Sympathy Lantern Lamp from The Kingkiller Chronicles

cordaroyfog

Hey all,

I've gotten into The Kingkiller Chronicles lately and am midway through The Wiseman's Fear. I decided I wanted to make a sympathy lamp for my wife for the holidays.

For those unfamiliar, sympathy is loosely what they call magic in the books and lanterns and lamps that use it do not produce heat and often give off a red light.

After looking around I found a very nice looking LED lantern on amazon, and more importantly, it was metal and glass construction but VERY affordable.

It also had access to the leds, which I used translucent model paint and a very small paintbrush to coat a faint red. I used a dremel to carve runes on the metal and looked for a suitable antique looking leather case to present it in. I am very happy with how it came out and she loved it!

I printed and weathered a tag and attached with twine.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Very nice! They are two of my favourite books, I'm surprised there aren't more parts around from them. Lately I've been thinking about making the sword Saicere from WMF and how best to bring the description to life.

Hope you're not expecting the third book out anytime soon though...

The Name of the Wind was awesome! The author's writing style was amazing. I think Wise Mans Fear was also good but got kinda weird. Still waiting for book three. I am afraid this Rothfuss fellow may be pulling a Martin on us...

Great idea on the lamp btw. Look forward to seeing it completed. Sorry for the rant!

Wow, I'm kinda the opposite. I hated the books.

However, that is one badass lamp :)

Did you copy the rune style from anything or are they self designed? Either way it's beautiful work man!

Chris

Wow, I'm kinda the opposite. I hated the books.

However, that is one badass lamp :)

Did you copy the rune style from anything or are they self designed? Either way it's beautiful work man!

Chris

Thanks! I could see how the books could be loved or hated honestly, I like them but
I understand. There were no real references to runes from the books I could find
so I combined some fan drawings and ones I modified myself.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back