Space helmet/visor -found item

joeranger

Sr Member
Cleaning the basement, I found my wife's Jose Cuervo Margarita Ball. I took the label and pumper off.

For someone like me who can't make a curved visor, this seems like an easy starting point for any number of space helmet projects.

I think it's too small (10") for a head to fit in, but it could be cut up for just the visor part. Or a kid space helmet. It is pretty sturdy plastic.

ball 3.jpg

That seems like an amazing base for a Martian or MJOLNIR suit, or possibly a marine from Alien. How durable are those domes?

Never heard of it here in the UK - had to google it and damn! you can't get anything like that over here. Maybe there's some money to be had shipping to GB? One on ebay for £36.00 ($45.00) plus P&P

The size is ok but the opening is too small. I may cut it up. I should have ordered a bunch of them, there are too many projects i want to do.

I am wondering if I can widen the opening with a heat gun? My first attempt just kind of melted it.
IMG_20170424_143821.jpg

The size is ok but the opening is too small. I may cut it up. I should have ordered a bunch of them, there are too many projects i want to do.

I am wondering if I can widen the opening with a heat gun? My first attempt just kind of melted it.
View attachment 724230

Ditch everything but the portion that goes up and down. The pivot points should be by your ears. Thats how my A7L replica is made. The visor goes up and down inside of a vacuformed helmet (two sides glued together in the middle).

One issue with using these spheres, is in most helmets, the visor is not a perfect sphere. The radius from forehead to chin is generally larger than the radius from ear to ear. In addition, the sides of the visor are most often flat. This facilitates the rotation bushings. Using a sphere as a base will make your helmet much wider than a helmet you are copying.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back