Has anyone tried 3D printing an Endoskeleton? Please discuss

clonesix

Master Member
Yes, I love endo, but not enough to buy a $6K model. I would, of course, print one. I gave the paper model endo a try, but just felt that I would need to mold and cast it to get something more durable.

Well, 3D printers have come down in price enough that I finally ordered one. It will take me a while to get it dialed in, but those endo piece would print out real nice if there were a .stl file out there. I did a brief search, but didn't see anything on the subject. Is there anyone out there who has printed one or knows of a file on any of the multitudes of parts?

I have seen a Endoskull file in thingverse, but I hope there are better files out there.

There was a project on endobuilders once regarding scanning the whole endoskeleton, but it stopped and nothing came of it. There are some okay 3D models out there, but nothing that links back to the original pieces. The skull on Turbosquid.com is just a scan of an M1 skull.

All I have seen is the skull. I am sure I watched a video where a guy printed all the hand components.

All I have seen is the skull. I am sure I watched a video where a guy printed all the hand components.

The hand components are made for 3D printing! Someone has got to have drawn the file.

I realize that everyone here, on this board like accuracy/lineage to the movie, but "to-scale' and 'available' are better. If I have to use this project to learn 3D software just for this, but worth it! Each piece of mechanics is a cylinder, or a plate, and I think an excellent project for a 3D printer. I can't be the only one who thinks this

I found a fairly accurate endoskeleton lower arm model, done like the arm model seen at Cyberdyne in T2. The pistons were just connected to the hand plate a little too far out to the plate edge, but was otherwise really great. I'll see if I can find the link to the creator. However, it's an .igs file, so you need a program that can open those to view it. I have it listed as being created by Antoine Fleury, in case that helps with the search.

There's someone in Japan who created the T1 hand and printed it out, but I'm unsure whether he's interested in sharing the files. And I don't know if he's selling copies of the prints.

Yeah, I got the 3d printer to print a nice little disc, and I liked it. The 'choke point' in all this is Sketchup make. I am new to sketchup and watching the tutorials on youtube , but it seems that the free version won't let me do things like merging intersecting shapes. EDIT Yes it will, I am just doing it wrong. Is it only the $700 version that will allow you to do that?

Still, I think this would be a natural for 3D printing, and I would think that there would already be people on the various parts.

I also found this video on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjubLdOgr4

I don't like the fact that it is all one piece, rather than separate jaw, jaw pistons, neck, and eyes. Surely a well thought out model would have skull right and left halves

Last edited:
aknee.jpgOK, this is a small start, but I am happy to report that I have managed to create a knee joint.

Sure, this might seem simple to some, but I am trying to learn Sketchup to do this, and I find it challenging. It is not a good photo, but I managed panel lines on the cylinder surface, and I am pretty happy with it,

Yeah, I got the 3d printer to print a nice little disc, and I liked it. The 'choke point' in all this is Sketchup make. I am new to sketchup and watching the tutorials on youtube , but it seems that the free version won't let me do things like merging intersecting shapes. EDIT Yes it will, I am just doing it wrong. Is it only the $700 version that will allow you to do that?

Still, I think this would be a natural for 3D printing, and I would think that there would already be people on the various parts.

I also found this video on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjubLdOgr4

I don't like the fact that it is all one piece, rather than separate jaw, jaw pistons, neck, and eyes. Surely a well thought out model would have skull right and left halves

One would have thought that the designer would have made each part separate.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY real advantage of paying the licensing fee between Sketch Up "Free" and Pro is the ability export of files as DXF and STL. The program itself seems to work the same. There are free extension files that support the exporting of STL and DXF files anyway.

In regards to merging shapes, it can be done, but sometimes you need to manually go in and draw the connecting lines. It then tends to break round surfaces into polygons, but that is the limit of a sub $1000 dollar CAD. Want better, pay more or use a different program.

I am learning all this from youtube, and practicing on this project. I am aware of the free plug-in warehouse. There are plug-ins for exporting to .stl and some for drawing compound curves. I haven't got to them yet, as I could spend every waking hour drawing this stuff out, and it will still take a year or more. There are a LOT of pieces to this thing. It is only that I was SO impressed with the printed results, I am willing to spend the time learning.

It has been a very long time since I was excited about building something, and the Endoskeleton has always been so far out of reach. I have tried building him in foamboard, PVC, and plywood. This desktop 3D printer is capable of delivering a full Endoskeleton, as good as I can draw him. In addition, at 1/10 the weight of a resin Endo, and as such, I would love a Bunraku (?) Puppet, where I walk behind him, with rods mirroring my moves. I would walk around with him!

Yes it is easy to use, but Sketchup would not be the way to do it. It creates unnecessary geometry and exporting from sketchup is far from good.

If you haven't check out this blueprint thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=140617

An accurate 3D printed endoskeleton would be effin sweet, to say the least. Especially if you end up with something like this:

The available endoskeletons found online are all "off", some more than others, a few example models:
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/terminator-t-800-obj/532918

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-terminator-t800/885938

This one must be based on the NECA:
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-terminator-t800/1065460

This is easily the best one I have seen, but it's still far from accurate
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-rigging-kinematics-biped/1015010

Also there are free CAD software out there. One major issue is accurate references, even if you own a full sideshow endoskeleton, it's far too inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting those references, The Terminator. I have some of them, and have been using the drawings of the fingers to draw the models. Thus far, I am happy with the results. I didn't know if the printer would print small items, or how strong they would be. Here are a few finger details that I tried out over the weekend.

aknuckle.jpgI am happy to report that they came out amazing at 40% fill. They are very strong and when I print the finals, they will be 100% infill.

As far as "Accuracy" goes, I will be happy with a completed endo. It doesn't need to be identical to the movie, just look good. I am using the 1:2 scale papercraft plans for this. and I mam sure some liberties were taken. The thing that I am sure of, is that once this thing is put together and all the lines are plumbed, and eyes glow, NO ONE will complain that it isn't accurate.

Last edited:
P1120211.jpgThus far, I will predict that an Endo Arm is coming soon. I have had printing success with the knuckle, fingers, and carpals, The wrist cuff is the right shape, but has no detail I am going to try and make the carpals and the wrist plate, one piece. I am pretty sure I can get the right angle, but not sure if that is a bett way to print. More coming.

Last edited:
Well, he can count to five now, Technically 10 if I flip the files and print the other hand. These went easier than the other body parts. Many times I get extra stuff or sections mission from a print. Some parts need to be redrawn a few times before they go through. I hope to give Autodesk123 a try and see if that makes it any easier.

P1120214.jpg

There, that's more like it. I could have sworn I added an image...

Last edited:
armm.jpg

Well, I got all the way to the elbow and am having trouble getting the Bicep drawn on Sketchup. I have decided to start learning Autodesk to begin the more difficult parts. Every time I try to draw something in sketchup, things disappear, or don't connect. It is very frustrating. So now I am going thru youtube videos for leaning Autodesk123.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back