Negan from The Walking Dead (ID'ing parts/making the jacket - pic heavy))

robo3687

Sr Member
So at some point this year I was wanting to put together Negan's costume.

biqMTfs.jpg

Ideally I'd like to find the actual pieces, but after ID'ing the boots, I think that might be going to be a bit cost prohibitive...

Negan's boots are Frye Stone Engineer Boots (Style #88028)

quCjAbT.png
88028_black_l.jpg

The panels match, the stitching patterns match, the buckles match and you can even see where they've removed the Frye logo on Negan's pair.

Problem is, Negan's got expensive tastes for the apocalypse. They're $817 boots...

Frye Direct Purchase Link: http://www.thefryecompany.com/stone-engineer/d/88028

Alternate Purchase Link - $342 - Zappos

I'm thinking finding some cheaper options will be on the cards.

The only jackets I can find are Negan specific reproductions from cosplay companies that seem to vary greatly in quality. The style of it seems to be pretty uncommon, so it could even be custom. I'm considering just making one myself

If anyone's got a line on any other parts, feel free to post them up in here.

Last edited:
Re: Negan from The Walking Dead (ID'ing parts)

ID'ing the Jacket Zippers

So one angle I've taken in ID'ing the jacket is looking at the zips. The main zip is just your average YKK zipper, but the other, shorter, zippers have a logo on them I don't recognise.

M1hHGzo.png

Can anyone ID the logo on the small zip? My thoughts are that it's either just another zipper brand, or it's possibly the jacket brand (a stretch I know...).

the more I look at this jacket the more I'm convinced it's 100% custom...still need to ID the zip though...

Last edited:

Jacket Options

ysFCZh3.png
Ims792Z.png

I'm 99% sure that Negan's jacket is a custom job, the style of it just doesn't seem to be available in any existing brand jackets. However, there are a number of Negan replica jackets available from various sellers. These are some of the current options, they all have issues depending on your accuracy concerns.

FJackets - $169 Purchase Link
vewBwr6.png

- sleeves are constructed incorrectly
- front zip is wrong
- no princess seams on the back
- belt loops too narrow

The American Fashion - $115 Purchase Link
gkFCDTS.png

- stitching is incorrect in many areas
- front zip is wrong
- belt loops too narrow.
- belt too few holes

LeatherVendor - Purchase Link
UrDf0WN.png

- stitching is incorrect in many areas
- front zip is wrong
- belt loops too narrow.
- belt too narrow and too few holes

Flesh & Hide - $109.95 Purchase Link
z4xYyrW.png

- collar and zip position is wonky
- front zip is wrong
- belt loops too narrow
- belt too few holes

And it basically goes on like that for nearly every replica, all the same issues over and over. If accuracy is a big deal for you (which it is for me) custom/hand made will be the only option. I see much pattern making in my future.

Love how he is sporting Fryes.

If you need boots that could survive the Zombie apcolypse it would be a pair of those.

I would still have my original Campus boots if they were not stolen when I was in the service.

Their replacements are STILL going strong after 35 years of wear!!

Pants

So far I've spotted 2 different pairs of pants that Negan wears:

At the end of Season 6 (and parts of season 7, such as when Carl is 'visiting') it was a pair of plain grey pants with jean-style pockets.

fDDwZs8.png

For which these seem to be a pretty good match. (The only possible difference being the stitching across the middle of the back pockets, it's hard to spot that detail in the photos I have)

Lee Uniforms Men Slim Straight Pant - $24 - Purchase Link
WBfYu5z.png

The other pair he wears during his visits to Alexandria, and they're a plain grey pant in more of a dress style.
iqKtNMc.png

The sticking points on these is finding rear pockets with the right style edges around them, and belt loops that are wide enough.

Though it seems Negan might be a Lee man because these are pretty close...

Lee Men's Total Freedom Relaxed Classic Fit Flat Front Pant - $24 - Purchase Link
0G9pigS.png

The belt loops on these are too skinny (they could be modded pretty easily though), but the back pockets are pretty close. Also, strangely from these pictures the navy ones seem the closest colour match, though I imagine the charcoal would work too.

Last edited:

okay, well I'm very definitely on the "make my own jacket" train now. I have a large bundle of leather arriving tomorrow, and I'm neck deep in researching the jacket and patterning it out. Luckily it looks like the size of the screen used one will be just about perfect for me, so I can just 1:1 it.

More as I have it.

I'd have to agree on the costume department making a custom made-to-measure jacket for JDM. Next to Lucille, it's the most iconic piece about Negan.

so I can definitely see them ditching the idea of buying off the rack and going custom made.

but you never know..

