Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:06 PM - Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #1

Started on the Big Z today. Quality, fit, and finish are top notch. The sides of the super structures are separate detail panels applied to the hull. The edges are beveled resulting in excellent fit. The side trenches assemble the same way. They are also keyed so you can't put them in the wrong place or position. For me, I'll be building the major sub assemblies then drilling and running fiber. I'll then assemble the sub assemblies.

And for a fun comparison, here is the lower hull with the new Revell SD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101172043a.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	694835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101172042.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	699.6 KB 
ID:	694827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101171446.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	812.0 KB 
ID:	694824  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101172043.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	659.4 KB 
ID:	694834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101171446a.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	734.6 KB 
ID:	694825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101171521.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	871.6 KB 
ID:	694826  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101172043b.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	749.8 KB 
ID:	694903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0101172045.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	694838  
    Last edited by Robiwon; Jan 2, 2017 at 6:46 AM.
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:11 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #2

That is awesome. The size is perfect and that detail is pretty good. I would only assume Bandai would top that.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:27 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #3

This is a nice kit. Thanks for showing it with the Revell kit for comparison.
    From
    Germany
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:30 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #4

Great, now i need the small Revell, too.

Edit: Just ordered. And i have no idea what i shall do with it.
    Last edited by Lichtbringer; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:56 PM.
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:33 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #5

Looking good, Robiwon!! Looking toward to watching you work your magic on this kit!
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:34 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #6

Nice! What color would you use for painting it? Does this model benefit from some wash? I ask since this is one of the ships usually portrayed in films as "clean" looking unlike most of the other ships.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 1, 2017, 8:49 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #7

Thanks guys. Haven't decided on a finish yet. I do like the paint job I did on the smaller Revell kit though.
    From
    Langley, British Columbia Canada
    Jan 1, 2017, 10:16 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #8

Nice! Will be following along.

I have one question Robiwon,... where did you order it from?
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 2, 2017, 3:43 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #9

I got mine from Craby Shop on eBay.
    Jan 2, 2017, 8:08 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #10

Keep 'em coming Robiwon!

Chris
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 2, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #11

Hoo-rah...! Will enjoy this thread. Thanks for the pic with the Revell.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 2, 2017, 11:56 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #12

Glad you are all along for the ride! I'll start drilling for fiber in the next day or two. I'll be back at the bench tonight for a little bit and post up some new pics. I'll dust off the old Ani and get some more comparison pics too.

As far as lighting goes, my plan is to light all seven engines and fibers for the hull lights. Now, I've seen a lot of build ups of the RC kit and Ani kits. Most are fantastic. We all know that 8 footer had a ton of lights in her. When replicating that in a much smaller model you can kinda get what I call the "Christmas Tree" effect. So many lights it blinds you to look at. This will have a lot of lights, but I will try to avoid the "Christmas Tree" effect.
    From
    Germany
    Jan 2, 2017, 12:06 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #13

Most time the effect seems to be caused by way to bright lights, not neccessary to much.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 2, 2017, 1:46 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #14

Going for scale lighting on this. Need to order fiber optic cable though. The two spools I have are both 1mm. I must have used the majority of my .5mm on my Salzo Galactica.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 2, 2017, 5:31 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #15

Robiwon said: View Post
    Glad you are all along for the ride! I'll start drilling for fiber in the next day or two. I'll be back at the bench tonight for a little bit and post up some new pics. I'll dust off the old Ani and get some more comparison pics too.

