20161229_111015.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I decided I would also remove the French doors and the windows because the main purpose of this room was display the replicas and props in a very uniform and clean way. I did not want to have things randomly hung all over the walls, I want to be able to see everything.

Doors gone and re framed. The windows are staying there but I am blacking them out and covering them up.
20161231_191028.jpg

I also decided to build up the floor a little, and also build a "stage" for the front of the room while switching between the walking dead marathon and game of thrones marathon.20161231_224718.jpg

Framing up what will become my lighted recessed display areas.
Floor has been covered in plywood20170101_211326.jpg

Also, the beginnings of the entertainment wall which will hold the tv, an electric fireplace under the tv, cabinets to hide the dvds and shelving to display smaller props.
20170102_181850.jpg

Here are a few pics of my current progress. The display walls on the lower level are covered, power has been run for all display walls and the entertainment wall is a little closer to being complete.
20170108_143722.jpg

I also tested out my color changing dimmable led lights for the display walls with Narsil. I think I love it.
20170110_150633.jpg20170110_180055.jpg20170110_180102.jpg20170110_180121.jpg

Awesome project, looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Do you have a theme in mind? You're already off to a great start with Narsil.

Awesome project, looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Do you have a theme in mind? You're already off to a great start with Narsil.
I had 3 different themes I was trying to choose from. I decided to toss out all 3 ideas because my props vary greatly and I didn't want the props to look out of place in the room. I had designed the room to look like the "bridge" of a star destroyer, second design was the interior of the Falcon, and the third idea was the hall inside Winterfell from Game of Thrones.

The goal of the room is to display the props and I felt the props would get lost in the themed rooms.

The room is very sleek, but for display purposes. It's gonna be great

Are you keeping the flat panel or going projector?
I have both, the screen is a roll up screen. We love the projector, but sometimes the tv is a better option. All the types of media will be hooked up to both the projector and tv.

Are you concerned about light leakage from the windows? It could be an annoyance. I'm thinking about building a removable frame that would block out all light and still be light enough for a child to lift off to egress in case of an emergency.

TazMan2000

The windows will be fully covered, the white shelving (which won't be white) has a gray vinyl wrapped back pannels that isn't installed yet. That is what will fully block the windows.

AVS - Audio Video Security. Home Automation can also fall into that. Dhart503 probably mentioned that because this thread is for Replica Props and I'm sure we'll all eager to see what you have to display once you finish up your renovations.

TazMan2000

I realize this is a thread for props... I thought people might want to see what goes into creating a space to display the props. It seems people are interested, but I can always stop updating until the props are displayed in the room and then update.

Can't really look at the props until they are in a room...displayed.

Not bashing. Eager to see the props too. Avs is a forum site for home theater things. They have dedicated home theater build threads. You can get a lot of great ideas from the guys there.

I have both, the screen is a roll up screen. We love the projector, but sometimes the tv is a better option. All the types of media will be hooked up to both the projector and tv.

What rez is the projector?

I have 1920 x 1080 now and after seeing these new 3840 x 2160 units (most use E-Shift, but the SONY is real 4K), I want an upgrade.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back