Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Started on the Big Z today. Quality, fit, and finish are top notch. The sides of the super structures are separate detail panels applied to the hull. The edges are beveled resulting in excellent fit. The side trenches assemble the same way. They are also keyed so you can't put them in the wrong place or position. For me, I'll be building the major sub assemblies then drilling and running fiber. I'll then assemble the sub assemblies.

And for a fun comparison, here is the lower hull with the new Revell SD.

Attachments

• 0101171446.jpg
    0101171446.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 998
  • 0101171446a.jpg
    0101171446a.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 971
  • 0101171521.jpg
    0101171521.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 737
  • 0101172042.jpg
    0101172042.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 987
  • 0101172043.jpg
    0101172043.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 975
  • 0101172043a.jpg
    0101172043a.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 0101172045.jpg
    0101172045.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • 0101172043b.jpg
    0101172043b.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
That is awesome. The size is perfect and that detail is pretty good. I would only assume Bandai would top that.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Great, now i need the small Revell, too. :lol

Edit: Just ordered. And i have no idea what i shall do with it. :facepalm :lol

Last edited:
Nice! What color would you use for painting it? Does this model benefit from some wash? I ask since this is one of the ships usually portrayed in films as "clean" looking unlike most of the other ships.

Thanks guys. Haven't decided on a finish yet. I do like the paint job I did on the smaller Revell kit though.

Glad you are all along for the ride! I'll start drilling for fiber in the next day or two. I'll be back at the bench tonight for a little bit and post up some new pics. I'll dust off the old Ani and get some more comparison pics too.

As far as lighting goes, my plan is to light all seven engines and fibers for the hull lights. Now, I've seen a lot of build ups of the RC kit and Ani kits. Most are fantastic. We all know that 8 footer had a ton of lights in her. When replicating that in a much smaller model you can kinda get what I call the "Christmas Tree" effect. So many lights it blinds you to look at. This will have a lot of lights, but I will try to avoid the "Christmas Tree" effect.

Going for scale lighting on this. Need to order fiber optic cable though. The two spools I have are both 1mm. I must have used the majority of my .5mm on my Salzo Galactica.

Glad you are all along for the ride! I'll start drilling for fiber in the next day or two. I'll be back at the bench tonight for a little bit and post up some new pics. I'll dust off the old Ani and get some more comparison pics too.

As far as lighting goes, my plan is to light all seven engines and fibers for the hull lights. Now, I've seen a lot of build ups of the RC kit and Ani kits. Most are fantastic. We all know that 8 footer had a ton of lights in her. When replicating that in a much smaller model you can kinda get what I call the "Christmas Tree" effect. So many lights it blinds you to look at. This will have a lot of lights, but I will try to avoid the "Christmas Tree" effect.

Suppose this model requires fiber optics, or do you think it could be lit ala the Death Star?

PH, I think the problem with lighting it internally like that might be an issue due to the thickness of the "double wall" construction of the super structure and trenches. As you know, on the DS you only see lit windows looking directly at it, anything that is facing slightly away from your line if sight the light disappears. This is because the light source itself is not actually at the surface, but deep inside. I think the SD , if lit like the DS would exhibit the same effect, no lights on except where you were looking at.

Got all the trench pieces installed. There are some "bare" spots that will need some greeblies added to them. Again, love the way this kit is going together. I need to order .5mm fiber optic this week. I'll start on the other super structure assemblies today and then start drilling holes. Engines will need to be drilled out as well. Here are some new pics and where she sits now.

Port side trench detail.

1z35k0k.jpg

2j1kdux.jpg

1236zo6.jpg

The inside edges of the starboard side trench. You'll have to drill thru both to run fiber.

a2x36h.jpg

Bare spots needing details.

wqq554.jpg

140hdz9.jpg

And the upper and lower hulls resting together.

29dgs41.jpg

PH, I think the problem with lighting it internally like that might be an issue due to the thickness of the "double wall" construction of the super structure and trenches. As you know, on the DS you only see lit windows looking directly at it, anything that is facing slightly away from your line if sight the light disappears. This is because the light source itself is not actually at the surface, but deep inside. I think the SD , if lit like the DS would exhibit the same effect, no lights on except where you were looking at.

That makes perfect sense... Build looks great so far!

Edge, I am plenty satisfied with it so far. The trenches can use some extra details to "busy" things up a bit. The basic shapes are there, but could use more piping and indiscernible "shapes" I suppose. I'm happy with the height, so far.

PH I figured you would understand what I was trying to explain. The same question was posed on another forum too. I think the only way to do it is to run fibers.
And thanks for the comments guys. It's been fun so far. I really hope they do other SW kits if this what we would be getting from them.

Edge, here is a nice comparison shot I found online. It showcases the differing heights of the trenches between the two SD's. The Zvezda matches the R1 trench height very well I think.

103z76a.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back