Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread

thats a good question, i got some tape wider then the neck and plan on just cutting it the width of the neck and warping it... how many wraps is my question

you can still see the groove of the neck with the graffers tape tightly wrapped around it on the V2 catch scene
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/11/79/67/37/lukeje10.jpg

Agreed, I was wondering that myself. It almost looks like one piece but I don't think you can get that tight fit showing the grooves unless you go with multiple wraps in a smaller thickness. I use ALOT of electrical tape so I can pick out different details under the tape as long as it's tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it may serve us well to use a flat edge to cram the tape into the grooves during the tape job

Getting closer! Start keeping an eye out for updates. Not sure if email notification or thread updates for payment info but I do remember Dan saying to check the spam folders the last time he sent email notifications out. I believe mine ended up in my spam folder as well. I think the run isn't very large and there has been more interest shown after the fact.

Has anyone purchased gaffers tape yet? It's kind of expensive and each saber will only require a couple of wraps of tape. I have no use for it after the fact and I'm pretty sure we will all be in the same boat. Gaffer's tape is mainly used for electronics and taping down cords to the floor. It serves no structural purpose or uses like good old fashion duct tape. Too expensive to just have is where I'm going ..

So again, if someone has already purchased this tape, would you be willing to sell pieces to others. I also think we can use normal electrical tape underneath to build it up and cover it with a wrap or two of gaffers.

Also, Trents stencils are now shipping so don't forget to complete your orders . Others that missed out are now looking to get a set.

So, the sabers arrived. But there are a couple small things that need to be corrected. I plan to take the sabers to my shop this week and complete the work.

The step down after the pommel cubes, before the booster section, was not as deep as it needed to be, so the pommel recesses left a small mark. I need to put these on a lathe and skim that area, taking off a few thousands of an inch to correct the dimensions. I'm gonna work on that Monday night.
V2 unibody_Picture_6.JPG
Dan

Last edited:
So, the sabers arrived. But there are a couple small things that need to be corrected. I plan to take the sabers to my shop this week and complete the work.

The step down after the pommel cubes, before the booster section, was not as deep as it needed to be, so the pommel recesses left a small mark. I need to put these on a lathe and skim that area, taking off a few thousands of an inch to correct the dimensions. I'm gonna work on that Monday night.
View attachment 702113
Dan

still looks damn sexy to me

Has anyone purchased gaffers tape yet? It's kind of expensive and each saber will only require a couple of wraps of tape. I have no use for it after the fact and I'm pretty sure we will all be in the same boat. Gaffer's tape is mainly used for electronics and taping down cords to the floor. It serves no structural purpose or uses like good old fashion duct tape. Too expensive to just have is where I'm going ..

So again, if someone has already purchased this tape, would you be willing to sell pieces to others. I also think we can use normal electrical tape underneath to build it up and cover it with a wrap or two of gaffers.
We use it at work, so I "borrowed" an almost used up roll. Still has enough on it to do multiple sabers. Problem is I'm not sure how I could remove an ship just a small section. Maybe transfer it to a piece of saran wrap ? I don't know if that would screw up the adhesive on it. PM me with your info and we can try it. :confused
Don mac.

We use it at work, so I "borrowed" an almost used up roll. Still has enough on it to do multiple sabers. Problem is I'm not sure how I could remove an ship just a small section. Maybe transfer it to a piece of saran wrap ? I don't know if that would screw up the adhesive on it. PM me with your info and we can try it. :confused
Don mac.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I was thinking about foil tapes that have a backing on them . Maybe wax paper would do the trick

So here are all the parts laid out and ready to go. All these materials besides the set screws and mystery chunk (bought at ace hardware ) are from the links provided on the first page of this thread

IMG_2997.JPGIMG_2999.JPG
Trent only has a few stencils left, so be sure to get them before they are gone.

I've been spending the last couple weeks trying out different paint colors and methods for the windvane section after seeing all of the new photos and videos from the pop culture quest video. I definitely see brown, not so much copper or metallic color, but certainly not just black.

However, after years of looking at stills and reference photos of the V2 I still want to see black. So I set about trying to find a paint that would give me a dark black look from a distance, but upon closer inspection and good lighting would certainly show the windvane to be brownish.

I started out with aged bronze and oil rubbed bronze spray paints but when compared to satin black they appeared kind of gray. I then moved on to espresso and dark walnut spray cans, but those turned out too brown.

Lastly, I tried out Testors model paint brand color Rubber. I shot it through my $30 badger airbrush and really liked the color but thought it could still be a bit darker. I added in about a half bottle of Tamiya Nato black and wound up with a nice brown color that could easily pass for black in some light, but has a rich brown color under different lighting.

It could probably be a bit lighter and more brown but I feel like I got the balance I was looking for.

I snapped a couple pictures of my 1st run V2 in satin black next to my 2nd run V2 with this paint mixture. The pictures are taken with a 4+ year old phone so they are not the best, but I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Dan

Attachments

• 20170131_234213.jpeg
    20170131_234213.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
  • 20170131_234245.jpeg
    20170131_234245.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 127
  • 20170131_234251.jpeg
    20170131_234251.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 20170131_234335.jpeg
    20170131_234335.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 20170131_234340.jpeg
    20170131_234340.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 148
I've been spending the last couple weeks trying out different paint colors and methods for the windvane section after seeing all of the new photos and videos from the pop culture quest video. I definitely see brown, not so much copper or metallic color, but certainly not just black.

However, after years of looking at stills and reference photos of the V2 I still want to see black. So I set about trying to find a paint that would give me a dark black look from a distance, but upon closer inspection and good lighting would certainly show the windvane to be brownish.

I started out with aged bronze and oil rubbed bronze spray paints but when compared to satin black they appeared kind of gray. I then moved on to espresso and dark walnut spray cans, but those turned out too brown.

Lastly, I tried out Testors model paint brand color Rubber. I shot it through my $30 badger airbrush and really liked the color but thought it could still be a bit darker. I added in about a half bottle of Tamiya Nato black and wound up with a nice brown color that could easily pass for black in some light, but has a rich brown color under different lighting.

It could probably be a bit lighter and more brown but I feel like I got the balance I was looking for.

I snapped a couple pictures of my 1st run V2 in satin black next to my 2nd run V2 with this paint mixture. The pictures are taken with a 4+ year old phone so they are not the best, but I would appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Dan

Very nice job! Nice name too! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Payment calls have gone out! If you have not received an email from Dan and you were on the list, send him an email or pm.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back