Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Great to see an update on your build. Was hoping we didn't hijack the thread too much with all the side talk about the shipping etc... it's looking good. Looks like a lot of fiber to run. Can't wait to see it lit up!! Keep it coming.

Bill

I highly doubt that the kit will ever reach our shores given revells past record here, so will just order one from evilbay or the uk when it comes out, cheaper price anyway!

Hey guys, don't worry about hijacking, with my health issues and my wife's, I don't get a lot of bench time like I used to. Keep the topic and conversations going in here, that's fine.

When running fiber you need a glue that will grab and hold the fiber without damaging it. Super glue can cause the fiber to become brittle at the point of contact. This could cause the fiber to break. Model glues do not work either as it does not grab and hold onto the fiber. This could lead to fibers falling back into the model. PVA type glues (Elmer's white glue for example) or other craft type "white" glues work well, but take a long time to dry. Epoxy, the 5 minute type, works great but can be messy and time consuming to mix and apply. Hot glue guns work, if it's not too hot. Too hot and you can melt the fibers with the glue. The glue I used on my Salzo Galactica and now this is a 30 minute set time silicone type glue made by Loctite. It cures over night and comes in a regular squeeze type bottle. It gives good working time, no mess, and holds the fibers tightly. The glue also remains slightly flexible after curing, unlike epoxy, resulting in little chance of fiber breakage due to a hard glue joint.
Experiment with different glues that are available in your area. Don't be afraid to check out craft stores, hardware stores, etc. for different types of adhesives. You can never have too many different types of glues on your bench!

What about glues like E6000? It is a craft type glue. Sticky, dries clear and remains flexible. I have never tried it on fiber optics, but wondered if anyone else has.

Hey guys, don't worry about hijacking, with my health issues and my wife's, I don't get a lot of bench time like I used to. Keep the topic and conversations going in here, that's fine.

When running fiber you need a glue that will grab and hold the fiber without damaging it. Super glue can cause the fiber to become brittle at the point of contact. This could cause the fiber to break. Model glues do not work either as it does not grab and hold onto the fiber. This could lead to fibers falling back into the model. PVA type glues (Elmer's white glue for example) or other craft type "white" glues work well, but take a long time to dry. Epoxy, the 5 minute type, works great but can be messy and time consuming to mix and apply. Hot glue guns work, if it's not too hot. Too hot and you can melt the fibers with the glue. The glue I used on my Salzo Galactica and now this is a 30 minute set time silicone type glue made by Loctite. It cures over night and comes in a regular squeeze type bottle. It gives good working time, no mess, and holds the fibers tightly. The glue also remains slightly flexible after curing, unlike epoxy, resulting in little chance of fiber breakage due to a hard glue joint.
Experiment with different glues that are available in your area. Don't be afraid to check out craft stores, hardware stores, etc. for different types of adhesives. You can never have too many different types of glues on your bench!

Thanks for the glue advice! There are quite a few Loctite brand glues. Which one specifically do you use?

Leave your fibers sticking out a bit after gluing. Paint your model and them trim them back with sprue cutters, cuticle scissors, or any type of small scissors you can find. If you don't have any, check the nail polish section at a store like Wal-Mart.

This is the glue I use. It is not super glue but a type of clear silicone glue.
10f3q02.jpg

This will also be my first time installing FO. So just to be clear, I should trim the extra fibers after painting, weathering etc?

Trimming the fibers is the last thing before finishing right?

Yes, leave the fibers sticking out. The reason being if you trim them before painting you will cover the fiber tips with paint and no light will shine thru. Leave the fibers poking out and paint. When done you can now cut the fiber flush with the model and have a clean clear fiber "face" to let the light shine out. The fibers should not hinder your painting process.

Here you can see fiber sticking out away from the model.
11hay5j.jpg

21txn9.jpg

Painting with the fibers still sticking out.
124hv75.jpg

10i9f77.jpg

30rlb9d.jpg

And then of course all the fibers trimmed back after the painting was done.
2uzdoht.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are all welcome. But don't take advice from just me, I'm no expert or master modeler. I'm very humbled by the builds I see here on the RPF by the true Masters. I'm just a pee-on.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back