Fallout Vault-Tec clock build

PoutySlug

This is my first post to the RPF, so hello everyone! I figured I'd share my first prop build even though it's not really a replica, more like my interpretation of an object from the Fallout universe.

Since I have a few friends who are fans of the Fallout 4 game, I made them each a functional clock for Christmas. Each piece was accompanied by a letter of acceptance into the vault program for the specific recipient, detailing their vault number assignment and a notification that a free gift had been dispatched to their address as a signup bonus. The free gift was scheduled to ship and arrive in December of 2077, which was after the nuclear disaster(s) in October of that year. That explains why they are in preserved condition... they never shipped.

Now that the "story" is laid out, here are a few pictures of my progress.

I started with some scrap 3/4" aluminum plate from work and drew up my design in Autodesk Autocad. After I got the logo drawn, I imported it into Mastercam to generate a program for the CNC milling machine to whittle away at it. There are two programs: one for cutting the back relief for the clock motion and the outer profile, then another for cutting the face details. Shown is the second program for cutting the face side.
IMG_20161220_123757730.jpg

Here is the progression from a piece of raw material through the first operation, then through the second op.
IMG_20161220_185321917.jpg

This was the final product, coated in an appropriate Vault-Tec safety yellow paint. I might try weathering the one I saved for myself, but we'll see where it goes. I'm also toying around with the idea of making a back plate for mine to cover the motion as well as making some glow in the dark features on the dial graduations. Maybe you guys can provide some suggestions. :)

IMG_20161225_215029914.jpg

I love it, your friends got some cool presents! I think it would look good with the flat back portion of the clock being a sky blue color going with the Vault-Tec color scheme....and grubby and weathered, hehe.

If you wanted to go all out you could have glow in the dark, dim leds, or even tritium inserts in the hour marks (that would be spendy).

I love it, your friends got some cool presents! I think it would look good with the flat back portion of the clock being a sky blue color going with the Vault-Tec color scheme....and grubby and weathered, hehe.

If you wanted to go all out you could have glow in the dark, dim leds, or even tritium inserts in the hour marks (that would be spendy).

Thanks! I'll have to see what kind of LED clearance I have in in there. A green ring with a sort of "humming"/ flickering effect would be perfect since everything seems to be nuclear powered in 2077. If there's not enough room, I may just make some dowel pins with glowing ends that'll press into each graduation.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back