Subscribe
  1. Automaton's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    194
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 5:45 PM - Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #1

    First one off the bench in 2017! We had a few nice days so I got to paint. Here's R5-D4, the other half of the R2 kit I built over a year ago. Poor R5 had a bit of a rubbish time of things, and I've rusted him up a little after seeing some other builds that kicked the living force out of him and looked ace.

    Sprayed in Tamiya and Humbrol acrylics (no airbrush on this one). The rust is painted on and the are some sand stains made with pastel chalks. All the decals were really annoying. The Bandai decals just seem to stick really badly... however that was quite useful for the head stripes, which I cut down from two pieces into six pieces for easy handling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2949.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	697246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2950.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	697247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2946.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	697244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2951.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	697248

    ...And finally with his bro-bot R2. They make a good pair. These are such great little kits with a lick of paint!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2947.JPG 
Views:	303 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	697245
  2. Murph's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Messages
    43
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 7:09 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #2

    Looks great! Did you use the Tamiya metallic blue? I used that on mine and have never been totally sure about it but it kind of grew on me. The blue parts on yours look nice.
  3. Automaton's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    194
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 7:22 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #3

    Murph said: View Post
    Looks great! Did you use the Tamiya metallic blue? I used that on mine and have never been totally sure about it but it kind of grew on me. The blue parts on yours look nice.
    Cheers! Yes, the blue's Tamiya, but randomly it's the PS-16 polycarbonate-compatible spray. It's a bit light but it looks okay at this scale.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    266
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 7:25 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #4

    Dang. Now I need to buy these Bandii droids!

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. BLADE and BRUSH's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2016
    Messages
    26
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 9:50 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #5

    Both droids look great. It's a shame you had trouble with the decals. I'm about to apply some Bandai decals myself so I hope the issue isn't typical.
  6. Automaton's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    194
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:09 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #6

    BLADE and BRUSH said: View Post
    Both droids look great. It's a shame you had trouble with the decals. I'm about to apply some Bandai decals myself so I hope the issue isn't typical.
    I was going to say I've had the same issue before, but thinking about it, R2 was the same decal sheet so I might have better luck with the other kits. They do stick, but when they're wet the adhesive isn't really stronger than the effect of any damp finger/brush/paper towel. It makes them easy to reposition, although any uneven surface is a bind as they tend to lift off. The don't wrinkle easily, either. My technique with these is to carefully position them with the tip of a blunt scalpel so there isn't much surface contact, don't blot until it's looking dry and then a quick spray of clear coat before I work on anything nearby. What's ironic is that for stickers, the Bandai stickers are really good and will work as a back-up if you wreck a decal!

    Hopefully, you'll have better luck.
  7. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    266
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:35 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #7

    Automaton said: View Post
    I was going to say I've had the same issue before, but thinking about it, R2 was the same decal sheet so I might have better luck with the other kits. They do stick, but when they're wet the adhesive isn't really stronger than the effect of any damp finger/brush/paper towel. It makes them easy to reposition, although any uneven surface is a bind as they tend to lift off. The don't wrinkle easily, either. My technique with these is to carefully position them with the tip of a blunt scalpel so there isn't much surface contact, don't blot until it's looking dry and then a quick spray of clear coat before I work on anything nearby. What's ironic is that for stickers, the Bandai stickers are really good and will work as a back-up if you wreck a decal!

    Hopefully, you'll have better luck.
    Did you use a decal setting solution or softener? Mr. Mark works pretty well on Bandai decals , Solveset is even stronger.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  8. Automaton's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    194
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:45 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #8

    Toadmeister said: View Post
    Did you use a decal setting solution or softener? Mr. Mark works pretty well on Bandai decals , Solveset is even stronger.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Cheers for the tip! I didn't use those on this - I presumed they'd slip about even more and I still wouldn't be able to blot it, but I'll give that a go on K-2SO. I do usually use Microsol/Microset for stickier decals so I'll break those out. Softener isn't too essential for these as the surfaces are quite flat, but K-2 is a more of a challenge!
  9. Victor3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Messages
    246
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 8:31 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #9

    Nice work!

    Did you prime these before spraying? I've got this set in the cabinet waiting its turn, but my hobby time is often pretty limited, so I tend to get frustrated with too many steps. Any shortcuts that still get great results are always welcome
  10. blakeh1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Messages
    1,444
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 12:21 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #10

    Excellent work, your R2 in particular is pretty spectacular!
  11. Automaton's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    194
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 1:07 PM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #11

    Victor3 said: View Post
    Nice work!

    Did you prime these before spraying? I've got this set in the cabinet waiting its turn, but my hobby time is often pretty limited, so I tend to get frustrated with too many steps. Any shortcuts that still get great results are always welcome
    Thanks! Yes, I did. But I use the Tamiya superfine white and just give the parts one thin coat as it covers so well. If I get everything prepped in advance and a production line going it's pretty quick!

    blakeh1 said: View Post
    Excellent work, your R2 in particular is pretty spectacular!
    Thanks!
  12. Victor3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Messages
    246
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 6:08 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #12

    Automaton said: View Post
    Thanks! Yes, I did. But I use the Tamiya superfine white and just give the parts one thin coat as it covers so well. If I get everything prepped in advance and a production line going it's pretty quick!



    Thanks!
    Thanks! The only primer I have is gray and kinda coarse. Which obviously is no fun. Maybe I'll see if they have that at the hobby store, next time I make the trip down to Pittsburgh.
  13. Too Much Garlic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Messages
    9,936
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 6:47 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #13

    Looking really great. Wish they did these in 1:6 scale too.
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    7
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 3:41 AM - Re: Bandai 1/12 R5-D4 - first build of 2017! #14

    Great work, the weathering is spectacular!

Similar Threads

  1. Ewok Build for SW Celebration 2017 ***PIC HEAVY***
    phrank26, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 9:56 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2 Days Ago, 10:13 PM
  3. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 10:29 PM
  4. Bandai A Wing Build
    Murph, General Modeling
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Sep 18, 2016, 5:00 AM
  5. A groot build for 2017
    Squirrelman8203, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 31, 2016, 1:49 PM