Skeksis Sculpt

Astromechfan

I just wanted to Share a Sculpt i"m Starting. calling myself a Novice sculptor would be giving myself too much credit. but here it is my first crack at sculpting a Skeksis from the film Dark Crystal. Why a Skeksis? Aside from Dark Crystal being in my top 10. I figured a Skeksis was a good start because I feel it would be the most forgiving of any first time sculpts they're Bird/Lizard creatures that are 1,000 years old. So I felt that that would have a random enough surface where i could make the clay work for me instead of me working for the clay. with all the Valley, Peaks, Wrinkles, warts, scars, etc. I would truly love any and all advise, shortcuts, critiques, i can get from all of you please teach me what I so desperately need to know.
photo.JPG

Looks like a great start! Great proportions. How are you planning to display it? I have a Mystic head and wish that mounting brackets had been built into it to assist in displaying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great start! Great proportions. How are you planning to display it? I have a Mystic head and wish that mounting brackets had been built into it to assist in displaying it.

Thank you so much for the reply really means a lot. I have not yet thought about how i will be displaying it. Like everyone else who tries their hand at sculpting a Skeksis i want to mold it and cast it. however I'm still researching that because I do want to keep the sculpture afterwards. if anything it'll sit on its lower Jaw much like a plastic skull does.

That's how mine is displayed - but I may mount it so you can see all sides of it:

77b5f7ba977f3eb8167a8eef3c57b542.jpg

what youve done so far looks great, however for something so large and being a novice I think you'd find a water based clay much easier to work with than the sculpey. But if youre finding it okay going definitely keep going with it!

That is a beautiful sculpt! what were your materials? your paint and eyes really bring it to life.

I bought the cast from another RPF member. I used a ton of different washes in various colors - blue and purple for veins. The eyes are boar eyes from a taxidermy supply place. I have them puttied in so they're removable.

what youve done so far looks great, however for something so large and being a novice I think you'd find a water based clay much easier to work with than the sculpey. But if youre finding it okay going definitely keep going with it!
thank you so much for the advise MIMIC. had I known before all this that water based clay was the easier medium believe me that is where I would have started LOL but as it stands I'm think doing alright with the Sculpey nothing has started smoking or sparking yet so thats always a good sign. any more advise would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the cast from another RPF member. I used a ton of different washes in various colors - blue and purple for veins. The eyes are boar eyes from a taxidermy supply place. I have them puttied in so they're removable.

Awesome cast! Gotta love taxidermy supply. Dat paint job Doe. Very nice. Thats one area of this project I'm not so worried about do to I apprenticed under a Special effects make-up artist who could teach me everything to do with make-ups and paints but couldn't sculpt to save her own life...

Reference! Print off reference pics, have them next to your sculpt from all angles at all times and take photos of your sculpt next to the reference pic this should help your eye see lines better. Just keep tweaking don't give up until you're happy with it!

Astromechfan - post another pic of your sculpt so it shows up as the main pic in the feed. I keep seeing the mystic head show up instead of yours.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back