Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, so I have been studying alot of builds from the v2 release last year. Lots of great info and detail in those posts.

This is of course a uni body so it looks as if a little more work will have to be done to give the appearance of a multi piece saber design

How many set screws hold the parts together once assembled. I would like to duplicate those set screws even though they are not nessesarry

What are the dimensions of the mystery chunk. Also is it true these can be found at places like ace hardware?

One of my bigger questions regards the tape. I have read tape was used under the emitter once they stopped having the emitter spin

Forgive my spelling and or wording if I'm wrong. Is it gaffer tape. (Or another name)?

Is gaffer tape the same as duct tape? How much was used. I have read a bunch of posts on these but missed out on the placement of the tape. If it has been used, I haven't seen it. I know there has been alot of conversation on this.

I do have all my parts needed to build this work of art.

Bought the clamp from roman, the d ring and lever from roy and the card from slothfurnace. I just was added to the list for trooperbay awsome stencils as well. Once I have the dimensions on the mystery chunk I will get that too. So I believe I have all that's needed minus the detail on the set screws.

I know we are a couple of weeks out but I am one for getting my ducks in a row in advance. Also this thread can be used as the group build once we begin our assembly

Thanks for all input and advise in advance.
Kevin

Last edited:
Re: Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation questions.

The mystery chunk is 1/4" - 20 x 1/2" and yes ACE or another hardware store would be your best bet to find them

Also, FYI, trooper Trent has re opened his stencils run. BE SURE TO GET ON THE LIST!

- - - Updated - - -

The mystery chunk is 1/4" - 20 x 1/2" and yes ACE or another hardware store would be your best bet to find them
thank you

kevin, PM me i have a extra mystery chunk. as for the thread holes let me see if i can find my cloth measuring tape... give me 5 minutes

Ok kevin here is the measurement I came up with. It looks like the unibody saber is going to come with the hole for the cone knob.
Which makes this easier, I removed the cone knob and placed this measure tape on the side of the hole see pictures below
8829bed3c536af4a2f0b595d515048d7.jpg
e88f70b8c6c37d3395db95c8f916cbfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as for the graffers tape, its just the tape the film studios used to hold all the wiring down on set. they needed the emitter to stop spinning when swinging it around on set so they wrapped the black tape around it.

though it needs graffers tape to be screen accurate i never put it on mine. seeing it on screen you can never tell its tape, but seeing it in person you can tell right away... i wouldnt want a guest over my house thinking the saber was broken and i used tape to hold it together..

this is just a liberty i have taken, my saber is tape less :eek

Ok kevin here is the measurement I came up with. It looks like the unibody saber is going to come with the hole for the cone knob.
Which makes this easier, I removed the cone knob and placed this measure tape on the side of the hole see pictures belowhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/8829bed3c536af4a2f0b595d515048d7.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/e88f70b8c6c37d3395db95c8f916cbfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect, thankyou. Are there any other areas that have set screw holes in the body, or is that it.

Perfect, thankyou. Are there any other areas that have set screw holes in the body, or is that it.

thats it sir :thumbsup dont forget the bigger set screw hole is for the cone knob, which is in starkillers pictures. so you wont have to drill that one

as for the graffers tape, its just the tape the film studios used to hold all the wiring down on set. they needed the emitter to stop spinning when swinging it around on set so they wrapped the black tape around it.

though it needs graffers tape to be screen accurate i never put it on mine. seeing it on screen you can never tell its tape, but seeing it in person you can tell right away... i wouldnt want a guest over my house thinking the saber was broken and i used tape to hold it together..

this is just a liberty i have taken, my saber is tape less :eek

I think I want to use the tape but I'm still searching for photo references

Also, how deep is the rod coming through the top of the emiiter.?

Last edited:

Ace is the place that sells me star wars stuff- "not really,-only the screws" (the ace jingle) lol

I found my chunk at ace. Luckily they sell them loose and I didn't have to buy a box of 20. 50 cents for the correct 1/4 20x 1/2

The only thing was the correct size was only available in an oil finish so I bought that 1/2 inch size as well as the correct finish in 1 1/2. I can cut it down to half inch, no big deal because I have screw cutters. I bought the oil one just to see how it would look if I clean it up.
IMG_2921.JPG

This thread is a group thread. Please offer all input and ideas as well as thoughts.
I don't know how many of these are being made but we need atleast 30 orders for Trent to do his stencil run

these are links to parts needed to complete your build

stencils
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=253435

clamp
http://romanprops.com/product/clamp/

lever
http://wannawanga.com/products/luke-rotj-v2-clamp-lever/

d ring
http://wannawanga.com/products/d-ring-with-clip/

card
http://www.slothfurnace.com/

Last edited:
im telling you kevin, you ace is awesome. mine freak'n sucks. i just came from there friday grabbing stainless bolts for R2... of course they didnt have them... then i moved to steel and sure enough not enough in the correct size....

your lucky

as for the mystery chunk the smaller one looks fine, i beat the hell out of mine. i even filed it down so its like.... how can i explain this. i filed the sides down alittle so they are on a slight angle.

i personally believe they hammered a piece of square stock in the hole. to me, the mystery chunk looks like it was hammered, so i filed the sides to kinda match the distortion

IMG_7121.jpg

here is a great example of the location from PoopaPapaPalps
To be specific, the mystery chunk sits above the third pommel cube to the right of the D-ring; the middle of the chunk roughly above the upper-left corner of the base of the cube.

here is a great picture from MCM that i used for the location of mine

attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
im telling you kevin, you ace is awesome. mine freak'n sucks. i just came from there friday grabbing stainless bolts for R2... of course they didnt have them... then i moved to steel and sure enough not enough in the correct size....

your lucky

as for the mystery chunk the smaller one looks fine, i beat the hell out of mine. i even filed it down so its like.... how can i explain this. i filed the sides down alittle so they are on a slight angle.

i personally believe they hammered a piece of square stock in the hole. to me, the mystery chunk looks like it was hammered, so i filed the sides to kinda match the distortion

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/V2 saber/IMG_7121.jpg

It might just be that I live in a tourist state. A ton of what we call snow birds as well. (Seasonal residents ) most stores around here try to accommodate the locals.

Awsome, great reference photos! Thank you Danny. This will be of great help for those of us taking on this build

Looks like the tape covers the entire stem under the emitter.

yes you can see the dried up nasty tape real good in this photo

1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here is the original video of Brandon Alinger, he reveals it in the video below and mentions a few little tidbits about its history

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a must watch:popcorn. Thanks for sharing it.

I have to put the tape on it now for sure! Already have black duct tape and it's been sitting for a while. Should work perfectly

your lucky

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/V2 saber/IMG_7121.jpg

By doing that you're much closer to how the real chunk is.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back