My 3rd (and final I think) Lifesize 1:1 BB-8

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I'm trying to find time to complete my 3rd, and hopefully final, BB-8. I figured with all I've learned from the first two, this could be a better final version. He'll still be static and have lights and sound, but I have a plan I want to try out to make his head rotate. His head was 3D printed using PLA. I did a quick blast of primer to see the lines better but stopped when I realized it would be better to bondo everything first.

IMG_3672.JPG

I also did a test of an LED that's sound activated that I'm modifying to use for the secondary eye. I think it will look great once mounted inside; reacts great with the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome...well done!

Thank you!

Now that the holidays are over I have a little more time to work on some of my projects. I jumped back to my BB-8 and was able to bondo the head, sand, wash, and prime. There were still several spots I wasn't happy with so this is round two of bondo. Once it sets I'll sand, prime, and inspect again. Really trying to make this a great looking version. Working on the panels and body next...........

IMG_3731.JPG

This is after sanding the second round of bondo and washing.

image1.JPG

Then, another coat of primer. Looks great, I'm real pleased with how it turned out, the seam and print lines are gone. I have just a few very minor touch-ups and then I can start painting.

IMG_3735.JPG

Was able to get a bunch of work done on this. With the help of a friend I was able to get a body and panel kit with several 3D printed pieces. I know I'll get asked so I will answer now, my friend is no longer making these kits so I don't have a source, sorry. I have too many hours of bondoing, sanding, and priming to count. I only have a few minor touch-ups and final fit testing and then can start painting.

IMG_3746.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

Last edited:
The build is looking fantastic so far, the detailing looks so clean! What type of paint/finish are you planning on using?

Thanks, have several rounds of bondo, sanding, and primer! I'm going to use the same rattle can paints I used on the first two I did, covered with a light spray of clear gloss, then some acrylic paint to weather.

Got a little painting done today, I think I found a great orange spray paint color to use for this guy that'll keep me from having to pull out my airbrush. I wasn't happy with the normal spray paint colors I was finding. For the first BB-8 I used a color called "Island Orange" but it was too orange and I had to mute it out with some acrylic paints. For the next one I custom mixed my own orange color using acrylics. I found this Model Master can a few weeks ago called "Go Mango" and although it's not accurate, I think it looks great right out of the can. I hit these rings with two coats and then a few sporadic blasts of clear gloss. I think once I weather with some acrylics, it'll come together nicely.

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

Spent a little extra time last night making sure this was taped off nice and neat and then I painted the orange. Pulled off the tape today and I couldn't be happier. I love how the orange looks, it's really a nice color for this. Everything looks so clean and neat, it's almost going to be a shame when it comes time to weather.........

Just need to hit this now with a light coat of gloss.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
This is really cool!

Great work!

Thanks guys!

I was able to put a light coat of gloss on the head and then bolt the middle ring section on. Kind of nice having these in three pieces so I don't have to permanently glue them together. I'm starting to fit the ring on the top of the head as well as work on the LEDs. I was also able to get the body all primed. Moving right along...........

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG

Today I worked on finishing the main and secondary holo-projector eyes. On my first two builds I painted them black, but I remember reading somewhere that dark grey was a good option as well. I looked at different grey colors and settled on this one I hadn't seen before, it's called "Blindfold".

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

I painted both eyes and the ring around the holo-projector; it's another good color. Then I installed LEDs in both eyes.

IMG_3767.JPG

I also started cutting up some pieces of white acryclic for all the slots where I'll have LEDs in the head and body, it's about 13 total. Here's a test of one of the pieces loosely back-lit with white LEDs.

IMG_3770.JPG

Hope to get more done this week.....

Was able to make a little more progress, body is painted all white and hit with a coat of gloss...........

IMG_3771.JPG

I also started on the electronics for the body. Rather than use SCH-40 pipe pieces like I did on my last two, I decided to scratch build boxes out of black foam core board because it gives me greater flexibility with sizing.

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

Quick shot with one box mounted, I used 4 white LEDs in this spot.

IMG_3774.JPG

Then I was able to install all the panel covers.

IMG_3775.JPG

Going to try and finish up the rest of the LEDs today. Slowly coming together...........

I was able to cut and install a small piece of white acrylic that was left over from my Death Star Hangar theater room light panels. Just about ready to finish the head up, all LEDs have been installed.

IMG_3776.JPG

I changed the lower blinking eye from white to blue. I still need to rewire the audio module and install a switch, this was just a test to make sure all is working. The audio goes on for a few minutes, but you get the point.

I also installed all the panels and did a coat of black around the inside seams to keep any residual LED light from shining through.

IMG_3780.JPG

Just need to connect all the wires, add an on / off switch, a few light finishing touches, then I can start weathering.

Got a lot done today, all the panels were mounted, all the LEDs were wired, and the sound module was installed. I'm waiting for some small magnets to come in so I can mount the top cover of the dome. I had to Bondo one small mistake so I need to sand and paint that spot again, it's only about the size of an eraser head. After that, the only things left to do are weather (that will help knock down some of the shine) and add the eye lens and two antenna to the dome. Almost there!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back