Need help with Hocus Pocus spell book

castmemberzack

Hey guys,

I've been planning on making a hocus pocus spell book as accurately as possible. I've gotten many people saying to use foam, clay, leather, 3D print, paper mache, etc. I'd love some advice one what you guys think would be good to use for this book. Here are some pictures of the actual prop: http://imgur.com/a/w7Hvj

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

That's really cool - if I were replicating it I'd probably consider using Sculpey clay for the snake pieces, and combine with a leather covering. Etsy has a few sources for eyeballs - check out Fourth Seal Studios in California. I'd probably repurpose an existing book for the base. Good luck and post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really cool - if I were replicating it I'd probably consider using Sculpey clay for the snake pieces, and combine with a leather covering. Etsy has a few sources for eyeballs - check out Fourth Seal Studios in California. I'd probably repurpose an existing book for the base. Good luck and post pics!

I've got a 3D printer for those! I'll post them when finished so others can use them. My parents are both in the optical business so I can get real fake eyes! I was definitely leaning towards leather. I'll definitely post pics when done!

Hey castmemberzack,

I just came across this posting. Have you put together a plan to cover the book?
There are several ways and materials that can be used to create the look of skin pieces.
On Youtube there are a few tutorials and DIY's showing the build techniques.

propmaster2000

Hey castmemberzack,

I just came across this posting. Have you put together a plan to cover the book?
There are several ways and materials that can be used to create the look of skin pieces.
On Youtube there are a few tutorials and DIY's showing the build techniques.

propmaster2000

I found that most of the tuts didn't faithfully or accurately represent the book, but more of takes on the book for cosplay. I'm a stickler for details.

Are you still working on this project?
Just wondering.......

I too am taking a different approach to creating the spell book
Mine will have all the skin pieces made independently of each other with real hemp stitches (not painted on).
Not like I've seen on the net.
The most common procedure I've seen is they'll draw out the stitch path lines on the front and then fill them in
with paper towel or tissue paper and build the raised stitch areas and snakes with cotton (I'll be sculpting clay).

Mine will also have an animated, 2 axis, servo driven eye (not a painted ping pong ball or half round eye glued in place).
I am thinking of making the "animated eye setup" and sell them at auction (not sure yet).

Still working out the details, but here is a video link of my progress so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of adding more stiches using clay.
Testing the paint colors as well as textures.

IMG_8096.JPG

Last edited:
I always like to see how others are coming along on there projects and this one is know different.
Is there any more news on this?
Just checking. :)

I'm jumping on this project as well with a full animatronic eye and silicon cover. How has yours held up?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back