How much Smooth Cast for helmet

MightyMuffin

Hello all,

I'm finally at the stage of casting my Tali (from mass effect) helmet in a 2 part silicone mould.

I'm hoping to slush cast it using Smooth Cast 300.

My question is, are 1 or 2 of the tester kits enough to pull a helmet? The gallon seems just too much for what I'm wanting to do, and is less than ideal on a student's wallet! It's also super hard to get hold of here in England. Is there a worthwhile alternative that might be a bit friendlier on the pocket that anyone this side of the pond has experience with?

I've done a search, and haven't found any results, so I'm really sorry if this has been asked already!

I've linked an image here to give an idea of the size of the helmet. Unfortunately it's impossible to see on the reference image, but the helmet continues around the back of the head, close to the head:

http://img05.deviantart.net/25ff/i/...i___model_reference__by_troodon80-d4i0sjc.jpg

Sorry guys, bumping because I'm sure somebody has experience with this or knows the answer? I don't want to go dropping £120 if £40 (2 testers) of the stuff will do the job

A few comments:

Don't hold me to this, but I want to say it'd be fine. A kit is two pints, two kits is half a gallon. You might honestly be able to squeeze it out of one tester if you use the whole thing, but I can't say the final part would be very thick. It's a hard thing to guess without physically seeing the parts.

Is Smooth Cast 300 really an ideal slush casting resin? I thought they offered 65D for that purpose. I mean, you can probably do it, don't get me wrong.

Last little bit of advice: Buy talc powder. Brush it into your molds. It helps eliminate air bubbles on the surface of your pours in tiny features (rivets, screwheads, whatever), and if you're only buying just enough resin for one shot at this, make it count.

Lik Ein said, the 65 D is a self leveling resin, ideal for rotocasting, thats what its made for. Is this going to be a display, or are you going to wear it?

I was only drawn towards the 300 after reading previous posts on here saying they slightly preferred it to the 65d, but the 65d does seem to make more sense as that's what it what developed for.

I do intend to wear it, I have a deadline of end of May so I have a bit of time, but I'd like to crack on.

Thank you so much for the talk tip Ein, I'll make use of that.

Do you guys know of any off-brand alternatives, or is the Smooth Cast really the only way to go?

Many thanks for the help

I was only drawn towards the 300 after reading previous posts on here saying they slightly preferred it to the 65d, but the 65d does seem to make more sense as that's what it what developed for.

I do intend to wear it, I have a deadline of end of May so I have a bit of time, but I'd like to crack on.

Thank you so much for the talk tip Ein, I'll make use of that.

Do you guys know of any off-brand alternatives, or is the Smooth Cast really the only way to go?

Many thanks for the help
Im sure there are some polytek alternatives, but Smooth on is just the easiest, and user friendliest stuff. Its relatively cheap too, 80 bucks for a gallon. Youre in the UK though, so maybe mouldlife has what you need?

in quantity of the 300 I assume you mean the blue and white pint size "trial kit" things? I use the whole thing for one helmet, not at a time. I think it was 4 ounces of each A and B at a time, mixed, slush cast, then repeat. I do it in small sections at a time. too much and I end up with a thick spot in one area. but for one I use both 1 A and 1 B. it MIGHT be 2 kits, I haven't cast anything in a while, but might as well get 2 to be safe. the helmet comes out to be about 4mm thick or so.

a gallon of 65D is a LOT. I would be surprised if one starter kit isn't enough for a single helmet. But I would get 2 starters just in case if that's an option.
the first pass is the most important to get good coverage. the rest is just adding thickness.
there are very good tutorials that you should watch on smooth-on's page before casting.

a gallon of 65D is a LOT. I would be surprised if one starter kit isn't enough for a single helmet. But I would get 2 starters just in case if that's an option.
the first pass is the most important to get good coverage. the rest is just adding thickness.
there are very good tutorials that you should watch on smooth-on's page before casting.
Youre right, it is. Im the guy though that would much rather have too much than not enough. Also, I seemed to burn through a lot of materials when I was first learning. :lol

Youre right, it is. Im the guy though that would much rather have too much than not enough. Also, I seemed to burn through a lot of materials when I was first learning. :lol
Ha, I wasn't referring to your comment on a gallon, I was also speaking form experience on buying way too much for a particular project .( bought a gallon needed a starter kit or 2)

Ha, I wasn't referring to your comment on a gallon, I was also speaking form experience on buying way too much for a particular project .( bought a gallon needed a starter kit or 2)
Yeah I remember, when you were doing your kick ass bucky arm!

Sweet, thanks so much for the advice guys. Two trial kits it is then I think!

I'll make a proper post for the project once I've pulled (hopefully) the completed helmet.

So, talc, 2 trial kits, and a bit of luck... fingers crossed.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back