As far as lighting goes, my plan is to light all seven engines and fibers for the hull lights. Now, I've seen a lot of build ups of the RC kit and Ani kits. Most are fantastic. We all know that 8 footer had a ton of lights in her. When replicating that in a much smaller model you can kinda get what I call the "Christmas Tree" effect. So many lights it blinds you to look at. This will have a lot of lights, but I will try to avoid the "Christmas Tree" effect.
    Suppose this model requires fiber optics, or do you think it could be lit ala the Death Star?
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 3, 2017, 4:00 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #16

PH, I think the problem with lighting it internally like that might be an issue due to the thickness of the "double wall" construction of the super structure and trenches. As you know, on the DS you only see lit windows looking directly at it, anything that is facing slightly away from your line if sight the light disappears. This is because the light source itself is not actually at the surface, but deep inside. I think the SD , if lit like the DS would exhibit the same effect, no lights on except where you were looking at.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 3, 2017, 7:27 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #17

Got all the trench pieces installed. There are some "bare" spots that will need some greeblies added to them. Again, love the way this kit is going together. I need to order .5mm fiber optic this week. I'll start on the other super structure assemblies today and then start drilling holes. Engines will need to be drilled out as well. Here are some new pics and where she sits now.

Port side trench detail.

The inside edges of the starboard side trench. You'll have to drill thru both to run fiber.

Bare spots needing details.

And the upper and lower hulls resting together.

Jan 3, 2017, 7:39 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #18

So, what is your opinion, are the side trenches tall enough?
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 3, 2017, 8:18 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #19

PH, I think the problem with lighting it internally like that might be an issue due to the thickness of the "double wall" construction of the super structure and trenches. As you know, on the DS you only see lit windows looking directly at it, anything that is facing slightly away from your line if sight the light disappears. This is because the light source itself is not actually at the surface, but deep inside. I think the SD , if lit like the DS would exhibit the same effect, no lights on except where you were looking at.
    That makes perfect sense... Build looks great so far!
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 3, 2017, 8:26 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #20

Edge, I am plenty satisfied with it so far. The trenches can use some extra details to "busy" things up a bit. The basic shapes are there, but could use more piping and indiscernible "shapes" I suppose. I'm happy with the height, so far.

PH I figured you would understand what I was trying to explain. The same question was posed on another forum too. I think the only way to do it is to run fibers.
    And thanks for the comments guys. It's been fun so far. I really hope they do other SW kits if this what we would be getting from them.

Edge, here is a nice comparison shot I found online. It showcases the differing heights of the trenches between the two SD's. The Zvezda matches the R1 trench height very well I think.

Last edited by Robiwon; Jan 3, 2017 at 9:00 AM.
    Jan 3, 2017, 9:10 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #21

Edge, I am plenty satisfied with it so far. The trenches can use some extra details to "busy" things up a bit. The basic shapes are there, but could use more piping and indiscernible "shapes" I suppose. I'm happy with the height, so far.

PH I figured you would understand what I was trying to explain. The same question was posed on another forum too. I think the only way to do it is to run fibers.
    And thanks for the comments guys. It's been fun so far. I really hope they do other SW kits if this what we would be getting from them.

Edge, here is a nice comparison shot I found online. It showcases the differing heights of the trenches between the two SD's. The Zvezda matches the R1 trench height very well I think.

http://i64.tinypic.com/103z76a.jpg
    The only problem is that the rest of it matches the 8 footer. Search your feelings, you know it to be true!
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 3, 2017, 9:32 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #22

I will look at what needs to be done to the neck to angle the bridge face down, but other than that, I'm not going to do much modifying. One could spend months making mods to this to make it match a screen ship, but I just can't have another year long project! There's too much other stuff to build. Plus, there is already someone who is increasing the trench height as well as the height of all the super structures!
    I will add that our good friend Tony, aka 308bits, has ordered a Z SD too.
    Jan 3, 2017, 11:57 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #23

Looking at the trinch ,I like the amount or I guess the lack of detail gives a lot of room for custom details. Don't get me wrong I would love a super accurate star destroyer but there is something fun with being able to do your own thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the different custom jobs that people will be doing with this kit. My big dilemma is figuring out how I'm going to mount /display this thing.
    Jan 3, 2017, 4:23 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #24

This is gonna be good.
    From
    Australia
    Jan 3, 2017, 5:21 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #25

Very nice!!!

I will be interested to see how you light the trenches seeing as when I look at mine it has an upper and lower inside lip that will need to be drilled through.Once glued together it will be hard to reach the upper side of the trench to pull fibres through.

Ben