Imperial Star Destroyer hull color?

I went to Star Wars Identities too, I noticed the same thing. All the recesses, especially between hull plates are very bright. The star destroyer looks very clean, I spent a looong time looking at the models and did not notice washes really. Somebody in a different thread (some time ago) mentioned you have to take in account that these models were made to be filmed under very bright lights, so they tend to appear lighter in the movies. Most of the detail shows up because they create shadows. The detail on all models is very crisp, and therefore shows up on film well.

You have to keep in mind too that these ships were filmed in multiple passes, so the color on the model is not nescesarily the colr the ended up on film. So you have to make a choice: do you want it to look as the model does in reality, or do you want it to look like it does in the movie. Two different things...

That makes sense. They would have lit from a single direction while shooting to create natural shadows. I think that a lot of modelers compensate for the fact that they are displaying in a well lit room by using washes in the recesses to create a shadow like look. That is why they display the ships on exhibit the way they do, to create those shadows to show the detail they way you see it in the movies. Obviously they don't use lights that are as bright because they are damaging and expensive to keep on.

I went to Star Wars Identities too, I noticed the same thing. All the recesses, especially between hull plates are very bright. The star destroyer looks very clean, I spent a looong time looking at the models and did not notice washes really. Somebody in a different thread (some time ago) mentioned you have to take in account that these models were made to be filmed under very bright lights, so they tend to appear lighter in the movies. Most of the detail shows up because they create shadows. The detail on all models is very crisp, and therefore shows up on film well.

You have to keep in mind too that these ships were filmed in multiple passes, so the color on the model is not nescesarily the colr the ended up on film. So you have to make a choice: do you want it to look as the model does in reality, or do you want it to look like it does in the movie. Two different things...

Newbie here!

CessnaDriver your SD looks beautiful!

I'm going to use your photos for inspiration for the Zevezda SD I'm about to start. I tried searching for that light gray FS96495 but no luck. Does it go by another name?
Also, after spraying a dark under coat and then painting over it with the light gray, did you have to do something to bring out the panel lines like yours shows?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input!

CessnaDriver - Your SD is beautiful! I've used Testors FS36495 on other projects and found that it has a very slightly blue look. It's a cool gray. I might go with something slightly warmer. Although the 'cool' gray does look nice on a SD. The SW studio models were always lit more on the cool side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie here!

CessnaDriver your SD looks beautiful!

I'm going to use your photos for inspiration for the Zevezda SD I'm about to start. I tried searching for that light gray FS96495 but no luck. Does it go by another name?
Also, after spraying a dark under coat and then painting over it with the light gray, did you have to do something to bring out the panel lines like yours shows?

Thanks!

The Anigrand kit panel lines were so nice, simply the dark undercoat made them stand out.
And yes I had the paint number slightly wrong as corrected in above posts.

Here's the rest of the pics. http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=22002

Hats off to anyone that lights these things, man it was a handful being a resin kit and needed some massaging.
I take some solace that in ANH there were no window lights.

The Anigrand kit panel lines were so nice, simply the dark undercoat made them stand out.
And yes I had the paint number slightly wrong as corrected in above posts.

Here's the rest of the pics. http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=22002

Hats off to anyone that lights these things, man it was a handful being a resin kit and needed some massaging.
I take some solace that in ANH there were no window lights.

Awesome job! I like the light gray color you used. I have some Testors FS36495 and it's a very light gray, almost white color.

I plan on building Tarkin's ISD from Rogue One - the initial "out of the shadows" reveal looks like the slightest-off of off-whites.

The times I've seen the SD up close during tours, one of the things I noticed is that the light gray squares and rectangles that are painted all over the hull don't necessarily correspond to either the real inscribed panel lines or the penciled in panel lines. I know my first impulse as a modeler is to use the kit panel lines as a guide and basically color them in, but on the real deal they were more random and overlapped the lines. Something to think about.

The times I've seen the SD up close during tours, one of the things I noticed is that the light gray squares and rectangles that are painted all over the hull don't necessarily correspond to either the real inscribed panel lines or the penciled in panel lines. I know my first impulse as a modeler is to use the kit panel lines as a guide and basically color them in, but on the real deal they were more random and overlapped the lines. Something to think about.

I looked at pictures of the Avenger studio model I found online and see how some of the light gray squares/rectangles don't correspond to the panel lines. I'm still considering using the Zvezda kit's panels lines as a guide and coloring some in but I might change that thinking.

BTW, did the SD look more white or light gray when you saw it close up?

I looked at pictures of the Avenger studio model I found online and see how some of the light gray squares/rectangles don't correspond to the panel lines. I'm still considering using the Zvezda kit's panels lines as a guide and coloring some in but I might change that thinking.

BTW, did the SD look more white or light gray when you saw it close up?

The base color looked very white to me, but I could see paint overspray in both black and gray (millions of tiny dots all over the hull's surface). It looked to me like they painted the entire thing white or near white, airbrushed the gray squares and rectangles using a template in random areas, made panel lines with mechanical pencil, and then knocked the whole thing down with the two-tone overspray. So the overall look was white, but the overspray dulled the glare (which I'm sure helped with the model under studio lights). I'm sure some future Gary Kerr will examine the model under a microscope and prove me wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

The base color looked very white to me, but I could see paint overspray in both black and gray (millions of tiny dots all over the hull's surface). It looked to me like they painted the entire thing white or near white, airbrushed the gray squares and rectangles using a template in random areas, made panel lines with mechanical pencil, and then knocked the whole thing down with the two-tone overspray. So the overall look was white, but the overspray dulled the glare (which I'm sure helped with the model under studio lights). I'm sure some future Gary Kerr will examine the model under a microscope and prove me wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

Thanks! For the Zvezda's smaller size(smaller than the 8 foot studio model) a slight off white should mostly simulate the look of the studio model with the black and gray overspray.

I agree. Off-white or near white should work fine. A little overspray wouldn't hurt to blend everything together, but I'd go very light -- avoid large drops or pure blacks. The gray squares were fairly faint, as I recall, and the overall look seemed very one-color. In other words, it really looked like they just spray painted the dang thing white until you got up close to see some of the faint variation.

heres mine painted using krylon flat white primer straight out of a can, I then added many shades of grey panelling using a airbrush then misted the whole model using flat white using a airbrush to tone down all the grey panelling, you will notice that the third photo the panelling show a bit more since it was taken before I decided to further tone down the panellings.

Copy of SD 38.jpgCopy of SD 41.jpgCopy of SD 34.jpgCopy of SD 40.jpg

Last edited:
GF, to me that looks very close to what the studio model looks like, though I would say the original is overall whiter. At least in my memory -- which, according to my wife, isn't what it used to be. ;-)

heres mine painted using krylon flat white primer straight out of a can, I then added many shades of grey panelling using a airbrush then misted the whole model using flat white using a airbrush to tone down all the grey panelling, you will notice that the third photo the panelling show a bit more since it was taken before I decided to further tone down the panellings.

View attachment 705811View attachment 705812View attachment 705813View attachment 705810

It looks like the studio model. Very well done!

GF, to me that looks very close to what the studio model looks like, though I would say the original is overall whiter. At least in my memory -- which, according to my wife, isn't what it used to be. ;-)

I used straight flat white primer, again photo exposure can come into play, seeing a model in person and in photos colors will vary a bit.

GFollano

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like the studio model. Very well done!

Thank you for the nice words!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back