question regarding welding metals ????

stonedog7563

Hi all,

I need to have a block of metal welded to the front of a Thompsons M1A1 upper receiver (pulse rifle build) is it possible to weld aluminium to steel, if so, what sort of weld will be required, tig, mig etc, or will i need to use a steel block (steel to steel) ?????

thanks for any help offered.

I am not into metals at all, but used to work at a metal plant. I seem to remember them saying that aluminum had to go with aluminum, because it's so soft. I think from a techinical standpoint, you can not do this, as the aluminum would melt before you could get the steel hot enough for the weld. But that does not prevent things like JB Weld, epoxy, Super Glue, screws, nuts/bolts, etc. ;)

Just for your information, I work in a welding supplies outlet..... and YES, it is now possible to weld steel to aluminium.

The process has been cracked by EWM in Germany using a process called cold-arc.

Can only be used for thin plate materials at the moment though..

We have a couple of samples on our sales counter.

Is that using a TIG and a special new type of welding material? I have seen copper to stainless recently in a similiar way but I can't remember the name of the rods..

TAZ

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back