Imperial Star Destroyer hull color?

crowe t

With all this talk of the Zvezda Star Destroyer, does anyone know what color gray was used on the hull of the studio models?

Is there a hobby paint equivalent?

The first model was pretty much white, maybe a hint of gray. I think the 2nd one was more gray, or it seems, but still very very light gray.

This opens a can of worms. It may also depend on what film and model or digital asset you are referring to.

There's really is no one color. The studio models had a huge range of different greys and off-greys painted in somewhat of what is called an Aztec pattern. Close up shots you may find of the filming models online or in books reveal this. I've seen the origional models in person and they are beautiful and mesmerizing! Hope they get preserved for future generations.

Or as a casual modeler, you might want an average color that is close. Off-white (just a hint of grey) isn't a bad starting point. Add in some light weathering, shadow and lighting and you might have a great look.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I always thought that Insignia White mixed with white was a good match for the ANH model, with some panelling and details picked out in slightly darker/warmer/cooler tones for contrast, but VERY subtly. You might want to look at painting it dark grey first and then building the white up on top of that so that you get some subtle shading in the recesses (like the original).

I used Dupilcolor primer on my recently finished Revell SD. I masked off various panels and then shot with Dupilcolor Universal White and removed the masks. The whole ship was then sprayed again with the white until the grey panels almost disappeared.

I've seen both the ANH and the ESB SD's in person. The 3 footer from ANH was damn close to white. The ESB was a very light gray - but it could have been white that has been "washed" to a more gray level. there are pictures of modelers literally painting a wash on the thing with a giant house painting brush... In my opinion, If you go with a very light gray you'll be good... with some slightly darker accent panels...

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what color they were but I think I may paint mine with the same tamiya insignia white as the base coat of the millennium falcon and since it's weathered much less should be a nice light grey. Then use various shades of grey and possibly light beige mixed to accent panels here and there. May not be accurate but hope to give the right feel.

Bill

I used model masters light gray FS96495
and darkened it slightly for paneling on my Anigrand.
Dark undercoat to start.

Not sure whose pic this is, so apologies in advance. This shows the 8 footer being finished by a headless modeler lol Hope it helps:)

390762621_zpslg1doexq.jpg

Robert.

I saw the 8 footer at Star Wars Identities just a couple weeks ago. Looked white/off-white to me and no visible sign of weathering or washes either. That's the striking thing i found about all the models i saw there, no evidence of washes, even on dirty things like the 32" Falcon or X-Wing, if anything the recesses appeared brighter and cleaner than the exposed areas, really apparent on the MF.

Last edited:
100% white, saw the ESB in person and it was white and that's how I painted my 38" randy cooper.

GFollano

I saw it in person also, and not white!

Not saying your wrong however. We all see things differently under different lighting.

Its definitely not a light grey tone, more of a white to off white color with very light grey panelings all over, very clear in my head since I was doing a lot of research when I painted mine.

GFollano

20161209_153506.jpg20161209_153535_001.jpg

Granted the lighting at Identities is pretty terrible, but you can see in comparison to Vader's TIE Advanced blue/grey. On the first picture you can just about see the panelling and occasional darker patches, but it's very subtle.

The original studio model makers said both ANH and ESB star destroyers are white in some Star Wars doc. I went with black primer and x-amount of layers with Vallejo's Offwhite on Revell's ISD and been happy with that.

I realize that a photo is not seeing it in person, but the photo above makes me comfortable painting mine with insignia white. And I notice a lot more of the panel variations than I realized, albeit very subtle apparently.

Bill

390762621_zpslg1doexq.jpg

The sign on the door is white and to my eye they are ever so light grey of some kind, perhaps because of a dark undercoat if they indeed used white.

Here is what light gray FS96495 looks like my anigrand build with a very dark grey undercoat. I thought it pretty close. but everyone's eye is different not to mention monitors.
It's tough. Just have to go with what looks right to you. Lighting is a big deal too.

IMG_7301.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back