I'd have to agree on the costume department making a custom made-to-measure jacket for JDM. Next to Lucille, it's the most iconic piece about Negan.

so I can definitely see them ditching the idea of buying off the rack and going custom made.

but you never know..

yeah I've done a lot of looking, and I can't even find anything that even matches the style of it. Weirdly it's a mirror image of the comic book version. But yeah, I'm making good progress on patterning it out. I was able to get a shot of a no 8 YKK zipper next to a ruler, measured out a 1 inch section, counted the teeth and was able to use those numbers to make my own rulers in several of the hi-res shots I've got. It sounds janky, but it's worked out pretty nicely so far.

as for those images, production stills are a godsend. If you just go to google images and search for 'negan' and then filter it by large megapixel images, you'll find a bunch of them. (Walking Dead production stills typically tend to be 4500x3000 pixels wide, so you can narrow the search even further with that)

----

On the WIP front, I got my bundle of leather in yesterday. 5 nice big hides of really soft premium lambskin. Feels like it'll be perfect for the jacket.

aPHkNUe.jpg

-----

On the ID'ing front, it would appear that Negan's knife is a Z Hunter ZB-082 Fixed Blade 17" Knife

Purchase Link: Amazon $10
1y0vhjj.png

It appears that they simple wrapped the green handle in some black covering (you can see the green peeking out in the second shot).
Yj7kDgO.png
BjnIkN6.png

Re: Negan from The Walking Dead (ID'ing parts/making the jacket)

Jacket WIP Post - 01

Well, I've had a fun afternoon...

Over the last week, I've been transferring all my sketches and measurements into a workable pattern in a notebook. (the pics should resize to the page..if not, I'll throw up some smaller ones)

aBnEZvZ.jpg

I was pretty happy with how it had come out, and as I continued to check measurements in various photos, everything seemed to be lining up.
Then today was a rather warm day, around 43C (110F), and i didn't feel like going outside, so what better thing to do than try out the pattern.

So I fired up Illustrator, and drew up a full size version of the pattern, then printed up a small scale version.

C6WjQVm.jpg

and then I screwed it all up in little balls. This was a trick I learned while working on my Kylo. It helps the paper behave more like fabric when you tape it all together.

And so, after about half an hour of taping...I had this...A tiny Negan jacket.

NExdZXA.jpg

I'm stupidly pleased with how this has come out on the first attempt. Straight away I can see a few things that need fixing.

- the sleeves need a little less of a bend in them
- the seams on the sleeves need to be rotated laterally around the sleeve a touch.
- the shape of the upper collar/collar stand and neckhole needs to be tweaked a bit.
- the proportions of the lapels need to be adjusted, they sit a bit high at the moment...

but on the whole, I'm solidly pleased with it.

Here's a few more angles

Sfp62Aw.jpg

HyNrmJR.jpg

yyZfQOC.jpg

Re: Negan from The Walking Dead (ID'ing parts/making the jacket)

Well, I think I've got the pattern down now. This is the V3 paper mockup (V2 was a bit of a mess), I made it a bit larger this time too.

Fixes from V1 include:
- changed the lapels to the correct shape and position
- corrected the seams on the sleeves
- fixed the sleeve cap on the sleeves so that they sat better
- overall gave it more of a taper towards the bottom (while still making sure it would fit)

5zqS6Id.jpg

0gSbbGX.jpg

Very happy with it now. Next step from here is to do a full size test jacket in calico. That might be a little ways off yet though.

well I said 'a little ways off', but I've hit a little bit of a waiting period for Kylo while I wait for some stuff to arrive, so I've printed up the full size pattern for the jacket, drawn them all out on calico and cut them up.

It's going to be another hot day tomorrow, so I'm going to spend it inside in the air con with the sewing machine, should be fun.

right, so this afternoon I started sewing up the calico test jacket

R97u99N.jpg

Sewing a lapel collar for the first time was pretty daunting. Assembly wise, it was the most complicated thing I've yet attempted. Once I hit the end of the process I had this jumble of calico, and I had no idea if it would turn out right.

vxT86DF.jpg

...but it did. More or less. The neck is sitting a bit funny (and thus pulling the whole collar up a little) because I haven't trimmed all the seam allowances up yet but early returns are encouraging. Now I've got to put the sleeves on, sew up the sides, do the lining and do a bit of topstitching.

OwD68IU.jpg

I'm getting a feeling I'll have to up the pattern size by about 10% when I'm done, but I'll reserve judgement till it's all together.

Good News: The pattern essentially works:

Fyzeufz.png

Bad News: as I suspected, it was about 10% too small overall.

auysuQu.png

It's not too bad though. I'm happy with the overall shape it has, it just needs to be bigger. These are the fixes I'll be aiming for in V4.

- make the torso about 2-3 inches longer
- make the sleeves wider in the upper arm (I couldn't even get my t-shirt sleeves into this one...lol)
- make the arm holes bigger.
- lengthen the sleeves by an inch or so
- rework the patterns for the collar and the facings so they sit nicer.
- just make it bigger overall. This version is more in line with the size of a shirt as opposed to a jacket. Rookie error, but this is why we make test ones.

First of all, GREAT stuff you did with the jacket, you got yourself a new admirer :thumbsup

Carl-Kills-a-Wolf-in-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-2.jpg since you already did such an amazing job with ID'ing the boots of Negan, could you possible help me ID these shoes from Carl?

Thank you in advance, keep up the amazing work! :D

TheIronist: looks like jerieri is right to me.

-----

on the jacket front, I've revised the pattern and will be making a new test jacket sometime this week. If it's alright, I'll start work on the proper version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back