Gorilla build - 1st time

cckaiser2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been on the RPF forum for a long time and thought I'd document a project that I've been considering for a long time.

This project came about as I've worked on a number of other projects. Since the RPF and other forums have provided so much help to me in the past - proton pack build, chewbacca build, etc...I'm hoping this log will allow for more of the same.

This will be a full size animatronic gorilla that is wearable. I chose to do this as I expect to utilize multiple skills during the process - most of which I haven't done in the past:

Sculpting
Molding & casting with silicone and resin
Hair punching and hackling
Animatronics
Anatomy and proportions
Foam work
Painting and dye work

Please provide feedback. I'm using the Tirinnanzi DVD set as a guide to assist, although most processes will be altered to allow me to complete them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First priority is to plan out the body proportions and begin the head sculpture. I've never done either so I'm really jumping in head first.

Body:
Purchased mannequin and 2 morph suits. I'm planning to cut upholstery foam into muscle shapes and insert between the morph suits. Then I'll see around the rams using a "stretch stitch" to allow the suit to stretch.
cb7d32895316bb37ea97d2255a9e5c20.jpg

This was the first run - I considered adding the foam muscles to the suit and sewing spandex around it but the 2 morph suit plan is working better.

Here's the work on the head. I ordered a set of eyes from a great source on Etsy so I had the right eye size to work with. I replaced the blanks with rolled up clay so I can ultimately mold the finished sculpt.

01c5c71e58d6cab52ed41d15d5ef6ef0.jpg

dcb7ec71e82a49e99bc0dbfd884a5724.jpg

6a11a36b4db2e4f54bc13d49ff718eb4.jpg

I'll continue to refine this. Sculpting is proving to be very satisfying and also very frustrating. Not sure how to ensure symmetry. The good news is that a lot of the imperfections will be covered up by hair.

I also realized I'd need to sculpt a chest piece. I'm thinking that I'll make the finished piece out of thin foam backed silicone and imbed some power mesh into it so I can sew the chest into the final suit. Here's the chest sculpt and the mold process:

33de6159770448ff4939ce09783d12f3.jpg

0f73850fa49f879e502bb28b33584aba.jpg

d02185bba1a1752d8f1589f64c626df9.jpg

4be74aa8f3c640b9069bf901c891ddf3.jpg

I'm happy with the mold but can't figure out how to clean it properly. I'm using WED clay. I cast some latex into the mold and it came out ok but I'm concerned about trying silicone. Open to suggestions from anyone out there.

Once your plaster mould has fully cured you can clean in simply with warm water and a brush and allow to fully dry after washing. It should work fine with latex or any basic mould making condensation cure silicone you shouldn't need to do anything I cast silicone mould keys in a plaster mould frequently.
:)

I'm trying to get the muscle suit correct. Here's a pic of the belly being added. I want it to move more freely than some other muscles so am connecting it to the shoulder pad harness -I think it needs to come down a bit. I pinned a latex pull of the chest to help guide me visually.

534f4c3bd10d33703a51c4f524c83f7c.jpg

54c24c4469992def36493f4572c92e01.jpg

This is looking great so far! Where did you find the shoulder pad harness? Looking for an upgrade to my home-made one. Thanks!

Found the shoulder harness at play it again sports - it's a hockey set - smallest one I could find - barely fits over my head.

Started sculpting wrinkles today - I've been putting it off. This is my first sculpture of any kind. Wrinkles turned out to be more difficult. I'm hoping someone can provide suggestions for me on how to sculpt in wrinkles and small details.

7f871106e80bec76df835c22185967f5.jpg

0f43d1a0359accf6ff7218397755433b.jpg

44943029933702b600859efa4626789f.jpg

With WED anyone will struggle to put fine details in whilst it still so bag fresh. Work over all larger first and now you feel it's ready to refine allow the sculpt to air out a little, once the surface starts to firm up you will be able to add finer and finer detail.
WARNING though it must not ever be left just to dry or cracks will soon start to develop and this will become much harder to get rid of and give you a serious headache in the long run. Another technique used is take a piece of thin plastic or something like cling film/Saran wrap lay it onto an area of your sculpt and use something like a cocktail stick to then draw in wrinkle detail over the plastic, then lift to see the results. This should stop the edges of your details furring up leaving you with nice subtle details.
It's looking great though, one hell of a project keep it up- subscribed!

I wasn't happy with the start of my wrinkles so starting playing around with some other areas. That turned into a bunch of changes. Here's where I currently am:

db266c0dfdb99ba81b2ac927f6139b98.jpg

I added to the brow ridge, widened the face, heightened the top of the head and rounded the mouth. The eye wrinkles will likely change a bit.

I updated the sculpt a bit and adjusted some wrinkles. I need to let it dry a bit before adding smaller wrinkles:

f2749c39bd3b957f8cc5c9a8a8555ecb.jpg

That's a terrific sculpt.

Thanks! It's my first time sculpting and I'm really proud of how it's evolved. It has helped to walk away from it multiple times but I'm ready to finish it soon.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back