Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

I see. I was aware that was the mesh Anigrand used - I actually rather like it myself since it's got the bridge greeblie that matches up with the interior bridge shots in the various movies. I've seen mention of the "SF" before - just can't seem to find the source material. If there's a 3D mesh already, as in the Fractalsponge effort, then making it into a solid is straightforward, if tedious. Then it could be printed. I shudder to think of the time it would take to spin up from scratch!

The bridge window detailing wasn't on it originally either, it only appeared on the oversized tower models built for ROTJ. Here's the tower face from the 8ft model, with more flat lighting.
_706938236037858_2629893871470957141_n_zpsts6ejbk9.jpg

I'd like to maybe take a crack at it in 3D. Not sure how great it would be but think it could be done. I'll play with it for fun anyway. Who knows, may turn out alright.

Last edited:
Actually there were more than just 2 Bridge Faces for ISDs. There were 4 different faces for different class ISDs.

The Imperator Class such as the Devastator on Rogue One and ANH models, the Class II Destroyer Bridges such as we saw with Captain Needa ducking with his Lieutenant when the Falcon zipped over the bridge in ESB, and the Class III Bridge which is the first model to have the 9 window viewport that Vader's Executor sported.

Then the Executor Class Bridge Face which is completely different and larger than the other bridge faces - as witnessed by the 8 foot Conning Tower model in ROTJ.

I guess we can have fun picking what we like from the ISD buffet table.

kdyfaces1.jpg

This is some great work here Robiwon.
My kit just arrived today. Wow! Nice kit. Regardless of what changes are made or not made no one would mistake this for anything but a really cool Star Destroyer. :)

Actually there were more than just 2 Bridge Faces for ISDs. There were 4 different faces for different class ISDs.

The Imperator Class such as the Devastator on Rogue One and ANH models, the Class II Destroyer Bridges such as we saw with Captain Needa ducking with his Lieutenant when the Falcon zipped over the bridge in ESB, and the Class III Bridge which is the first model to have the 9 window viewport that Vader's Executor sported.

Then the Executor Class Bridge Face which is completely different and larger than the other bridge faces - as witnessed by the 8 foot Conning Tower model in ROTJ.

I guess we can have fun picking what we like from the ISD buffet table.

View attachment 703777

How does this reconcile with the filming models? There were at least three right?

--ANH full ship
--ESP full ship 8'
--ROTJ Over-sized conning tower

How does this reconcile with the filming models? There were at least three right?

--ANH full ship
--ESP full ship 8'
--ROTJ Over-sized conning tower

There were two over-sized towers built for ROTJ. The Avenger type and the Executor, they were slightly different for some reason, maybe to imply the Executor was bigger.

There were two over-sized towers built for ROTJ. The Avenger type and the Executor, they were slightly different for some reason, maybe to imply the Executor was bigger.

IIRC, the Executor tower is the same size (in universe) as those of regular Star Destroyers.

I actually sorta like the differences found between the different SD towers. It's like differences found between US aircraft carriers. I figure each ship has some special modular changes for its intended mission, area of operations, or by request of its Captain, Admiral, Commander, or Sith Lord.

There was one other bridge, sometimes referred to as the 'Communications Ship' bridge tower face which had more protruding details including several bridge window pods. I think this was a close up bridge tower with extra parts applied to change it's look. IIRC it appears in the scene with a burning TIE fighter spinning towards it and exploding. I used to have all this data on another computer but I haven't moved it from the old drive yet.

EDIT- Here is the article with illustrations of the different Bridge Towers used
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/towers.html

Last edited:
Don't you hate when you run out of stuff and have to wait on supplies to be ordered and delivered before continuing?!?!?!?
O.K. got more fiber optic in so I can continue my build! Need to fiber the bridge face in the traditional way. My LED lightbar with stubby fibers just didn't work.

Oh, and I want to share a goody from our friend Tony, aka 308bits on Shapeways. Screen accurate shield generators! I'll be ordering a set. Not sure if I will use them on this build (as I'm so far along) or on the Revell version when it comes out in May. Yes, I'm doing two builds, maybe more.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N2WHGUDYS/star-destroyer-zvesda-1-2700-shield-generator
2uf9eg0.jpg

Geez, very nice! (And I already got the first Shapeways shield generators - the ones that are a direct replacement. Looks like I'll have to sell that pair to someone that doesn't want to modify their bridge parts! If I can get just one build out, that will be amazing. Don't need two pair. ;) )

Geez, very nice! (And I already got the first Shapeways shield generators - the ones that are a direct replacement. Looks like I'll have to sell that pair to someone that doesn't want to modify their bridge parts! If I can get just one build out, that will be amazing. Don't need two pair. ;) )
How does your existing set compare?

At present, there are two different shield generator sets available on Shapeways.

The first one that was available was from Digital Sprue @ $15.01:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/T...rators-for-imperial-cruiser?optionId=61648843

I already have them, and they are very nice - and are a direct replacement for the kit parts.

Then there's the set from 308bits @ $17.50:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N...sda-1-2700-shield-generator?optionId=61922628

These require some carvin' on the kit: "
To install them you will have to mod the bridge base, because on the [Zvezda it's] wrong.
You will have to cut the hull, make a ring and a base and install my shield generators."

The specifics on exactly what this should look like when done I'm not certain just yet. The 308bits version does look a bit harder to paint due to the claimed screen accurate detail.

Just got my Zvesda kit! I was planning to just built/paint this kit but have decided to light it after following this thread - you guys are very inspiring!

I've never used fiber optics and was wondering - has anyone compiled a parts list of everything a beginner would need to get started?

Here's what I've gathered so far from some of the info Robiwon has shared:
- 160ft of .5mm fiber optic cable (32 strands?)
- Tamiya Handy Drill with a modified .54mm drill bit (super-glued into an aluminum tube holder)
- Locktite G02 glue (for securing fiber optic strands)
- 5mm LED lights

What am I missing? Does anyone have a quick guide or link that shows the basics of installing fiber optics?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back