Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Again, your all welcome!

Sply, I'm using 0.5mm fiber optic. To drill the holes I'm using my Tamiya Handy Drill as it spins a lot slower than my Dremel. The Tamiya drill does not spin fast enough to melt the plastic. Even going thru the double wall construction of the super structures and trenches it handled the task with ease. Not recommended for resin though. It just doesn't have the torque needed for drilling thru that stuff.

My little 1/2700 Tantive from Shapeways has shipped and should be here tomorrow. Should I light it too?

Not necessarily Scarecrow Joe. I don't want to divulge too much right now about my ideas. The ship is out for delivery today. Once I inspect and test my theory I'll post it up. Then I'll pretend like I knew all along that my idea would work and I'll look really smart.....wait, did I just post all that????

Let me guess: it's made of translucent plastic, so maybe... could it be sustained by a single fiber optic that transport light to the translucent plastic. After so, a black primer to cover all, the base color, some weathering and finally scratch the paint over the engines exhaust and cockpit windows. Maybe... ;-)

If the Tantive is printed in clear, and since it's pretty small, I assume one could drill a mounting hole at the base of the engine stack, install a nano chip LED and then prime everything but the engine exhaust nozzles and get some light coming out of them. That's what I'd try. I don't think running fiber is an option or trying to light individual thrusters.

It's also true that the Tantive received a direct hit to the main reactor, and after that, was "beamtractored" in the main hangar of the ISD. I don't think that at this point the engines could be on...

It's also true that the Tantive received a direct hit to the main reactor, and after that, was "beamtractored" in the main hangar of the ISD. I don't think that at this point the engines could be on...

An intermittent or flickering LED would then look awesome, like there is some major malfunction or something like that.

Guys, I just got my Tantive. How cute!
Within 5 minutes I broke the antenna off somehow. That's O.K. I was going to replace it with PE brass anyway. Be very carefull attaching the engine block to the main body, those 11 engines look very fragile. The fit is tight. I stood the engines up on end and slowly pressed the body down on top of it. Can this be lit? Yes, just as you guys described. I'll insert two pico LEDs, one facing the engines, and one facing toward the front. However, I will drill straight thru the main body, stopping just short of the main cabin. I'll insert a fiber optic in this hole as I doubt much light would make it thru the printed body.

Guys, I just got my Tantive. How cute!
Within 5 minutes I broke the antenna off somehow. That's O.K. I was going to replace it with PE brass anyway. Be very carefull attaching the engine block to the main body, those 11 engines look very fragile. The fit is tight. I stood the engines up on end and slowly pressed the body down on top of it. Can this be lit? Yes, just as you guys described. I'll insert two pico LEDs, one facing the engines, and one facing toward the front. However, I will drill straight thru the main body, stopping just short of the main cabin. I'll insert a fiber optic in this hole as I doubt much light would make it thru the printed body.

The little Tanative IV is pretty fragile.

I figure one one could probably run .25mm fiber into the ship and the LED mounted inside the Star Destroyer....presuming it would be mounted 'captive' inside the hangar bay.
Since the reactor is supposed to be shut down by that point, I doubt one would want to light the engines.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back