Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread

Looks great!! Was this a second round of dishwashing, or a second round of Liquid Plumber? I love the look!
Dishwasher was my first attempt, only dulled it. Then I soaked it in liquid plumber until it was dark. Then I washed it and soaked it again until it was even and darker. Once that was complete I put it back in the dishwasher again.

So 1 soak of liquid plumber and 2 dishwasher cyles

- - - Updated - - -

what a difference second time around
Thanks, it's now outside with a coat of paint on it.

Getting closer:cool

First of all, thank you anikan Starkiller for this run and thanks to roy, roman,slothfurnace, and trent for parts. Also a thank you to halliwax and Soulinertia. Can't forget the rest of the group that chimed in along the way.:thumbsup

Here it is. I have been waiting to dig into this thing so that's the reason why I finished it in the time I did. I just kept going.

IMG_3054.JPGIMG_3053.JPGIMG_3052.JPGIMG_3045.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3050.JPGIMG_3051.JPGIMG_3046.JPGIMG_3049.JPGIMG_3047.JPG

First of all, thank you anikan Starkiller for this run and thanks to roy, roman,slothfurnace, and trent for parts. Also a thank you to halliwax and Soulinertia. Can't forget the rest of the group that chimed in along the way.:thumbsup

Here it is. I have been waiting to dig into this thing so that's the reason why I finished it in the time I did. I just kept going.

View attachment 706632View attachment 706633View attachment 706634View attachment 706635View attachment 706636View attachment 706637View attachment 706638View attachment 706639View attachment 706640View attachment 706641

i cant take any credit for this, im just a researcher. the true mastermind behind the V2 is scottjua in my mind. he's the one with the hands on experience and the willingness to share what he's seen. we all owe him for lettings us in on all the details.

the V2 came out great. i love this new dishwasher trick!

- - - Updated - - -

i have yet to use the gaffers tape on the neck. you matched it perfectly, i was afraid it wouldnt show the seam in the middle of the neck. but it looks great! i may just put the tape on mind

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my tape job was overlapped. Just keep in mind, you will need to use a flat object like a screw driver or putty knife to push the tape into the gap. Do this each time you overlap the tape or you won't see the gap. I also drybrushed a little dirt color in mine to show depth

i cant take any credit for this, im just a researcher. the true mastermind behind the V2 is @scottjua in my mind. he's the one with the hands on experience and the willingness to share what he's seen. we all owe him for lettings us in

Here here, thank you scottjua (y)cheers

And I'm still thanking you mr. Halliwax so there:p

How are people putting on their Gaff tape? End-to-end or overlapping a little bit?

I do it overlapping. From the photos at SWCA, just from the way it's unfurling, I can only guess how it may have been applied. The OCD question is just how long is the strip of tape?

....And my OCD answer to that question is roughly 3-4 inches thereabouts (closer to 3, I think). From photos of when it was "freshly" applied to the hilt, it looks to wrap tightly around the neck, so much so that it's impressed the ridge underneath into the tape. So I don't think it overlaps more than once. Also, from the way it's unfurling, it looks to unfurl from left to right. So that means if the hilt is laying down, emitter facing away from you, it would wrap counter-clockwise from the neck. I have mine wrapped with the ends facing towards the clamp because, in the photo of Luke catching it on the Sail Barge, I can't see the tape ends, either on top or under itself, so, it would stand to reason to me, along with the photos at SWCA, that the tape ends would face the "front" of the hilt, with the clamp and clampcard.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, my tape job was overlapped. Just keep in mind, you will need to use a flat object like a screw driver or putty knife to push the tape into the gap...

I just use my fingernail.

I do it overlapping. From the photos at SWCA, just from the way it's unfurling, it's clear (to me, anyway) how it was applied. The OCD question is just how long is the strip of tape?

....And my OCD answer to that question is roughly 3-4 inches thereabouts. From photos of when it was "freshly" applied to the hilt, it looks to wrap tightly around the neck, so much so that it's impressed the ridge underneath into the tape. So I don't think it overlaps more than once. Also, from the way it's unfurling, it looks to unfurl from left to right. So that means if the hilt is laying down, emitter facing away from you, it would wrap counter-clockwise from the neck. I have mine wrapped with the ends facing towards the clamp because, in the photo of Luke catching it on the Sail Barge, I can't see the tape ends, either on top or under itself, so, it would stand to reason to me, along with the photos at SWCA, that the tape ends would face the "front" of the hilt, with the clamp and clampcard.

- - - Updated - - -

I just use my fingernail.

i agree 100% with you on this. i have looked at this picture the longest out of all the reference. i was trying to come up with how much tape was used.
lukeje10.jpg

still cant see the where the tape ends or starts so i figured it was on the opposite side we see here. i would have to agree with you on the 2-3" in length because you dont want it too thick, because we want to still see the groove in the neck.

i always believe this was electrical tape until i was proven wrong by scott. but kevins gaffers tape pulled of this same look, so im glad it can be done!

as for the clockwise or counter clockwise, that sir is genius!! very nice observation!!

Warning... super stupid question to follow.

Do we know for sure it is tape? Has Brandon or anyone that has examined it said it was specifically tape?

I'm looking at some not really great screen grabs from the recent reunion between the V2 and mark, and I've got to say it looks a bit like a piece of shrink wrap tubing. That would explain the thickness, lack of a tape edge (at least I haven't seen one) the sort of Satin shine... crazy, and likely wrong I know. Just throwing it out there.

It is widely presumed to be some kind of tape so to stop the emitter from spinning

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back