Robotech / Macross VF-1A battroid and fighter

BLADE and BRUSH

Happy New Year, everyone. I'm offering two videos for the price of one today.

Both models are 1:100 scale and come from a company called Wave. Having built Hasegawa's 1:72 and 1:48 fighters, I found that Wave's kits were more enjoyable to assemble and paint. Be sure to Check out my channel in case you missed my previous videos over the Christmas break.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIZDIaslRwS0pAajQWdQH3Q

If you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wave kit really are nice aren't they? :D
I also painted mine up in Max's colors, but much more weathered. Yours is so crisp and clean, fantastic job!

Have you thought that maybe you would get more attention to your builds if you included still images with or without the video? Just a thought, nice work.

That has crossed my mind, Scarecrow Joe. I put a bit of effort into the videos so I'd prefer people to watch them rather than just look at images. The view count on my build threads isn't too bad, even if the comments are a little sparse, not that I mind. I put it down to my choice of subject matter and the fact that I'm a bit lazy with commenting myself.

I'm close to completing another Bandai Star Wars kit, so maybe I'll post some pictures alongside the video and see what happens.

That's cool, TMBountyHunter. I'd love to see some pictures of your weathered version. Feel free to post them here if you like.

Sure!
The other differences are that I opted to keep the camera on Max's battroid as is the kit, while you changed it to match the TV series and that the decal on the gunpod is oriented to be upright in fighter mode.

nP0MUpw.jpg

W3r7Hfn.jpg

WKiIdOH.jpg

rMR6J3F.jpg

mejtNBn.jpg

JbHBjWf.jpg

LQyvoqe.jpg

zEwtaBS.jpg

nRU3nj6.jpg

EBzYxwF.jpg

TSeD8nV.jpg

I still have two Wave VF-1A Fighter kits, one of which is definitely getting a Max paintjob again so that I can use it and the battroid for Gerwalk mode.

Fun little kits! :D

Wow, they're both excellent, TMBountyHunter. Thanks for showing them. Weathered is definitely the way to go, I think. It's too bad that the J and S seem to be discontinued. The VF-1A is the only one still available on HLJ, not including the Super and Strike versions. I believe a 1:72 VF-4 is coming, but I'd love to see Wave do a 1:100 VF-11B in battroid mode.

I never heard of Wave but those are some nice kits. Surprised to see anyone but Bandai having made kits these days.

I wouldn't trust HLJ's "Discontinued" status, that's simply something they use when they don't know when they'll get more. The Wave kits do come around pretty regularly, at least once a year. The VF-4 is something they've been promising, but there's currently a lot of Macross model projects announced but no release dates yet.

Very cool! I love those Wave Battroids, they capture the look of the anime version better than any other kit has (despite Hasegawa's being amazing). I have one which I'm pondering painting as Jetfire. Anyway, nice builds, cool to see some mecha on the RPF!

I wouldn't trust HLJ's "Discontinued" status, that's simply something they use when they don't know when they'll get more. The Wave kits do come around pretty regularly, at least once a year.

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Very cool! I love those Wave Battroids, they capture the look of the anime version better than any other kit has (despite Hasegawa's being amazing). I have one which I'm pondering painting as Jetfire. Anyway, nice builds, cool to see some mecha on the RPF!

Thanks Pedro. I agree about Wave's kits being closer to the anime series look. As a fellow transformers fan, I considered painting the fighter as Jetfire, too. Good luck, whichever color scheme you decide on.

I've done a zillion battroids over the years including a DYRL Hikaru VF-1S from Hasegawa somewhat recently, so that's definitely the plan. Never thought to post it here, but I will when I get to it!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back