Imperial Shuttle

JediMichael

Master Member
I had been wanting one for a long while now. Didn't want a snap together either. So I found this old one on ebay where a guy was selling it for 40 and he lived close by, so was able to get past shipping.
Before I do too much, I want to know what is a good gray to use?
I do have a few pics I just haven't uploaded yet.

If anyone saw my star destroyer thread, you also saw that in 7th grade, I had my a shuttle based on just a few pictures I had back then. I never really finished it, and only just quickly sprayed it gray with primer. Heres how it turned out. Not too bad considering how long ago I made it.

P1012145.jpg

P1012146.jpg

But I wanted something better, and heres what I got. The box says 1983, so wondering if its from then. Not sure.

box.jpg

pieces.jpg

So far I took the window, that was a dark clear, sanded it down a bit and have sprayed primer on it. Now I need gloss black.

I ran into this problem where there was a gap here in the nose part.

P1012148.jpg

So I took some styrene and fixed it up a little.

P1012150.jpg

Once painted, it should look much better.

P1012151.jpg

Heres what I have so far.

P1012152.jpg

I remember changing the angle of the cockpit and slightly lenghtening or shortening(don't remember) the neck on mine to make it a little more accurate to the studio model.

I remember changing the angle of the cockpit and slightly lenghtening or shortening(don't remember) the neck on mine to make it a little more accurate to the studio model.
I noticed that the cockpit has the most issues with this kit. I'll fix a few things, but not gonna go crazy on it.

Did you use an air brush for the weathering? I don't have anything like that.

On this model I didn't use no airbrush, I first sprayed first with Tamiya white primer then use some pastels and Tamiya weathering kit for the dirt/streaks then sealed with Tamiya dull coat, the weathering process is the most difficult part to get it realistic looking.

as GF mentions, it is more white than grey.

Also using pastels is a great alternative to airbrush for streaking and fading

I use them extensively along with oil washes and filters

Also, there are a couple of 3D printed upgrades you might like

The engine inserts look great. I am hoping to pick some of these up for my build
http://www.shapeways.com/product/JABR43TSN/amt-shuttle-engine-inserts?optionId=40854715

The cockpit is expensive, but it sure does capture the look of the studio model
http://www.shapeways.com/product/LF6Y22TW6/imperial-shuttle-cockpit?optionId=58498902

I'm on the fence simply because it is so much more than the kit itself, but then again, if I figured out how many hours and money for materials it would cost me to scratch it, it doesn't seem so bad
Also I am torn between having the option to display it with the ramp down which that does not have the ability to do

That cockpit is nice, but way more than I have now. I'll just have to sick with the one it comes with.
Plus, I glued it together already. I need to upload the pics, just to tired right now.

This is one of the few models I like that are not Fine Molds or Bandai (and not including garage kits). There is an issue with the cockpit, but a perfect example for me of where, if that's how the real ship (studio model) looked, I'd be as happy or more happy. I've built 4 and I didn't change any cockpit angle issues, even after hearing of them. If I built another one, I might rescribe panel lines and light it up, but that's about it.

I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure that the wing mechanism, or the fuselage, has to be modified for the wings to be displayed properly when unfolded.

TazMan2000

I think the model, and a lot of models made has the cockpit facing down too much. The studio model is just so perfect looking. Why can't model companys ever get it right.

actually Kenner got the look of the studio model right in regards to the nose angle. I believe it is even close if not exactly studio scale as well.

Problem is finding one now that is less than a few hundred dollars

Also Fantasy Flight Games go the look of the studio model as well with their X-wing game mini.

But sadly the Revell version has the same shape and angles as the AMT/MPC/ERTL one. Like the AMT/MPC/ERTL one they went with the full size set blueprints

I forgot about the Kenner one. I used to have one I got from Target like 10 years ago for 60. But it was just so big and felt more like a toy than a nice detailed model...so I ended up selling it. Although no I think I should have just modified it to look better. Oh well, too late now. Still don't have the room for it anyways.

Finally got a little more done. I've also been trying to find that perfect color of paint. I know its white, but from the pictures, it seems like a dark dirty white, but hard to tell if its just the picture lighting of what. Then theres the way it looks in the movie, which of course is different with the lighting they do plus color correction. I kind of want to do a mix of both, being use to the movie look, but also want the studio model look. So if I can find a very light light gray, dirty type white.
I did buy a paint from the hobby store which I thought looked good, but once I got home, realized that it had too much tan in it.
Upon looking at the SS model some more, it looks like it has some yellowish white going on there. But not sure if its just because its an old model now and the yellow is not suppose to be there.
Tamiya has this color, TS-7 Racing White, which might be right, but want to see what anyone else thinks. Also hard to tell if that color is right seeing it only on the monitor here.

So what I have now.

P1012153.jpg

The main fin had these weird holes in them, so had to fix it.

P1012155.jpg

P1012156.jpg

P1012157.jpg

And now its not too bad. If the light hits it just right, you can still see the square a little bit, but not to bad.

P1012159.jpg

I was at Joanns a bit ago and found a color that looked pretty good. A flat white that has a very slight yellowish look to it, so I think that will work out. The weathering will have to give it a bit darker tone.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back