Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 4, 2017, 7:35 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #26

So this is what I'm going to do, or at least plan to do. Because the trench sidewalls install on the lower hull you can drill and add fibers all day long with nary a worry. Like you said the problem comes when you try to put the upper hull on, you have that "inside" wall that will shear them off above the mating surfaces. My plan is to grind away the majority of the inside wall on the upper hull, leaving sections (like teeth) that will fit between the higher fibers that can then be glued to the lower hulls inside wall. I have used, back and forth, Tamiya Extra Thin cement and Model Master liquid cement (the one with the metal tube) and both work great on the Zvezda plastic. Because the MM glue is a wee bit thicker I can place a drop on the bottom of the upper hull teeth and lower the upper hull onto the lower hull before the glue evaporates. I don't plan on a million fibers in the trench so there should be plenty of mating surface left after removing material from the upper hull inner wall.

Did I explain that good? It sounds plausible in my head, LOL.
    Jan 4, 2017, 7:51 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #27

Sounds like a PITA. Lol!
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 4, 2017, 7:57 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #28

Nah, it'll be easy!!!
    Jan 4, 2017, 8:02 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #29

Seems like the most reasonable way to do it, Rob. You probably don't actually need many "teeth" since the glue is what will hold the top hull piece to the sidewalls. You really just need four -- two in the front, two in the back -- to align the upper hull straight. Otherwise, that entire inner wall can cut away.
    Jan 4, 2017, 8:39 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #30

It sounds like a good plan for installing the fibers.

For mine I'm thinking more along what Hunk a Junk said with the 'teeth' in the front and back for alignment but instead lighting it with LED tape. With most of the inner wall removed and a layer of black and then white paint inside there should be more than enough light to shine through the windows. So far this is the idea I have but not 100% sure yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours will progress with the fibers.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 4, 2017, 8:47 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #31

Hunk, your probably right. Over thinking I guess!

So, sorry for the lack of any pictorial updates. I left my phone at work last night which is what I use for pics. I did finish all the sub assemblies last night. I love the way this kit assembles. I built the main part of the spine, minus the back plate, built the bridge minus the face plate, and assembled the upper super structures leaving the roof off to facilitate fiber optic running.
    This morning I mocked all the subassemblies together. Lord o Lord, I had a two foot Star Destroyer sitting on my bench! No surprise I like this kit. I'll be scratch building the garbage chute on the back spine. The angle of the bridge though. I'm not so sure I'm going to change that now. I stared at it for an hour this morning over coffee trying to come up with the best way to angle it down. Add shims to the back of the spine? Mod the bridge to the way it mounts to the spine? I'm just not sure yet.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Jan 4, 2017, 8:57 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #32

Is there a reason you need to lay all those fibers instead of just drilling holes and letting light come out of them?
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 4, 2017, 8:59 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #33

See post #16 in this thread.

I'll tell you what though. I do have a few short strips of LED tape. After I drill holes and before I run fiber, I'll do a lighting test with some LED strip. We will see what it looks like. Who knows, I may surprise myself!
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Jan 4, 2017, 9:04 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #34

Ah, ok. Well, I think this problem might be solved by putting a piece of frosted material right behind the windows. Such as frosted acetate. Just an idea.
    Jan 4, 2017, 9:26 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #35

Frosted material behind the windows sounds like a good idea. It might be easier to just use a syringe to put some Micro Crystal Clear or Canopy glue in each of the holes, if LED tape is used to light it, after it's all painted.
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jan 4, 2017, 11:01 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #36

When i was doing my SSD I ran LED tape behind the side walls and drilled holes for fibers and had hundreds of little strands going through the resin. With the thinner plastic you may get away without the fibers and just use pva glue which dries clear as little lenses.

The only issue I had with LED tape was light leakage around the seams which I cured by using black mastic to glue the halves together. however with a plastic kit with tighter tolerances you maybe OK. I would test how much light comes though the top and bottom hull pieces once they are painted before committing to it though as i dont know how thin the plastic is on the kit
    From
    Australia
    Jan 4, 2017, 1:47 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #37

Robiwon said: View Post
    So this is what I'm going to do, or at least plan to do. Because the trench sidewalls install on the lower hull you can drill and add fibers all day long with nary a worry. Like you said the problem comes when you try to put the upper hull on, you have that "inside" wall that will shear them off above the mating surfaces. My plan is to grind away the majority of the inside wall on the upper hull, leaving sections (like teeth) that will fit between the higher fibers that can then be glued to the lower hulls inside wall. I have used, back and forth, Tamiya Extra Thin cement and Model Master liquid cement (the one with the metal tube) and both work great on the Zvezda plastic. Because the MM glue is a wee bit thicker I can place a drop on the bottom of the upper hull teeth and lower the upper hull onto the lower hull before the glue evaporates. I don't plan on a million fibers in the trench so there should be plenty of mating surface left after removing material from the upper hull inner wall.

Did I explain that good? It sounds plausible in my head, LOL.

Sounds great. I was thinking along those lines too.

Ben
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 5, 2017, 7:50 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #38

Something odd I noticed, the side plates for the bridge. These parts are replicated on sprues H & K, weird.
    Just waiting on fiber optic cable to arrive from the Fiber Optics store....
    Jan 5, 2017, 10:40 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #39

Something odd I noticed, the side plates for the bridge. These parts are replicated on sprues H & K, weird.
    Just waiting on fiber optic cable to arrive from the Fiber Optics store....

I'm enjoying the updates. Looking forward to seeing pics.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 5, 2017, 11:03 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #40

I'll have more pics tonight. At a bit of a stand still, waiting on fiber. I will be scratching the garbage dump and prepping the bells for lighting. Any good pics out there of the garbage dump, like from a cutaway? My Google-Fu seems to suck in this area.
    Jan 5, 2017, 12:48 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #41

This help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD Chute.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	695862
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 5, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #42

Yes, thanks! Doesn't look like much detail other than generic shapes.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 5, 2017, 1:35 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #43

I will be scratching the garbage dump and prepping the bells for lighting. Any good pics out there of the garbage dump, like from a cutaway? My Google-Fu seems to suck in this area.
    I may have some from the old MoM tour
    Jan 5, 2017, 1:45 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #44

Don't know who took it, but this is the best one I have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1210055.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	695867

They have a good collection of pics here:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=19630
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 5, 2017, 1:59 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #45

Thanks PH and Edge. I keep forgetting about MM!
    Looks pretty simple. I may start that tonight.

Interesting the one that INVAR posted above has an orange ceiling while the one Edge posted is all grey.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 5, 2017, 5:25 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #46

Thanks PH and Edge. I keep forgetting about MM!
    Looks pretty simple. I may start that tonight.

Interesting the one that INVAR posted above has an orange ceiling while the one Edge posted is all grey.

Can you squeeze in a mini Slave1...!?
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 5, 2017, 5:28 PM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #47

Lol, I was thinking of scratching one....
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 6, 2017, 10:00 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #48

Just ordered the 1/2700 Tantive IV for this. Likely will display it outside of the ship itself.
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/BU...aign=affiliate

Waiting for fiber optics.....
    Jan 6, 2017, 11:00 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #49

While you're waiting, could you post some glamour pics of the rough assembly? You don't have to include shots of you crying if you don't want.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jan 6, 2017, 11:13 AM - Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP #50

Sure. I thought I uploaded two that had the super structure and bridge on but they must not have gone thru. I will post a few when I get home from work. Started on the garbage chute and engine lighting last night.